• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
February 25-27 Winter Storm Part 3

Brewers

Radar is a bit deceiving tonight. Switched back to a snow/ice pellet mix here that was spiking radar returns a bit. LOVING the wind though,

Deceiving indeed. For the first time in about 12 years of watching EC radar it's updating within 1 minute of a new scan. Weird! Usually takes 5-7 minutes after a new scan to update

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some really interesting mesoscale structures over Lake Michigan, they seem to be holding together and probably have very heavy precip rates. One thing making this event special for southern Wisconsin is the strong flow off Lake Michigan (and off the other lakes to the east for that matter, there's one big fetch), the marine boundary layer is enhancing snow growth big time.

http://tempest.aos.wisc.edu/radar/wi3compflash.html

I can confirm that rates are pretty good with the activity coming off the lake. Visibility is down again with big flakes falling.

RPM showing another 2-5" through Thursday AM.

post-2499-0-09955700-1361936322.png

-0.2 downtown and 1 cm of accumulation. Amazing outside. I don't buy this lakeshore amounts of 5-10 cm that all the newscasts are saying..

From what I've been seeing on TV/highway cams, I'm not seeing much of a lakeshore/inland dichotomy in terms of snowfall. I too thought there'd be lesser amounts down your way but maybe not.

Time to hook up Grlevel2 to the TV and exercise on the elliptical for awhile. Nice reflectivity blob moving in from the NE, should be pretty intense out there by the time I'm done.

Amazing picture man. Thats spectacular. How much? :o

I'm guesstimating 2-3" (5-8 cm), that drift is from wind blowing off the lake piling snow in one spot and was about 1-2' (0.25-0.5 m) deep.

My 8 inch snowpack before this storm was so dense I could walk on top without falling through. With 6 to 12 more inches of heavy wet snow on top tonight (already have 6 new inches) and no big rainstorms for atleast the first two weeks of March, we could very well have snowcover to April!

We may have snowbanks in parking lots, but not snowcover. Lucky you. Although I will be in Paradise Mar 8-10 where they have a solid 3 feet.

Didnt measure but probably closer to 2" here. Whats interesting is that we have a white blanket of cememt but dont have the caking on the trees and stuff, probably a sign sleet has been mixing in. Looking at DTW obs (and they may have a little more snow than me) through 10pm the total precip on the day was 1.09", but 0.46" of that came after the rain/sleet turned to snow. So basically the model qpf (NAM) hourly ptype has been spot-on, but the snow is a ridiculously low ratio (5-1 or less) of cement.

Time to hook up Grlevel2 to the TV and exercise on the elliptical for awhile. Nice reflectivity blob moving in from the NE, should be pretty intense out there by the time I'm done.

I'm guesstimating 2-3" (5-8 cm), that drift is from wind blowing off the lake piling snow in one spot and was about 1-2' (0.25-0.5 m) deep.

Thats amazing man, enjoy and stay safe :) seems like everybody's getting a piece of this storm, Quite intense and large (size wise) most definitely. 

Thats not bad, but those are some large drifts :o How much do you think you'll end up when all said and done? Gotta love Winter ;)

We are getting bombed with snow in my area of the city. Snow sticking to trees, accumulating rapidly. Temperature down to -0.8 celsius. Bust of 2 degrees celsius by EC so far.

Same man. 

About 2.1cm down already and coming at a good clip. Look at the radar, nice DBZ moving in from across Hamilton, be prepared. ;)

What kind of accumulations does it give? Also, link? I've never seen these charts.

Here's the link to the RGEM precip charts:

http://collaboration.cmc.ec.gc.ca/cmc/cmdn/pcpn_type/pcpn_type_gem_reg.html

Here's a snapshot from tonight's 00z RGEM for 3z (10 pm):

post-229-0-99125300-1361937431_thumb.png

This model gives 20-25 mm QPF up to 7 am (12z) tomorrow morning for the Toronto area.

NWUS53 KMKX 270352

LSRMKX

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MILWAUKEE/SULLIVAN WI

952 PM CST TUE FEB 26 2013

..TIME... ...EVENT... ...CITY LOCATION... ...LAT.LON...

..DATE... ....MAG.... ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....

..REMARKS..

0946 PM HEAVY SNOW 2 WSW RACINE 42.72N 87.82W

02/26/2013 M7.5 INCH RACINE WI TRAINED SPOTTER

STORM TOTAL SO FAR. SNOW STARTED AROUND 130 PM. STEADY

LIGHT SNOW NOW.

000NWUS53 KMKX 270352LSRMKXPRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORTNATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MILWAUKEE/SULLIVAN WI952 PM CST TUE FEB 26 2013..TIME...   ...EVENT...      ...CITY LOCATION...     ...LAT.LON.....DATE...   ....MAG....      ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....            ..REMARKS..0946 PM     HEAVY SNOW       2 WSW RACINE            42.72N 87.82W02/26/2013  M7.5 INCH        RACINE             WI   TRAINED SPOTTER            STORM TOTAL SO FAR. SNOW STARTED AROUND 130 PM. STEADY            LIGHT SNOW NOW.

More snow moving in off the lake, looks like we could approach 10".

Archived