• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
February 21st - 23rd Winter Storm Part 2

Powerball

IND has 1-2" sleet/snow, around 0.10" ice for LAF...per the zone forecast. 

Not sure I see ice accumulation being a big deal here at all, only with the idea that it will be a pretty short duration "thump" of precipitation. I think it'll be 95% snow/sleet...with some freezing drizzle post big band. Then we torch Friday afternoon, and it's all a distant memory.

I actually like Hoosier's call right now. 

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a bizarre map.

I really don't like the presentation of that map. Amounts up to 3.9" get you into the 2-4" range, while 4-4.1" gets you 4-6". That's why it looks so weird. When I did the graphical wxstory yesterday, I tried to roughly draw the contours that mark the 1" increment ranges, IMO that's a better presentation than our map.

Sorry Alek. Congrats Geos.

Blue=2-4", pink=4-6"

attachicon.gifLOT snowfall 254pm 2:20.png

Someone's getting wild with MS paint.

Our low is entering Arizona, looks decent but it's small. Already getting lots of clouds and some precip across the plains, jet circulation is sucking air northwards and it's condensing as it goes up and over the cold dome. http://mapmaker.aos.wisc.edu/scr3/sat/g8/g8visflash.html

I really don't like the presentation of that map. Amounts up to 3.9" get you into the 2-4" range, while 4-4.1" gets you 4-6". That's why it looks so weird. When I did the graphical wxstory yesterday, I tried to roughly draw the contours that mark the 1" increment ranges, IMO that's a better presentation than our map.

That was a nice looking map you did. Kudos.

NWS is the best in the biz, no doubt about it. But sometimes the warning/advisory layouts look a little strange. Of course this storm is a huge PITA to forecast I'm sure. I guess the criteria may be different down there, from LSX to PAH...but it just looks, funny (northern part of image).

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2013-02-20 at 1.49.37 PM.png

I think ILX is just laughing at east central Illinois. I'm sitting in a doughnut of not even an advisory.

Also, they reminded me like this:

snow-ytd-2013.png

IND has 1-2" sleet/snow, around 0.10" ice for LAF...per the zone forecast.

Not sure I see ice accumulation being a big deal here at all, only with the idea that it will be a pretty short duration "thump" of precipitation. I think it'll be 95% snow/sleet...with some freezing drizzle post big band. Then we torch Friday afternoon, and it's all a distant memory.

I actually like Hoosier's call right now.

18z NAM seemed to be a tick colder for us with 3" or a little more verbatim. We need all the colder ticks we can get.

I think ILX is just laughing at east central Illinois. I'm sitting in a doughnut of not even an advisory.

Also, they reminded me like this:

You're good to go now. WWA been given.

And Olney FTW on that chart. Fun irrelevant fact, my current boss grew up in Olney. White squirrels!

Kinda weird to see it on the warmer end of models. I do wonder if the wet runs may be just a little too aggressive with precip amounts given the mega dry layer that will need to be overcome.

Uh oh, you're backpedaling. Time to lower amounts? T-0.5"?

BTW, we can hug the RGEM too...though barely. ;)

http://meteocentre.com/models/get_accum.php?mod=gemreg&run=18&type=SN&hi=000&hf=048〈=en&map=na

Good for MO, they deserve some love once and a while too.

I agree. Never a fan of seeing a storm hit elsewhere, but KS/MO are often left out. Should be a good winter storm there.

Meanwhile, here the foreign models and NAM would tend to average a 2" snowfall for us (and a denser 2" snow, unlike the plentiful 2-3" fluffy snowfalls this month), but the GFS refuses to play ball.

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 9 PM THURSDAY TO 6 PM

CST FRIDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN MILWAUKEE/SULLIVAN HAS ISSUED A

WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW AND BLOWING SNOW...WHICH IS IN

EFFECT FROM 9 PM THURSDAY TO 6 PM CST FRIDAY.

* TIMING...STEADY LIGHT...TO AT TIMES MODERATE...SNOW WILL BEGIN

BY 9 PM THURSDAY NIGHT AND CONTINUE THROUGH THE OVERNIGHT HOURS.

LIGHT SNOW WILL CONTINUE THROUGH THE DAY FRIDAY...TAPERING OFF

IN THE LATE AFTERNOON AND EVENING.

* SNOW ACCUMULATIONS...3 TO 4 INCHES BY FRIDAY MORNING...WITH AN

ADDITIONAL 1 TO 2 INCHES DURING THE DAY FRIDAY. STORM TOTAL SNOW

OF 4 TO 6 INCHES.

* WINDS...EAST 10 TO 20 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 25 MPH OVERNIGHT

THURSDAY INTO FRIDAY MORNING. WINDS BECOMING VARIABLE 5 TO 10

MPH FRIDAY AFTERNOON.

* IMPACTS...SNOW-COVERED ROADS ALONG WITH REDUCED VISIBILITIES

WITH BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW WILL MAKE TRAVEL

HAZARDOUS...ESPECIALLY OVERNIGHT THURSDAY NIGHT INTO THE FRIDAY

MORNING COMMUTE.

Fort Smith Arkansas getting hammered with snow http://mesowest.utah.edu/cgi-bin/droman/meso_base.cgi?stn=KFSM&unit=0&timetype=LOCAL Mixed precip occurring across a large swath of AR, only a bit of freezing rain so far.

Band of precip stretching from Colorado to Louisiana http://tempest.aos.wisc.edu/radar/sp3compflash.html

I'd trust the 18z Kenyan over the RPM/NAM duo

lol.  Good stuff.  Of course the Kenyan runs every 1z because it runs a lot.

I'm gonna bump my original 1-3" call to 3-5".  Think we'll get a quick burst of heavy snow for a few hours tomorrow evening.  That should get us to a quick 2-3".  After that initial band we'll probably have light snow the rest of the night.  NWS went with an advisory here.

lol.  Good stuff.  Of course the Kenyan runs every 1z because it runs a lot.

I'm gonna bump my original 1-3" call to 3-5".  Think we'll get a quick burst of heavy snow for a few hours tomorrow evening.  That should get us to a quick 2-3".  After that initial band we'll probably have light snow the rest of the night.  NWS went with an advisory here.

:lmao:

DVN mentions the quick hitting nature of this event.  Looks like most of the snow falls in the first 3-4hrs, with just residuals after that.  Looks like it will be rip city though for a little while...

WHEN SNOW ARRIVES...ALL LOCATIONS SHOULD SEE ROUGHLY3 TO 5 HOURS OF MODERATE TO HEAVY SNOW AT SNOW ACCUMULATION RATESOF .75 TO 1.5 INCHES AN HOUR.THURSDAY NIGHT...SWATCH OF SNOW WILL CONTINUE TO MOVE NORTHEAST WITHHEAVIEST SNOW NORTHEAST OF ENTIRE CWFA BY 1 TO 2 AM. CENTRAL ANDNORTHERN SECTIONS SHOULD ALSO EXPERIENCE 3 TO 4 HOURS OF MODERATETO HEAVY SNOW WITH ACCUMULATE RATES OF .75 TO 1.5 INCHES AN HOUR.THE HEAVIEST SNOW AMOUNTS WILL TEND TO BE ALONG AND WEST OF ADUBUQUE TO MUSCATINE TO KEOKUK IOWA LINE. SLIGHTLY LESSER AMOUNTSWILL BE EAST OF THIS AXIS AS THE SYSTEM SLOWLY WEAKENS. ESSENTIALLY80-90 PERCENT OF THE TOTAL PRECIPITATION FOR THIS EVENT WILL FALLWITH THESE INITIAL BANDS OF SNOW. 

Archived