e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
February 21st - 23rd Winter Storm Part 2

Powerball

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Live tower cam video from KSN in Wichita: http://www.ksn.com/content/weather/liveradar.aspx

When I saw .35" liquid equiv. had fallen on Wichita by noon I was thinking this could really add up fast and maybe if they get a good hit tonight would break the all-time snowstorm record of 15".  But then I saw the official noon report is 3".  Kind of low ratios for 25 degrees....maybe some measurement error with the liquid equivalent.  Snow's still going strong there now.

Euro still advertising 100-300 J/kg of CAPE  for an extended period for the STL area tomorrow. A lot of QPF showing up on the maps from the convective parameterization scheme. Looks like a rocking good time. I still really expect rapid p-type changes on the fly. Might be a sweet spot to the NW of the metro that gets in on the convection but stays cold enough for all snow and ends up jackpotting a 8+" total.

CNN is trolling

"North of where the biggest snow will fall, Chicago could receive what would be its largest single snowfall of the year -- 4 inches, Miller said. The city usually gets up to 4 feet of snow a year. So far this year, only about a foot has fallen, he said."

Lol. 

Dramatic effect indeed!

RPM in line with the NAM.

NWS is the best in the biz, no doubt about it. But sometimes the warning/advisory layouts look a little strange. Of course this storm is a huge PITA to forecast I'm sure. I guess the criteria may be different down there, from LSX to PAH...but it just looks, funny (northern part of image).

NWS is the best in the biz, no doubt about it. But sometimes the warning/advisory layouts look a little strange. Of course this storm is a huge PITA to forecast I'm sure. I guess the criteria may be different down there, from LSX to PAH...but it just looks, funny (northern part of image).

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2013-02-20 at 1.49.37 PM.

TSA's page looks funny too.

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/tsa/

TSA did that on purpose, according to their discussion.  They expect higher snow amounts in a small band south of lower amounts.  

I see their thinking but it does look a bit odd on the map, more like if there was a topographic feature there or something, not flat Oklahoma plains lol.

Yeah should have thought of the Ouachita Mountains!

A full blown weenie must've wrote that; perhaps down by Dodgeville or Platteville, which may even be out of the CWA, but beyond that, the 3-5" range for Madison looks ok, but not 3-5" then 1-2" additional.

Yup I agree, they really shouldn't include the whole CWA in one SWS since there's a decent snow gradient.

it's like a 2" CWA spread, relax

I thought they were actually using the 12z GFS which shows way less snow in Madison, and then assumed they must be referring to the areas way to the southwest that are projected to get the amounts the SWS talks about. Looks like they're just sticking with the higher precip runs from last night though, which show alot of the region getting larger amounts.

killer dry wedge

Yeah, this is one of those where you look out your window and nothing is going on, then 10 minutes later it might be coming down good.

Thinking we could see a short period of decent rates here tomorrow night (maybe .5-1" per hour?). Normally don't like going with halves but since it's a small event, I'm liking the 1.5-2.5" range for LAF. Might be able to bump to 2-3" later on if confidence grows in a good front end thump. :weenie:

Yeah, this is one of those where you look out your window and nothing is going on, then 10 minutes later it might be coming down good.

Thinking we could see a short period of decent rates here tomorrow night (maybe .5-1" per hour?). Normally don't like going with halves but since it's a small event, I'm liking the 1.5-2.5" range for LAF. Might be able to bump to 2-3" later on if confidence grows in a good front end thump. :weenie:

Chuck them :weenie: :weenie: :weenie: deep.

Archived