• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
00Z Model Suite

I would say the chances are fairly good, given that the American models look much better at 500 MB than the sfc, and the sfc fields seem to be having issues to be honest, and the range we're at.

The lack of consistency by all the models makes it hard to trust or discount any solution right now. It seems the "consensus" has flipped back and forth multiple times with this storm, from the very point it showed up on the Euro like 5 days ago...

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really don't think the EURO is going to change much...its within its bullseye range now. Furthermore, I do not think that the NAM and GFS are causes for concern as they look good aloft. I think most will agree that the issue here is those freakin precip bombs. I have a feeling that once those precip bombs go away, there will be a lot of people going "oh $****!"

just my 1.5 cents

Guest someguy

If the ECMWF is anything like 12Z, I could care less what everything else shows, to be honest.

pretty dumb view to have and I love the euro so Much folks think I married to it

So, correct me if I'm wrong, but...

1) We need a phase between a wave in the desert SW right now and a wave that's on an A380 somewhere over the Gulf of Alaska/NE Pacific at the moment.

2) We don't have very good measurements of what the wave in the PACNW is doing.

Combine those two and we really have no f'ing clue what's going to happen because, right now, looking at the 00z/18z comparison by Don, 100 miles is the difference between 0" and 8"+...

God, it sucks being a weather weenie...:arrowhead:

It has also been the most inconsistent of all the modeling.

Your optimism is a little odd, the euro is the best model but its not perfect and it has a bad run from time to time. It now has no support at all....NONE

If things were reversed would you honestly not rather have the GFS/GGEM/NAM/UKMET/SREF all showing a huge monster blizzard and the euro OTS?

As much as the euro is the better model I would feel much better with the reverse situation then this one.

Your optimism is a little odd, the euro is the best model but its not perfect and it has a bad run from time to time. It now has no support at all....NONE

If things were reversed would you honestly not rather have the GFS/GGEM/NAM/UKMET/SREF all showing a huge monster blizzard and the euro OTS?

As much as the euro is the better model I would feel much better with the reverse situation then this one.

I would almost be more worried if the Euro were OTS and all other modeling were showing a blizzard at this range, yes.

where are you looking? I'm showing the GEM only out to 36 hrs. You do realize that you have to actually do the math in your head to see what part of the run is out while its coming out right?

Phineas is correct, its well out to sea...you might want to double check sources before you criticize a post. Most people are not going to be giving false info.

There is actually a ton of support for the EC solution from both the GFS and NAM aloft. Ignore the surface relections at this time. Both made big improvements on the 00z run. Unless the euro takes a dive bomb tonight off the coast and changes continuity you can't go against it.

Phineas is correct, its well out to sea...you might want to double check sources before you criticize a post. Most people are not going to be giving false info.

I wasn't criticizing...only asking for where he is getting that because the link I have is stuck at 36hrs.

http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/model_forecast/global_e.html

I would almost be more worried if the Euro were OTS and all other modeling were showing a blizzard at this range, yes.

One other issue, its one thing to choose the 0z euro guidance over all other 0z guidance...but that is not what you are doing here. You are choosing the 12z Euro output over all other 18z and then 0z model guidance. Of course we do not have statistical probabilities on that choice but I am pretty sure its not a statistically good move. If the 0z Euro comes in the same as 12z or further west then 12z then I might be with you...but I doubt that right now. My gut says the Euro will be more amplified then other guidance from 0z, I do think the upper levels looked better then the surface played out on the GFS and NAM, but I think it will be east of the 12z by a bit. I guess it depends on where you are how that is taken. If you live in Boston that is probably a win. If you live in DC that is probably the last straw that breaks the camels back of hope.

To have any expectations for the Euro, I would have had to see the GGEM show at least a mdt hit fo the I-95 crowd. I really have no expecations at this time. If one thinks about it, during the most recent event with the GL storm, the GFS was way SE, Euro way NW. Eventually they came to a mddleground. I suspect that this may be taking place. Perhaps the GFS is slightly too dry and the Euro is overly wet and aggressive.

GGEM looks interesting for interior NE if not all of NE...stalled out system vcty of Gulf of Maine that eventually throws precip all the way back into NYS into PA possibly. Not sure how realistic that is but didn't 12Z Euro indicate a pretty large deformation zone setting up over the interior of the northeast w/ pronounced dryslotting in So. NE? Seemed aggressive.

a bit too much pessimism here...while the 0z GFS and NAM are both similar looking(odd) at the surface...they both do throw precip back inland and close to I-95...which is an improvement from their 18z runs. even tho the surface depiction is different from the Euro, in terms of track they both moved west some...complicated set up and lots left to be resolved obviously. Now if the Euro shifts east or is back OTS tonight well then maybe this one is done.

What expectations are there to have? Barring the fact that were 24 hours closer to the event, gfs has gone from storn to no storm to semi-storm, euro has gone from no storm to storn, while all the other models have done basically the same in some form or another...

who knows? i dont have any expectations...this is certainly a chaotic and unique situation with the models trying to get a handle on this. its interesting regardless of what the outcome actually is. and if there is a storm it will be very difficult to give 'credit" to any model as they have all shown wide variations from run to run over the past week.

Archived