EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
Blizzard of 2013 Forecast Discussion Part II

forkyfork

• Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the guy on News 12 Dave is really having a good discussion on this storm...he is blasting people on social media who put up maps and thinks thats exactly what is going to happen without taking reality of what storms do into the situation. He basically just declared this storm over for most of NJ with perhaps just some lighter snows later. He says the snow will be over for NJ by 2 AM and expects those blizzard warnings to be taken down.

He really seems like he knows his stuff. He said this was always New Englands storm. His station never bought into the big hype of big amounts

There's a plethora of meso/macro-scale features with this storm - not even taking into account banding, which is common, but the mix/snow line has taken more undulations than I can remember in any storm for the area, and some locations poking radical totals while others very nearby are snow starved - there seems to be no/little linearity to it. Some say the LIE has been the dividing line, I guess we'll see with the final totals tomorrow morning. I have a feeling the reputation for this storm is still being etched in our memory with these neighborhood to neighborhood distinctions (not even a matter of county lines).

the guy on News 12 Dave is really having a good discussion on this storm...he is blasting people on social media who put up maps and thinks thats exactly what is going to happen without taking reality of what storms do into the situation. He basically just declared this storm over for most of NJ with perhaps just some lighter snows later. He says the snow will be over for NJ by 2 AM and expects those blizzard warnings to be taken down.

He really seems like he knows his stuff. He said this was always New Englands storm. His station never bought into the big hype of big amounts

Perhaps with his bold prediction he can move on from News 12 to bigger and better things.

I really don't know what to make of it all. Honestly, where the position of the low is now, looks like the further SE track that the GFS had been showing for days. I can not believe I'm saying this but the GFS might have schooled every other model. I'm still going to wait for the bands in PA to come east and see how far back west that the main band makes but it certainly doesn't look good for the home team.

I gotta say, the GFS won this storm. We've had about 1.2" total water equiv today, .5" of it snow at a paltry 8:1 ratio, the length of non-frozen precip, the sharp cutoff west of the city, and the weaker northern stream influence all point towards what the GFS has showed since 6z yesterday. I still think we can see a good 2-4" if the snow wraps through later on, but as for the position and strength of the storm, and mid-level dynamics, GFS had it.

I really don't know what to make of it all. Honestly, where the position of the low is now, looks like the further SE track that the GFS had been showing for days. I can not believe I'm saying this but the GFS might have schooled every other model. I'm still going to wait for the bands in PA to come east and see how far back west that the main band makes but it certainly doesn't look good for the home team.

I have a feeling we are getting screwed tonight.

Dude, most people have only seen .6" QPF...the forecast is for 1.5-2.0" of QPF from most of the models. We haven't seen the CCB line up, and all the news/radio stations were saying the heaviest part of this system was going to be 8pm on for the NYC metro area.

I wish we could eliminate the pessimism/trolling in this thread and just let the storm play out. There's a list of people who need to be suspended or banned, and moderators should be getting stricter during a large event and not tolerate this garbage. 

They went ahead and re-issued the winter storm warnings as well

Winter Storm Warning

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MOUNT HOLLY NJ
638 PM EST FRI FEB 8 2013

.RAPIDLY INTENSIFYING LOW PRESSURE EAST OF SOUTHERN NEW JERSEY
WILL MOVE TO NEAR NANTUCKET EARLY SATURDAY.

NJZ001-008-010-012>014-090745-
/O.CON.KPHI.WS.W.0002.000000T0000Z-130209T1100Z/
SUSSEX-MORRIS-SOMERSET-MIDDLESEX-WESTERN MONMOUTH-
EASTERN MONMOUTH-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...NEWTON...MORRISTOWN...SOMERVILLE...
NEW BRUNSWICK...FREEHOLD...SANDY HOOK
638 PM EST FRI FEB 8 2013

...WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 AM EST
SATURDAY...

* LOCATIONS...THE POCONOS...THE LEHIGH VALLEY AND FAR NORTHERN
  NEW JERSEY NORTH OF INTERSTATE 78.

* HAZARD TYPES...HEAVY SNOW.

* ACCUMULATIONS...SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 6 TO 12 INCHES...ALONG
  WITH AROUND A TRACE OF ICE. SOME HIGHER AMOUNTS IN MORRIS
  COUNTY

* TIMING...TREACHEROUS TRAVEL WILL BE DEVELOPING IN THE WARNING
  AREA DURING THE EVENING. PREPARE FOR MAJOR TRAVEL DELAYS IN
  NORTHEAST AND CENTRAL NEW JERSEY. SNOW WILL TAPER OFF TOWARD
  SUNRISE SATURDAY.

* VISIBILITY AT TIMES NEAR ONE HALF OF A MILE IN PERIODS OF HEAVY
  SNOW WITH GUSTY NORTHERLY WINDS OF 20 TO 30 MPH BLOWING AND
  DRIFTING THE SNOW. TEMPERATURES WILL BE FALLING THROUGH THE
  LOWER 30S.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER STORM WARNING MEANS SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF SNOW...
SLEET...AND ICE ARE EXPECTED OR OCCURRING. STRONG WINDS ARE ALSO
POSSIBLE. THIS WILL MAKE TRAVEL VERY HAZARDOUS OR IMPOSSIBLE.

&&

makes no sense ..says north of i-78 but is for Monmouth and Middlesex as well

Like I said before, this thread is unreadable. Holy **** I've never seen so many manchilds whine about snow before. 

I believe you don't understand that for many of the members weather is a hobby. Like any hobby someone might have. People complain when their team loses for example, or when the weather is not good for fishing or whatever makes your hobby not as exciting. You live in NJ and are supposed to get a lot of snow, if you enjoy the weather and doesn't get anything then come to the forums to discuss it. Otherwise leave the forums for the hobbyists and go watch The Weather Channel or your local news if all you want is a simple weather report.

How can all the models bust like this?

how? its not your first time at the rodeo, we have a lengthy list of collossal model busts, its that everyone forgets about them too easily, we need to have a forum where all the big snowstorm model busts can be kept track of because there is virtually one every single year, some worse than others but people do not learn from their mistakes. Models are only models. They are not the end all be all, people need to stop hugging qpf totals especially on the NAM. The weenies have to stop just trumpeting every solution that shows the most snow.

the models are not good 10 days out and they are sketchy even a day out. People need to accept that. Forecasters need to forecast with more things in mind than models. There are some great mets who have been bashed recently because they just did not follow what the models were spewing out but put their own thought into it. We need more of them and less of the other ones.

Dude, most people have only seen .6" QPF...the forecast is for 1.5-2.0" of QPF from most of the models. We haven't seen the CCB line up, and all the news/radio stations were saying the heaviest part of this system was going to be 8pm on for the NYC metro area.

I wish we could eliminate the pessimism/trolling in this thread and just let the storm play out. There's a list of people who need to be suspended or banned, and moderators should be getting stricter during a large event and not tolerate this garbage. 

This +1000

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Archived