Newest Member
    Toothache
Feb 8-9th Blizzard Thread

dryslot

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was worse than 05 here

I think it was worse than '05 just about everywhere. The Cape had a lot more snow in '05 though the damage in this one down there was higher...close call on how to rate it down there, but def NW of the Cape is was a worse storm.

With reports of 20"+ amounts up and down the valley this has to be top 5 storm for places like Springfield and Northampton.

undoubtedly the most i have measured here in the nine winters i have been in these parts

24 event total...21-22 otg avg 25 hour duration...today first time i used six hr measurement totals,actually i adjusted down one inch..due to long duration, etc.

next jan 12 18 inches (event total could have been closer to 20 with settling/compaction)

third was the feb 06...16-17 inches but only have the city had big totals with this one...just east of me amounts quickly climbed over 20 and by the time one got to hamden it was almost two feet

What do people think the odds of BOS getting consecutive <20" winters is?

Lol

Even less than the odds of a > 20" snowstorm in Boston (7 since record-keeping).

But not 0.

Mean over time is a powerful thing. At the same time, we've been having many "once in a lifetime" events in the past 2 years.

Lol

Even less than the odds of a > 20" snowstorm in Boston (7 since record-keeping).

But not 0.

Mean over time is a powerful thing. At the same time, we've been having many "once in a lifetime" events in the past 2 years.

For New England, I think we've really only had one true "once in a lifetime" event recently and that was the October 2011 Snowstorm. This current storm is probably a once per 30 year type storm though so it was certainly rare, but most will see a storm like this more than once in their life.

We've def had our share of very big and impressive events as a whole though recently. Some very impressive snowstorms in just the past 3 years.

Archived