Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Feb 8-9th Blizzard Thread

dryslot

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The nature of the returns in SE MA/RI is pretty brutal but if you look at the NAM...there's maybe some hope in the next few hours as the flow turns a bit more NE.

I don't know if you and I are going to get into the fun like the others, I kind of doubt it, but we should do okay.

To God's ears.

How far does everybody think the death band will lift nw? Where does it stop and pivot? I'd be willing to bet that it travels farther than most think...

You must be getting whacked pretty good right now if I am. Can't imagine what those super bands are like.  Looks like a firehose has set up through FIT - ORH - HFD.

What's going on with this storm?  Is this the radar being attenuated or are we seeing the Ginxy gravity waves etc?
Notable pulses up and down.

http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?rid=BOX&product=N0R&overlay=11101111&loop=yes

EDIT you can see suddenly some drying on the east edge of the death band and suddenly it's getting crunched?

What's going on with this storm?  Is this the radar being attenuated or are we seeing the Ginxy gravity waves etc?

Notable pulses up and down.

http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?rid=BOX&product=N0R&overlay=11101111&loop=yes

EDIT you can see suddenly some drying on the east edge of the death band and suddenly it's getting crunched?

Looks like the meat of the main course is about to begin.

Looks like the meat of the main course is about to begin.

I hope so Bob, looks worse and worse by the update.  Looks like dogshi* right now.

Weird, soon as there was south west rotating out of Albany the Wizz/CT Rain band lost the pellets/ice/intensities.  Still nice, but narrow band considering the region.  Note at that time the snow pushed west towards NYC and a new band formed south of Block Island.

Up by Ray it's opened up, by you, by me.  And these returns down here, check the dual pol at least until last check (phone is upstairs) that was sleet at times.

For the "height" of the storm the radar looks like ****.

Hoping as 8h winds come to NE and some cold air is dragged down we see things light up.

I just captured this image of the storm approaching the benchmark:

post-313-0-53834700-1360381549_thumb.jpg

RGEM takes it slowly northeast to about 150 miles east of BOS by 12z with a wicked looking N-NE gradient over southern New England. Would expect gusts to 70-80 mph inland and 80-100 mph on the coast the way this is winding up (from NNE).

The deformation band would likely be extended northeast to run about 50 miles inland west of PWM to west of BOS by 06z and then would probably dissolve into the general banding of the storm later in the overnight. Some astronomical snowfall totals are possible, would not rule out 40-60 inch totals in some places close to this deformation band but also the storm is so wound up that some narrow dry slots are probably going to develop between bands. With the blowing and drifting this may not be very easy to measure by Sunday morning.

This will be ranked in the top ten of all-time storms going as far back as records extend, for New England.

I hope so Bob, looks worse and worse by the update.  Looks like dogshi* right now.

Weird, soon as there was south west rotating out of Albany the Wizz/CT Rain band lost the pellets/ice/intensities.  Still nice, but narrow band considering the region.  Note at that time the snow pushed west towards NYC and a new band formed south of Block Island.

Up by Ray it's opened up, by you, by me.  And these returns down here, check the dual pol at least until last check (phone is upstairs) that was sleet at times.

For the "height" of the storm the radar looks like ****.

Hoping as 8h winds come to NE and some cold air is dragged down we see things light up.

Much better snow here now.  Flakes and flakes!  I'm sending them up to you!

Regarding the collapse of the death band, I think the radar has been and is a bit deceiving. As soon as the heavy red echoes began to fade the character of the snow changed from big wettish flakes with occasional sleet mixed in to small dry crystalline snow… And the smaller flake/weaker echo stuff is MUCH more impressive in terms of how its accumulating. Don’t mistake the radar keying in on the size and type of precip for true heavy snow, we’re actually getting much more snow now the echoes have lightened. Don’t know if it’s like that for everyone, but here in New Haven I’ll take this stuff over the sleety mix at the height of the band any day.

what?

Falmouth.  We had snow since 8:00 this morning, moderate, but none of it "stuck."  If it were 5 degrees colder, I would have 2 or 3 feet.  But that doesn't count.  So instead, I have 8 inches of mud, hurricane force winds, trees falling like dominoes, houses rocking off their foundations, and Ugg clad women chasing their bonnets, swimmingly.  And electricity.  So far.  

It's about as good as it gets.  Especially when those women come back missing a thread or two.

What is the big deal with that? Easily less then a 24 hr storm.....much less.

Yeah..the stall kind of failed.  It slows for a bit, then shifts east.  But the Euro idea of a multi-hour stall south of the cape was wrong.  Good because this is laying waste to the regions power grid as is.

Regarding the collapse of the death band, I think the radar has been and is a bit deceiving. As soon as the heavy red echoes began to fade the character of the snow changed from big wettish flakes with occasional sleet mixed in to small dry crystalline snow… And the smaller flake/weaker echo stuff is MUCH more impressive in terms of how its accumulating. Don’t mistake the radar keying in on the size and type of precip for true heavy snow, we’re actually getting much more snow now the echoes have lightened. Don’t know if it’s like that for everyone, but here in New Haven I’ll take this stuff over the sleety mix at the height of the band any day.

Yeah, what we saw all at once was a shift aloft.  8h you had a warm pocket check it out.  When that got obliterated the snow didn't go anywhere we just lost the bright banding etc/sleet

Why are you posting....if things are so awful?

Everyone has a viewpoint, they're all valid. 

I had forecasts for 18-24 or 24+ here for most of the day.  Not happening I don't think, or even close.  I think I'm still in the 14-18/18-24.  NBD, it happens.

A day ago this looked like it might last into Sunday morning when models had it stalling.  It was at that point truly historic.  It's out of here mid to late morning, not quite even a 24 hour storm.    When we lost the stall we lost the epic aside of those fortunate enough to get into those crazy bands.

Archived