joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 8th-9th Snowstorm/Blizzard Event Observations

WeatherFox

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FWIW I have friends in Boston; we had looked to move there last year as my wife's company moved to the area. alas i did not want to give up my pension here in NJ and let's face it, no one really wants to leave metro NYC, or even Philly, for a place like Boston:) anyway they are reporting snow covering their 1st floor windows; likening it to the Boxing Day storm here.

That was a ~30 minute period of hands down some of the heaviest snow I've ever experienced, including the storms I've been through here and in Chicago and some epic mountain snowstorms in the Sierra Nevada and Wasatch in Utah. Definite blizzard conditions with visibility down to around 1/16 mile and wind gusts easily over 35 mph. After a brief lull prior to the band, measured another 1.2" of snow between 2 and 3am, bringing the storm total so far in College Point to 10.5", most of which probably occurred under the band. 6.5" of snow since 11pm. Great stuff and pretty amazing storm. With waves of light to occasionally moderate snow over the next few hours, I think the storm total here will end up between 12 and 13". 

That was a ~30 minute period of hands down some of the heaviest snow I've ever experienced, including the storms I've been through here and in Chicago and some epic mountain snowstorms in the Sierra Nevada and Wasatch in Utah. Definite blizzard conditions with visibility down to around 1/16 mile and wind gusts easily over 35 mph. After a brief lull prior to the band, measured another 1.2" of snow between 2 and 3am, bringing the storm total so far in College Point to 10.5", most of which probably occurred under the band. 6.5" of snow since 11pm. Great stuff and pretty amazing storm. With waves of light to occasionally moderate snow over the next few hours, I think the storm total here will end up between 12 and 13". 

Amazing. I seriously underestimated how potent this backlash would be. Usually the backlash here is worth maybe a half a foot but this one is ridiculous. BTW-still insane snow rates now here.

Could someone post/repost 2-day snowstorm record (and maybe top 5) historical accumulations for various spots in CT/LI/MA? Thanks, and apologies if I'm just not finding it.

Eric

@EricHolthaus, formerly @WSJWeather

Amazing. I seriously underestimated how potent this backlash would be. Usually the backlash here is worth maybe a half a foot but this one is ridiculous. BTW-still insane snow rates now here.

I did too, I started thinking we would end up closer to 8", considering only 4" at 11pm. Now I wish I had only taken a video when I was out there, instead of just photos, guess I was too excited to think straight lol. Following radar trends, looks like we could get clipped by 20 dBZ echoes from the backside of the band as it drops south through Westchester, so the ~1' storm total seems doable.

That band is incredible, almost looks like a bowing out squall line as it pushes into Suffolk.

That was the heaviest snow I've ever seen. Wow.

Glad to have a met agree with me.  And it def pushed through fast like it was bowing out.  Totally looks like that on radar in southern Nassau if u check out this link.  There were some gusty winds with it.  It was almost dead calm before that.  Now I'm still in mod snow but the winds almost calm.  Slight breeze.

http://www.wunderground.com/radar/radblast.asp?zoommode=pan&prevzoom=zoom&num=6&frame=0&delay=15&scale=1.000&noclutter=0&ID=OKX&type=N0R&showstorms=0&lat=40.76090622&lon=-73.32774353&label=Deer%20Park,%20NY&map.x=400&map.y=240&scale=1.000&centerx=400&centery=240&showlabels=1&rainsnow=0&lightning=0&lerror=20&num_stns_min=2&num_stns_max=9999&avg_off=9999&smooth=0

That was amazing, and it looks like it could be halting a bit as it heads toward Route 110. We still have a couple of inches left hopefully.

I hope so too, and it does seem doable. 

I couldn't see the tree across the street. I wasn't here for 1/27/11, so this was the heaviest snow I've ever seen, and not even close. The 2nd closest was the 12/19/09 band, followed by 2/10/10. 

I couldn't see the tree across the street. I wasn't here for 1/27/11, so this was the heaviest snow I've ever seen, and not even close. The 2nd closest was the 12/19/09 band, followed by 2/10/10. 

1/27/11 was incredible, sorry you missed it. I would say this band matched it for sure. A foot fell here in 3 and a half hours. I've seen snow close to this in some of the snow squalls that passed over State College, but those would last for a couple of minutes and have zero water content. A lake effect band from Lake Huron passed over us for a time in 2007 and I would say was close. But what a rush though.

I've never seen four inches an hour rates before until just now. We kinda sweet spotted it here at the Monmouth county shore when the band went through. Storm total as of bed time 11 inches. That was worth waiting up for and I spent the entire hour in my car in the driveway just watching it with an open mouth.

I just mentioned to my friend that was the heaviest snow Ive seen .  A close second would be Dec 09 around 7-9Pm

2/10/10 was really good and so were the convective snows Jan 27th 2011 early am

Archived