• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
February Banter Thread

burgertime

with all the talk about next Sunday the 17th for nc and n ga why does accuweather show sunny and cool high 48? you would think they would at least show flurries.

I've always wondered that.  49 and partly cloudy here, even though the 18z GFS is showing a pretty decent looking 992 low in NC, just too bad the 850 temps look like crap02

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

amazes me that people here use the computer generated forecasts on Accuweather or Wunderground...Weather.com is better than those sites since it refreshes the GFS output somewhat more frequently. 

Wunderground was good but they changed everything with a new technique called best forecast. It is a computer generated output, they did use NOAA I believe back in the day...and it was far better.

amazes me that people here use the computer generated forecasts on Accuweather or Wunderground...Weather.com is better than those sites since it refreshes the GFS output somewhat more frequently. 

Wunderground was good but they changed everything with a new technique called best forecast. It is a computer generated output, they did use NOAA I believe back in the day...and it was far better.

Show me a better H5 vort map for the EC on 3hr intervals out to day 6 than wunderground and I'm sold...

last week you said anybody talking about cold was "wishcasting". While there was signs of the cold returning which got posted. The gefs starting catching on to the changing epo, which by the way the gefs maps I posted last week you said were "banter worthy". So was anybody wishcasting? Or was a few posters posting off of emotions?

If I remember correctly I called anyone talking about an individual storm 10-15 days out wish casting as it has about a2% chance of verifying. And yes hour 300+ maps IMO are banter worthy. Anything past truncation is pretty much lol worthy and not rooted in science. Long range forecasting sucks and the only model I like LR are the euro weeklies and even those should be taken with a boulder of salt.

I hear you.. There was definitely some cliff diving going on but again the idea that folks flat out we're saying a storm wasn't going to happen just isn't true. Even mr bob one of the more conservative warm mets didn't say we were going to be shutout. I guess I feel the comments are meant to insult, belittle or anger some people which is just kind of mean tbh. There is going to be a group who thinks we are going into the icebox a group in the middle and a group that sees warmth. It doesn't mean that said posters think winter is over. Jmo and ill leave it there. I feel a hostile tone when someone say "Debbie" or "negative nancy" or "didn't you hear winter was cancelled" or "bitter casting". You could probably say the same for someone who say "wish casting". That said the tone from the folks seeing cold and stormy seems rude and hostile towards the posters who see warmth or are just more conservative.

I guess I should rephrase. Show me a poster who has said we won't get another storm. That to me is winter cancel.

Still looking for some posts of people canceling winter for the southeast. I'm not joking... The line of bull, a suggestion that a group of posters have cancelled winter for the southeast is garbage. I haven't seen it. But if you want to keep running with that idea be my guest. I called you out on it so prove me wrong. If not i understand and I'll move on. Your tone is rather hostile to anyone that doesn't think we are headed into an extended cold and stormy pattern. Jmo.

Hilarious. Thanks for the chuckle on this Friday night. It's physically impossible for anyone to be that full of crap so I know you're joking hard.

What the models are showing for the upcoming period may not pan out, but kudos to the handful of people that picked up on the signs weeks ago. They pointed out, using science mind you, that things could take a turn in this direction. And, low and behold. Should be fun to watch unfold regardless of actual outcome.

Panic in the NYC sub-forum...

Finally getting some snow now. Still mostly sleet. My goodness what a disaster thus far.

:cry:

I'm speechless. Doubt we make it to 6". FML

Rain and some sleet. My half inch is melting.. I filled up my snowblower earlier.. what a strange storm

NYC stations may not reach warning criteria snowfall.

Nothing here in Westbury the last three hours except sleet. Thought once we got the changeover to snow we would be good. Neither the NAM nor the EURO will come close to verifying for Nassau, queens, and the city. Bad luck that heavy stuff in Suffolk is staying there and not moving west. Unless things change soon, then this is a fairly big bust for sure for those in western Long Island.

And...euphoria in the NE sub-forum...

heavy snow and pingers!!! nearing 8"

Ansonia CT

Just getting crushed. Crushed crushed crushed

Mofo thunder snow!!!!!! Weenieing out hard! 8"

We have a bit over 5" here, the band is just beginning to rotate through... Epicness will be ensuing... I'm not as pessimistic as the guy from Pepperell, although I think 24" could be tough to hit... I'm feeling pretty good about 16"-20" though.

6" at 8pm measurement but its impossible to measure. Ripping

Whiteout. Crushed

Just checked outside, snow/graupel (white balls fusing together, some larger than pea size!!) still coming down.. doesn't seem to be hampering the accumulation much which i find surprising.. Also, according to Guilford police.. they are telling all plow drivers to stop plowing.. Snow piling up too quickly, too dangerous.. 

This is incredible. Just wow. Virtually 100yd vis, if that.

Based off the current radar somewhere in central CT is going to have the highest totals. Omg that band is epic. Reports of some mixing near the coast but inland a bit it is heavy snow probably 3" per hour rates.

Edit: eastern mass is getting clobbered as well. Wow amazing stuff.. Super jealous of those enjoying this thing.

If I knew I was going to end up on here in my old age, I would have majored in special ed.

:lol:

Show me a better H5 vort map for the EC on 3hr intervals out to day 6 than wunderground and I'm sold...

This is true

Panic in the NYC sub-forum...

Priceless  :lol: 

If I remember correctly I called anyone talking about an individual storm 10-15 days out wish casting as it has about a2% chance of verifying. And yes hour 300+ maps IMO are banter worthy. Anything past truncation is pretty much lol worthy and not rooted in science. Long range forecasting sucks and the only model I like LR are the euro weeklies and even those should be taken with a boulder of salt.

Here's a friendly suggestion, how bout you let the discussions on the long range ride and anything you don't agree with just ignore.  I'm getting pretty got-dang tired of the minority of people on here trying to squelch discussion of future weather events when NOBODY is wishing anything to happen.  We have literally had red and blue tag people saying winter cancel on here.  Fine, whatever.  But to go as far as saying people shouldn't be posting LR analysis, grounded in science, in the pattern thread is farking ridiculous on a weather forum.  You, wildre, blue/wannabe red tag but not really/ncwinterwxman, and a few others have been on this train, it's got-dang silly and it needs to stop now.

You want us to quote you posts to back this up?  Some have done it, I've got better things to do on a Friday night.  Bottom line, Franklin, Calculus, Tnweathernut, Larry, and several others have done a great job analyzing the upcoming patterns.  I appreciate that, other active posters appreciate that, and I'm sure countless lurkers appreciate that.  If you are trying to suggest that this forum should suppress that talk then I say STFU and GTFO.  I don't care how long you've been around here.

I've never been against the pessimistic view point either, as long as it's backed up with science.  Coming on here and saying you're throwing in the towel in the pattern thread with zilch to back it up aside from the latest op run is friggin stupid, and guess what, everybody watching sees that. 

Credit to you for bringing this nonsense to banter though.

Here's a friendly suggestion, how bout you let the discussions on the long range ride and anything you don't agree with just ignore. I'm getting pretty got-dang tired of the minority of people on here trying to squelch discussion of future weather events when NOBODY is wishing anything to happen. We have literally had red and blue tag people saying winter cancel on here. Fine, whatever. But to go as far as saying people shouldn't be posting LR analysis, grounded in science, in the pattern thread is farking ridiculous on a weather forum. You, wildre, blue/wannabe red tag but not really/ncwinterwxman, and a few others have been on this train, it's got-dang silly and it needs to stop now.

You want us to quote you posts to back this up? Some have done it, I've got better things to do on a Friday night. Bottom line, Franklin, Calculus, Tnweathernut, Larry, and several others have done a great job analyzing the upcoming patterns. I appreciate that, other active posters appreciate that, and I'm sure countless lurkers appreciate that. If you are trying to suggest that this forum should suppress that talk then I say STFU and GTFO. I don't care how long you've been around here.

I've never been against the pessimistic view point either, as long as it's backed up with science. Coming on here and saying you're throwing in the towel in the pattern thread with zilch to back it up aside from the latest op run is friggin stupid, and guess what, everybody watching sees that.

You guys are a mess lol. Bring on spring so everyone can get out these crazy moods.

I've heard a lot of reasons for P-type issues in a storm but I have to admit, this is a new one for me.  We might want to keep it on file for our next storm.

..just checked NWS forecast discussion..they mentioned cloud to ground
lightning..which is causing "latent heat'..which is adding to p-type issues..
wow..unreal..

Here's a friendly suggestion, how bout you let the discussions on the long range ride and anything you don't agree with just ignore.  I'm getting pretty got-dang tired of the minority of people on here trying to squelch discussion of future weather events when NOBODY is wishing anything to happen.  We have literally had red and blue tag people saying winter cancel on here.  Fine, whatever.  But to go as far as saying people shouldn't be posting LR analysis, grounded in science, in the pattern thread is farking ridiculous on a weather forum.  You, wildre, blue/wannabe red tag but not really/ncwinterwxman, and a few others have been on this train, it's got-dang silly and it needs to stop now.

You want us to quote you posts to back this up?  Some have done it, I've got better things to do on a Friday night.  Bottom line, Franklin, Calculus, Tnweathernut, Larry, and several others have done a great job analyzing the upcoming patterns.  I appreciate that, other active posters appreciate that, and I'm sure countless lurkers appreciate that.  If you are trying to suggest that this forum should suppress that talk then I say STFU and GTFO.  I don't care how long you've been around here.

I've never been against the pessimistic view point either, as long as it's backed up with science.  Coming on here and saying you're throwing in the towel in the pattern thread with zilch to back it up aside fromt he latest op run is friggin stupid, and guess what, everybody watching sees that. 

Honestly it seems you want to squelch talk that isn't all snowy and cold. My opinion that 10 day + model runs are garbage is just as valid as your opinion that they have merit.

As for throwing in the towel I haven't done that yet this season so you're barking up the wrong tree if you're suggesting that. I really haven't been here that long. Three seasons maybe 4. I do have a history of quality posts and good discussion when there are threats that affect GA. I'll talk positive when I see something positive. I'm not all negative all of the time. It may seem that way because for two years we really haven't see jack diddly squat and the pattern has sucked nearly the entire time.

Here is some advice... Chill out and don't take a differing opinion so harshly. My views are just as valid as yours and to suggest I haven't brought any science to the table is insulting and bull.

Honestly it seems you want to squelch talk that isn't all snowy and cold. My opinion that 10 day + model runs are garbage is just as valid as your opinion that they have merit. As for throwing in the towel I haven't done that yet this season so you're barking up the wrong tree if you're suggesting that. I really haven't been here that long. Three seasons maybe 4. I do have a history of quality posts and good discussion when there are threats that affect GA. I'll talk positive when I see something positive. I'm not all negative all of the time. It may seem that way because for two years we really haven't see jack diddly squat and the pattern has sucked nearly the entire time. Here is some advice... Chill out and don't take a differing opinion so harshly. My views are just as valid as yours and to suggest I haven't brought any science to the table is insulting and bull.

If you review my posts on this forum you'll see that I have certainly not been a barker of snow and cold.  Post whatever the hell you want, just don't try to suggest that others can't do the same and you're fine with me. 

You want to see true "wishcasting"?  Go to sites like tnweatherspot.com and see the drivel that people like CyclonicJunkie/Toot/WxEastern post.  That is true honest to god wishcasting.  Like making snow maps for storms the 18z GFS is showing 2 weeks away.  Take a tour of other weather forums, come back here, and then you'll see this is a well grounded group.

Yeah, some folks up in the SNE forum are already reporting 15"+ in a few spots.  :lmao:

6" snowfall rates, though?  If that's not a whiteout, I don't know what is.

First impressions are that that band would just be some bright-banding, but then you realize it's snow and your jaw just drops to the floor.  :pimp:

One would think my radar image above is showing a melting layer, it's not.

Not as special as Brick.  I have just obtained a previously unreleased video of Brick taken less than a minute after reading one of WilkesboroDude's  300 hour snow maps that showed an inch of snow for Raleigh.  Sad, but safe for work or kids.

That's hilarous, lol.  You find the coolest stuff.                        I'm glad you are retired as most people find this kind of stuff while at work, but your school probably got their moneys worth out of you :)

I always figured Brick got in the bath tub when snow was coming.  T

Orco? Nemo? This naming of winter storms is crap. I prefer the Blizzard of 78 or whatever. Can't imagine telling my grandkids "Oh you should have seen how bad it was during Nemo". Pfft.

Or the Big Storm, the Really, Really Big Storm,  the Huge, Big Snow, if they have to call it anything at all.  It's just weather, it happens all year, and any storm could be a 100 year storm...never know until it's over :)  Around here all you have to do is mention 93, and everyone knows.   T

Archived