Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
February 2-3rd 2013 Clipper/Redeveloper

USCAPEWEATHERAF

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did he get a lot of socks for the holidays too?

Tauntons take:

FRI...ALL MODELS INDICATE A FAIRLY WELL DEFINED SHORT WAVE TROF

PASSAGE ON FRI. MOISTURE IS LIMITED BUT SHARPNESS OF THE TROF

SUGGESTS MENTION OF SCT FLURRIES.

SAT...LOOKS DRY WITH BELOW NORMAL TEMPS.

SUN...SHORT WAVE TROF WITH BAGGINESS IN SFC PRES FIELD DEPICTED BY

MEDIUM RANGE MODELS SUGGESTS A CHANCE OF LIGHT SNOW. ALTHOUGH THE

GFS SHOWS A TAD MORE QPF...THE ECMWF ACTUALLY SHOWS A SOMEWHAT

SHARPER SHORT WAVE TROF WITH A NEGATIVE TILT HINT. PUT POPS AT 50

PERCENT FOR MOST OF AREA FOR SUN.

MON-TUE...MON LOOKS DRY BEFORE ANOTHER SHORT WAVE UPPER TROF AND

SFC CLIPPER LOW PASSES THRU WITH ANOTHER CHANCE OF A PERIOD OF

LIGHT SNOW. GFS ENSEMBLES SEEM TO FAVOR A SLIGHTLY MORE SOUTHERLY

TRACK WITH THIS LOW CENTER COMPARED WITH THE ONE ON SUN BUT TOO

FAR OUT FOR MUCH CONFIDENCE.

There may have been some disappointments under his tree as well....

Have you or the mets ever seen such a difficult season to get our hands around a pattern?  Even though I have little scientific knowledge, as a hobbyist I could generally use some gut instinct or pattern recognition skills to at least have a feel for what was happening and what was likely to pan out - but this year no way!

No bother at all. It gets near the elbow, but not quite on shore.

jeez stil in the low to mid 30s here....lol, maybe some pack survives.

I have heard folks including HPC talk about N atl ridging se of greenland.  Could that help us out here with one of these clippers?  Seems like good set ups and tracks if they can just slow down a bit.  I guess I'm asking if there is any mechanism here that could allow some slowing and amplification?

18z GEFS don't look as qpf friendly as the 6z gefs for sunday.  but those bounce around like the ladies at the cabaret. hoping euro ens stay the course with .10 for the area....just cover the grass, make it appear like a real winter.  I hope this doesn't become a cne, then downeast deal.  as some members have a low in vicinity of lake ontario sorta transfering to a low just ENE of BOS.

If one of these next mega s/w's (2/1 2/3 and 2/6) don't produce it's just not our year.   Such strong systems aloft.  (2-1 is already DOA)

Obviously all of the exciting runs in the last few weeks have featured a steeper approach by the s/w...but I don't recall any featuring such a strong S/W.   NAM is strong too but doesn't manage to avoid the merry go around as it comes thru the Lake and it starts to bend east for the reasons Will mentioned.

Please...let this one work out, that would be a fun system.

Now Kevin, this is when you say advisory snows region wide! In all seriousness, this is probably the best run for the area yet, has .25 back to the NY/CT border, so 3+" for everyone and BOS is probably 6-8" Verbatim. It's about time one of these goes our way, hopefully this is the one! Who knows though, as we know this winter, anything can and will happen, so major caution flags still out.

-skisheep

There are two other s/w's that come down afterwards. One gets taken to the meat grinder, but another forms a weak wave south of SNE on Tuesday. There almost looks like we could have a weenie trough of low pressure south of SNE creating onshore flow....but the GFS kicks it north towards ME on Wednesday. Would be awesome with low thicknesses.

There are two other s/w's that come down afterwards. One gets taken to the meat grinder, but another forms a weak wave south of SNE on Tuesday. There almost looks like we could have a weenie trough of low pressure south of SNE creating onshore flow....but the GFS kicks it north towards ME on Wednesday. Would be awesome with low thicknesses.

Yeah its basically light snow for like 24-30 hours straight aided by that onshore flow. GFS would be a pretty wintry period for the first week of Feb.

Archived