Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
February 2-3rd 2013 Clipper/Redeveloper

USCAPEWEATHERAF

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, because we'd likely have no system on 2/3 or a very weak one if the 2/1 "bombs", that one would be long out of the way by 2/5 or 2/6 which could cause limited confluence and hence a more north track for that system.  I think the 2/3 system has more potential for SNE anyway than the 2/1 clipper does so everyone should probably be pulling for the 2/1 clipper to fall flat on its face, remember just last week a clipper that bombed off Delaware ruined the phasing of the next system and as a result we only had the light snowfall across E PA/NJ/NYC instead of the likelihood the northern/southern waves may have phased up if not for the predecessor flattening out the flow a bit.

but could feb 1 get out to Atlantic Canada and be a 50-50 for 2/3?

SREFs are awful this year...having a bunch of hires models running wild isn't helping.

Yeah...who's idea was that and why wasn't it tested? Yikes.  What a waste of what was once a favored tool.

I'm with Phil on this one.  Euro has done the tuck rule on these storms several times.  Has seemingly wanted to turn each system on the hook north only to dump it pretty quickly.  I'll take the GFS for now.

Yeah...who's idea was that and why wasn't it tested? Yikes.  What a waste of what was once a favored tool.

I'm with Phil on this one.  Euro has done the tuck rule on these storms several times.  Has seemingly wanted to turn each system on the hook north only to dump it pretty quickly.  I'll take the GFS for now.

How do you know it wasn't tested? I'm pretty sure they ran it parallel to the old SREF suite and it performed better otherwise they would never use it.

But its certainly not doing well this winter for whatever reason. We can't assume the old SREFs would have done better either.

SREFs are awful this year...having a bunch of hires models running wild isn't helping.

yeah that's the thing - they are basically now comprised of all the same type of model. i know they each have different schematics but i honestly think losing the rsm and eta members is hurting them. they aren't really an "ensemble" anymore in the sense of providing balance. now they are an ensemble of high-res stuff. might be good in the summer with convection or if we were having a winter with a lot of miller A type storms riding the western wall of the gulf stream....but not for this winter.  

How do you know it wasn't tested? I'm pretty sure they ran it parallel to the old SREF suite and it performed better otherwise they would never use it.

But its certainly not doing well this winter for whatever reason. We can't assume the old SREFs would have done better either.

they must have run it parallel. they always do for quite some time. i'll be curious to see if they do a bit better with the upcoming pattern of storms ejecting out of the plains and ohio valley. 

they must have run it parallel. they always do for quite some time. i'll be curious to see if they do a bit better with the upcoming pattern of storms ejecting out of the plains and ohio valley. 

I'd think that someone on this forum would have come across it....I'm sure at some point it was, but I wonder what type of testing was actually done.

Changes went into effect about 8/21/12

Maybe one of the red taggers could email the names at the bottom and ask?

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/os/notification/tin12-30sref_aaa.htm

Some better ridging out west on the 12z GFS would do wonders for this system.

Yeah it nearly gets the whole vortmax underneath us. That would produce some half decent snows if it can do that...as it is, probably another event that give many like an inch or so. Probably high ratio stuff again given the airmass in place and ML temps where the lift would be.

We'll see where we are in another 2 days.

Funny how the 2/6 system which at one time was forecasted to track up into the St. Lawrence valley has become a clipper that could suffer the meat grinder effect.

Yeah it nearly gets the whole vortmax underneath us. That would produce some half decent snows if it can do that...as it is, probably another event that give many like an inch or so. Probably high ratio stuff again given the airmass in place and ML temps where the lift would be.

Funny how the 2/6 system which at one time was forecasted to track up into the St. Lawrence valley has become a clipper that could suffer the meat grinder effect.

Same old same old.  Although if that entire system gets shoved out under us at least we have a shot.

I have my issues with that 2/6 "system"

Back to this threat, that ULL that moves into the PAC NW really puts a beat down on the good ridging we have.  Hopefully it's wrong.

Archived