e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
January 29-31 Wintry Weather

wisconsinwx

• Replies 908
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rockford would do real well if the NAM verified. 5" according to Bufkit for RFD. 2.1" for ORD, 2.4" for DPA and 1.1" for MDW. Should be wary of it because it showed something very similar for the 12/20 storm 1 day out and we all know how that turned out.

Thats why I am basically ignoring the models and waiting for nowcast time. I may end up with nothing, I may get six inches. ( :weenie: ). The models have been simply awful, especially with a rain to snow transition. 12/20 was quite bad, with my 6-9" Blizzard warning ending up as .6".

You gotta wonder if today's convection will have any impact on accelerating the front further to the east than modeled.  If that happens it could result in a further east placement on the snow band.  The high-res models may have a better handle on something like that, if it occurs. 

I was thinking that too, but don't really know if that's "realistic". Though, seems the models are kinda doing that now.

Thats why I am basically ignoring the models and waiting for nowcast time. I may end up with nothing, I may get six inches. ( :weenie: ). The models have been simply awful, especially with a rain to snow transition. 12/20 was quite bad, with my 6-9" Blizzard warning ending up as .6".

Although it could change obviously the NAM actually looks favorable for a period of heavy snow for your area from 15z-18z tomorrow. Good large scale ascent, frontogenesis, and lift and saturation through the snow growth zone. Also even some instability possible. GFS doesn't look quite as good, but one positive aspect to this vs.12/20 is the cold air looks to arrive quicker so you might not need really heavy snowfall rates to get a decent accumulation.

This storm looks like it could potentially set several daily records at Madison.  The max daily precip record for 1/29 has already been broken as of 10:00am: 1.20", old record 0.98" set in 1869.

Quite a few others could be within reach:

1/29 record high: 53 set in 1914

1/29 record high min: 33 set in 2006 and 1931

1/30 record precip: 0.52" set in 1947

1/30 record snowfall: 4.2" set in 1947

Max calendar day rainfall for month of January: 1.80" on 1/1/1892.  (found on MKX climate page - not sure what max 24-hr rainfall is for Jan).

Archived