Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
January 29-31 Wintry Weather

wisconsinwx

• Replies 908
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The SREF is fickle. Should have seen the RPM, it was congrats for Des Moines to about Ashland, WI! :lmao:

When any model is that far NW with less than 48 hours to go, and you are located in the exact opposite portion of the state, you know your chances are on life support.  Final call: a few thunderstorms, just miss the heavier rain/t'storms, dryslot, T-1" of snow at best.

NAM pummels Madison, what's interesting about a lot of these solutions is how far back behind the system the deformation zone is.  The positive is that almost everyone within the defo zone would be snow, but it makes me wonder if it's realistic to expect that much moisture in such a displaced defo zone.

NAM pummels Madison, what's interesting about a lot of these solutions is how far back behind the system the deformation zone is.  The positive is that almost everyone within the defo zone would be snow, but it makes me wonder if it's realistic to expect that much moisture in such a displaced defo zone.

Doesn't even look realistic

0z NAM looks wonky. But the snow band takes another move northwest on it, versus prior runs. Regardless, it snuggles closer to the GFS.

It doesn't look any different than 18z really in terms of low placement and snow band.  Obviously about 60-90 miles west/northwest of 12z, but not surprising since it was the farthest east of the 12z guidance.

Was looking on NCEP on my phone and once I saw snow aiming at Omaha I stopped.

:lol:

It doesn't look any different than 18z really in terms of low placement and snow band.  Obviously about 60-90 miles west/northwest of 12z, but not surprising since it was the farthest east of the 12z guidance.

Eh, it has a weird low(s) positioning. Doesn't matter, it's the NAM. But in the end, it made a move to the GFS. White flag time for MKE. 

:lol:

Eh, it has a weird low(s) positioning. Doesn't matter, it's the NAM. But in the end, it made a move to the GFS. White flag time for MKE. 

It was white flag time this morning.  I already made my T-1" call, and MKX is only expecting 1-2" in the metro, so the overreaction is what I don't understand.

0Z NAM is showing a pretty narrow heavy snow band.  Looks to be from around Dubuque to Wisconsin Dells to just west of Green Bay.  If it verified Madison would get less than DLL.

I'm fully expecting the models to keep moving around though.  Seems like model performance has been even worse than normal this winter.

NAM has done well with the systems getting beaten back by dry air lately, but this is a different beast so not sure which model to trust more (or less)...

Overreaction? Please, do tell.

But yes I know, you made your call. Looks solid to me.

I'm sorry, wasn't referring to you specifically, there were the same groans and uhhs by some who I thought had waved the towel already.  Perhaps they were hanging onto hope, the low itself actually looked like it stayed in place, but it may just be a function of the funky NAM, and probably is.

With the high dews in the warm sector I believe the deformation zone could be placed as the models depict. Wrap around moisture could definitely be a problem, let alone how much moisture could this system pick up from the open waters of the great lakes.

With the high dews in the warm sector I believe the deformation zone could be placed as the models depict. Wrap around moisture could definitely be a problem, let alone how much moisture could this system pick up from the open waters of the great lakes.

The thing of it is, the NAM almost always puts too much moisture on the backsides of systems. They are also likely to be just a bit too amped up as well. I remember the last runs of the NAM before the solstice storm, and it was a bit generous for that secondary deformation band.

The thing of it is, the NAM almost always puts too much moisture on the backsides of systems. They are also likely to be just a bit too amped up as well. I remember the last runs of the NAM before the solstice storm, and it was a bit generous for that secondary deformation band.

Generally speaking I hate the NAM for winter forecast, but I believe it has a good deal of support at least in the general idea, as all models now have a deformation zone, if I remember right the Nam and the Euro were the last to show the deformation band, so actually the idea of  the Nam would support the GFS as it showed the deform area before the NAM

Archived