12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
January 29-31 Wintry Weather

wisconsinwx

• Replies 908
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's close, though, you got to admit, especially for ORD; it wouldn't take much of a shift to get them to over.  NW shift is more likely than SE it seems for sure, but I guess you never know.

I cant believe it could shift much more NW.  Especially with the low swinging though tonight..

Lol...it has been the same freakin track for several winters. It goes southeast and Detroit gets the snow....or it goes northwest and Madison and northwestern WI gts the snow. leaving Chicago, Milwaukee, and Muskegon in the hole.

Dry lake effect snowpack is melting RAPIDLY. One week of lake effect snow = 1 day of melting.

The CHI/MKE hole hasn't existed for several years. You're being overly dramatic.

Some on here would go under if you set it at a trace.

This is true.

But I'm trying to use some logic here, and am sorta riding the NW models. Thus, best snows and a relatively narrow area of snows overall...west of MKE/ORD. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm not just throwing stuff around just to be a weenie.

The CHI/MKE hole hasn't existed for several years. You're being overly dramatic.

It sure hasn't which is why I'm hesitant to complain, although this would be the second strong low to pass to our southeast that narrowly screws Milwaukee if the GFS is correct, and it will be difficult to see Madison to Green Bay get another nice snowstorm when we're happy with our backend 1-3".

Hm, I'm not sure about that. I recall it happening a lot in '09-'10, last year, and this year. Locals around here have said it's been the past 5 years. The only actual Synoptic systems to dump snow here (meaning no lake effect..as you know) are the two storms in February 2011. Other than that, we've relied on lake effect and lake enhancement. Perhaps I didn't realize that about the climo. here?

I'll have to look for MKE's numbers but this is pretty good for being in a hole:

ORD:

07-08: 60.3"

08-09: 52.7"

09-10: 54.2"

10-11: 57.9"

First time in recorded history for Chicago to boot...four consecutive 50"+ seasons.

MKE, bunch of clunkers.

2006-07: 58.1"

2007-08: 99.1" (second snowiest on record)

2008-09: 76.0"

2009-10: 38.3"

2010-11: 61.9"

Hm, I'm not sure about that. I recall it happening a lot in '09-'10, last year, and this year. Locals around here have said it's been the past 5 years. The only actual Synoptic systems to dump snow here (meaning no lake effect..as you know) are the two storms in February 2011. Other than that, we've relied on lake effect and lake enhancement. Perhaps I didn't realize that about the climo. here?

MKE got a 20"+ event I believe in 08

Before last year, 09-10 was the only disappointing winter here snow wise from 06-07 to 10-11, so hard for me to complain.

Always gotta be a little nervous being on the southern edge in these setups.

You often have to gamble with the dryslot and southern edge to see the best action but in this case, I think we're a little too far southeast.  Considering the torch tomorrow, I'd be happy seeing the tail end pass through and a brief period of +SN.

Before last year, 09-10 was the only disappointing winter here snow wise from 06-07 to 10-11, so hard for me to complain.

Yeah, I understand. This is more me complaining because I moved here in order for great snow in the summer of 2009. So I came just in time to experience a bunch of crap winters. From my perspective it has been go southeast, or go northwest. My apologies Guys. I am just pissy because this has been a theme since I moved here.

Early call on the 18z NAM: it goes bonkers and cuts the low through Milwaukee, and dryslots Milwaukee and Chicago.  It would be so NAMesque.

yeah a trademark insane 18z NAM run would be fitting.  I also think we'll see the models pick up on a more defined dryslot...they always seem too generous with QPF in the dryslot in this range.

Yeah, I understand. This is more me complaining because I moved here in order for great snow in the summer of 2009. So I came just in time to experience a bunch of crap winters. From my perspective it has been go southeast, or go northwest. My apologies Gus. I am just pissy because this has been a theme since I moved here.

And I totally understand that.  It is harder in general for Muskegon to get monster synoptic storms due to the difficulty of getting lake enhancement, higher totals are normally due to lake effect, sometimes well after the synoptic portion of the event has ended.  That's where things more than even out for you, with lake effect, although you've clearly been screwed with that in recent years.  How was the February 9, 2010 winter storm for you?  That was nice for Milwaukee and Chicago, our best storm that winter by far.

Just by glancing at the Euro freebie site it looks like it keeps the system a little more positively tilted.  Doesn't wrap up much at all so the cold sector precip is largely dynamically driven.  Euro needs to slow down a bit and dig some before ejecting for a more wrapped up/wetter cold sector event. 

Archived