joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 29-31 Wintry Weather

wisconsinwx

• Replies 908
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Big winter storm on the NAM...hard to ignore the big QPF numbers with amount of moisture, theta-e, LLJ strength and trajectories off from the Gulf.

Need the wave the dig about another 100 miles south for something good here.

As is, it would still be your best event of the year by a long shot

As is, it would still be your best event of the year by a long shot

Yeah changeover here occurs just near 15z then rips for awhile with a few inches.

RFD to MKE ground zero this run.

I need 6" here though. Have had a 6" event every year since I've been really into following events/models (2005) gotta keep the streak alive.

Yeah changeover here occurs just near 15z then rips for awhile with a few inches.

I need 6" here though. Have had a 6" event every year since I've been really into following events/models (2005) gotta keep the streak alive.

attachicon.gifwrfGL_700_vvel_51.gif

Not that it matters but a quick extraction has 4.6" at ORD on that run...so you'd be getting close. 

wrfGL_700_vvel_51.gif

Not that it matters but a quick extraction has 4.6" at ORD on that run...so you'd be getting close. 

Should help boost lake Michigan water levels... And the Mississippi.

12z NAM is an assault on MKE. Not sure on the exact changeover, but looks like at least 0.95" liquid equiv of something wintry. 

Yeah the NAM pumps out about 3" of precip  over the next few days, around an inch of that precip is all snow.

KRAC - 8.8"

KMKE - 9.9"

KUES - 10.3"

Just extracted model gibberish, but this is good stuff for MKE. 12z NAM 3 hour snowfall totals, second to last on the right.

51 01/30 15Z   31     30     356      21    0.31  0.00    539    529   -2.1 -23.3  987 100 SN    007OVC177    3.2    0.3 54 01/30 18Z   27     27     316      18    0.40  0.00    529    523   -9.0 -25.7  991 100 SN    008OVC232    4.0    0.3 57 01/30 21Z   24     22     295      20    0.27  0.00    521    518  -11.3 -28.1  996 100 -SN   004OVC230    2.7    0.6

Early call: 1-2" of backside snow.  I'm only making this call as a general broadbrush for now, since guidance still has some major disagreement wrt location of any deformation zone.  I will say 1-3" for Chicago, especially if the SE edge of guidance (0z GEM, 0z Euro) win out.  Obviously if this is a strong low like the 12z NAM shows the totals will be a bit higher for many in the region.

Early call: 1-2" of backside snow.  I'm only making this call as a general broadbrush for now, since guidance still has some major disagreement wrt location of any deformation zone.  I will say 1-3" for Chicago, especially if the SE edge of guidance (0z GEM, 0z Euro) win out.  Obviously if this is a strong low like the 12z NAM shows the totals will be a bit higher for many in the region.

general broadbrush calls are lame, go big or go home. 

Final MKE call, 5.5" (higher just west)

:weenie:

At this point, I think I'd frame my best zones for highest accumulating snows with these imaginary lines...

Southeastern edge: QC to MKE to TVC

Northwestern edge: DSM to LSE to GRB

I agree, but think that SE edge could be knocked a bit SE if the GEM holds serve with a Chicago-Milwaukee-Lansing hit.  I still think the best of the accumulating snows will be just NW like they were with the Solstice storm, though.

At this point, I think I'd frame my best zones for highest accumulating snows with these imaginary lines...

Southeastern edge: QC to MKE to TVC

Northwestern edge: DSM to LSE to GRB

I'd go GBG-RPJ-MKE

can't put all my eggs in the GFS range.

GEM has been most consisent and getting into NAM's "better" range with Euro still southeast.

Guys appreciate the updates. I am flying into ORD Wed morning from NYC. Looking at the latest NAm/gfs seems any changeover would occur wed afternoon/evening. Im more of a NY/NJ weather guy so I dont know the model biases for your region too well. Curious your take on with the timing of a changeover and wind potential.

Guys appreciate the updates. I am flying into ORD Wed morning from NYC. Looking at the latest NAm/gfs seems any changeover would occur wed afternoon/evening. Im more of a NY/NJ weather guy so I dont know the model biases for your region too well. Curious your take on with the timing of a changeover and wind potential.

I think more times than not, we lean a little farther northwest versus what the models say. But that's not always an iron clad solution. Too much model spread at the moment to nail down the finer details unfortunately. And heavy rain to heavy snow events are a little taboo. Currently, NAM/GGEM is more bullish for ORD snow, GFS not so much. Euro...it's on its own right now. 

I'll have to look into the wind potential, but a changeover seems likely around noon or just after if it happens.  However, if the GFS verifies the precip would be pretty much over by the time the changeover occurs.

Archived