joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 29-31 Wintry Weather

wisconsinwx

• Replies 908
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you think the non-Euro models are on the right track with a decent deformation zone on the back side of the low? It seems a potent low like this should produce backside snow for someone, but the Euro seems steadfast in giving no snow to anyone in the region besides light snow to the Upper Midwest with the first weaker system tomorrow night.

There is moisture there, a decently strong low pressure wave, and good jet orientation/energy to provide a good quick hitting back side snow I'm sure. The really cold air dropping in is also going to wring out the moisture too. I certainly wouldn't look for much more than three to five inches though.

lol and what Gino had to say when talking GEM with him..."Clinging to that GEM like an alcoholic tries to suck liquor out of a stick of deodorant, eh?!"

Gotta say though the GEM has been consistent and the first to show it.

attachicon.gifP6_GZ_D5_PN_066_0000.gif

It seems for all intents and purposes we have two camps, then the Euro; the UKMET and GFS eject a stronger secondary through the Western Lakes (Chicago or Milwaukee cutter) with mostly rain for those two cities), while the NAM and GEM are weaker and further SE with the secondary, but are solid for some backside snow in Chicago.

It seems for all intents and purposes we have two camps, then the Euro; the UKMET and GFS eject a stronger secondary through the Western Lakes (Chicago or Milwaukee cutter) with mostly rain for those two cities), while the NAM and GEM are weaker and further SE with the secondary, but are solid for some backside snow in Chicago.

The GEM at one point had a pretty amped solution with a sub 980mb low in northern lower MI. Hopefully the Euro can latch onto something with the 00z run.

BTW GFS ensemble mean has 979mb low just north of Lake Huron at hr60.

If anything the 0z Euro is a weaker version of the NAM, it does have some cold sector QPF from central IL-Gary-central MI. It's not much but a small step in the right direction.

I think this may be one of those rare situations where the Euro is the last to the party.  It is still the weakest and furthest east with the secondary, but is starting to trend slower and NW.

Whoa.  Wish I shared your optimism.   Big bonus if it happens.  No big deal if it doesn't as I was prepared for nothing next week anyways.  Would kinna  suck though though if not much happens like the euro is showing. Probably ends up somewhere in the middle with  hopefully  a nice strip of advisory snows to the east/se of here.

The NAM continues to look great for your area.  I'm not sure it ever gets out of the dog house if the Euro wins again.

Bow and I are laughing tears at the 12z NAM right now.  Good ole NAM.  Less than 2% chance it verifies I think.

I remain bullish on the defo band snows for your area and just west...they will be quick hitting and localized but I think the NAM is on to something.  If I was on a QC-RFD-MKE line or just west, I'd be feeling pretty good.  Even if it is only 1-3" you don't go from 60s to accumulating snow very often.

NAM has 850 wids of 100 kt just SE of detroit and exceptional lift over NW IL into WI with +SN.

I remain bullish on the defo band snows for your area and just west...they will be quick hitting and localized but I think the NAM is on to something.  If I was on a QC-RFD-MKE line or just west, I'd be feeling pretty good.  Even if it is only 1-3" you don't go from 60s to accumulating snow very often.

I'll take 2" on the backside right now and call it a day; yesterday's 1" was fun to watch since it was ripping for an hour and a half or so.  Hopefully it clips Chicago in the process and gives you guys a couple as well.

GEM and GFS have been on it too. 

And the UKMET, though further NW like the GFS the last couple runs.  Right now the only major model that hasn't really shown a defo zone on the backside is the Euro, and it seems to be making small strides toward it.  We have that going for us, but not sure how it will end up.

Archived