joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 29-31 Wintry Weather

wisconsinwx

• Replies 908
  • Created
  • Last Reply

18z GFS continues the trend of a stronger southern wave moving into the plains causing pressures to fall and now getting a 999mb low coming out of northern OK opposed to an elongated 1004mb low on the 12z run. Also a bit more ridging out east as well.

b8ba99709476cba8ce08bda1aa10611a.gif

The ensembles will be a big sign.  Even the 12z ensembles were mostly weaker and less interesting from a wintry standpoint than the OP, so for the OP 18z GFS to come in even stronger was a bit of a surprise to me.

18z continuing the jump north that 12z started is the key for me...will be surprised if 0z doesn't hold or go further north

Whoa.  Wish I shared your optimism.   Big bonus if it happens.  No big deal if it doesn't as I was prepared for nothing next week anyways.  Would kinna  suck though though if not much happens like the euro is showing. Probably ends up somewhere in the middle with  hopefully  a nice strip of advisory snows to the east/se of here.

It seems the NAM is making slow strides toward a GFS like solution.  It definitely slowed down a bit from 12z, hanging the precipitation in Chicago and Milwaukee through about 12z Wednesday,and the low looks a bit west compared to 12z.  It's not quite in its good range anyway, so take it with a grain of salt.

It seems the NAM is making slow strides toward a GFS like solution.  It definitely slowed down a bit from 12z, hanging the precipitation in Chicago and Milwaukee through about 12z Wednesday,and the low looks a bit west compared to 12z.  It's not quite in its good range anyway, so take it with a grain of salt.

Yeah each of the past 4 runs of the NAM have had a further NW and slower trend.

NAM would be pretty painful for eastern Iowa and western IL. Still some model spread so none of us out west here should be too worried at this point. At least the NAM solution delivers for Chicago, which would be nice.

We'll be happy with our dusting here cyclone. In all honesty this system should be quite a potent dynamic little system to watch. I think we'll be in good position when its all said and done.

We'll be happy with our dusting here cyclone. In all honesty this system should be quite a potent dynamic little system to watch. I think we'll be in good position when its all said and done.

Do you think the non-Euro models are on the right track with a decent deformation zone on the back side of the low?  It seems a potent low like this should produce backside snow for someone, but the Euro seems steadfast in giving no snow to anyone in the region besides light snow to the Upper Midwest with the first weaker system tomorrow night.

Archived