Newest Member
    12bet1 net
January 29-31 Wintry Weather

wisconsinwx

• Replies 908
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Snippet from the DVN AFD.

TRANSITION TO POSSIBLE WINTER STORM TUE NIGHT INTO WEDNESDAY...  THE GFS...NAM...ECMWF...UKMET...GEM AND SREF NOW TO VARYING DEGREES   SUGGEST THE DEFORMATION ZONE TO DEVELOP OVER PORTIONS OF THE FORECAST   AREA WEDNESDAY. TUESDAY NIGHT...NW WINDS WILL DRIVE TEMPERATURES   INTO THE 20S NW TO LOWER 30S SE BY SUNRISE. WILL KEEP A SOMEWHAT LOW   CONFIDENCE TREND OF RAIN TRANSITIONING TO SNOW IN THE WRAP AROUND   CONVEYOR BELT WEST OF THE LOW MOVING OVER LAKE MI. HAVE LIGHT   SNOWFALL AMOUNTS IN THE FAR NW TOWARD MORNING. THE GREATER SNOW   THREAT WILL BE IN THE WEDNESDAY DEFORMATION AXIS...WHERE MODELS HAVE   A POTENTIAL FOR AT LEAST .3 TO .5 INCH QPF DEVELOPING IN A SW TO NE   AXIS OVER EASTERN IA...NW IL INTO WI. WITH SUCH A LARGE FORECAST   CHANGE...HAVE INITIALLY GONE OUT WITH A CONSERVATIVE SNOWFALL   FORECAST IN ROUGHLY A 2 TO 5 INCH RANGE OVER THE AREA. BASED ON   CURRENT TRENDS HOWEVER...THERE IS A POTENTIAL FOR MUCH HIGHER   AMOUNTS...WHICH COMBINED WITH THE 20 TO 30 MPH NW WINDS...COULD LEAD   TO A HEADLINE WINTER STORM EVENT WEDNESDAY THAT WOULD WIND DOWN LATE   IN THE AFTERNOON OR EARLY EVENING. SNOW AND INCREASING COLD AIR   ADVECTION WILL LEAD TO FALLING TEMPERATURES THROUGH THE DAY...WITH   READINGS BY LATE AFTERNOON FROM THE TEENS NORTH TO UPPER 20S   SOUTHEAST.    

:weenie:

18z RGEM looks similar to it's 12z version FWIW.

c75_100.gif

It would be nice, but I can almost guarantee that the NW side of guidance will win out.  It's funny that Groundhog Day is coming up at the end of the week/weekend, because the last two years since the blizzard have almost felt like Groundhog Day; severe events and winter storm threats narrowly missing or going by the wayside for a myriad of reasons, but frequently the same, low pressure too close, warm lake, dry air, etc.  The GHD blizzard probably cursed Chicago and Milwaukee.

It's the turtlehurricane effect...

I think that's the year he started at UWM...

:lmao:

Someone has to go and turn off his snow magnet!

The RGEM would be a good average between the 12z & 18z runs of the GFS and NAM.

It would be congrats Cyclone to Green Bay.

I can't believe I'm doing this, but due to the situation at hand, I hope this keeps trending stronger and NW.  As much as I don't want severe weather in winter before a big snowstorm, the chances of severe weather being better than the chances of a big snow have shifted my hopes.  I don't know why MKX is harping on severe weather so highly, when SPC doesn't even have us in a 5% chance, but if this system cuts enough, it may be possible, and they are comparing the situation to Jan. 7, 2008, where a tornado was reported in Kenosha County near Wheatland.  Hopefully no tornadoes, though.  Just a squall line that doesn't weaken due to a lake breeze.

Archived