• Created
  • Last Reply

Most Severe I saw.. in the LSR's:

NWUS51 KLWX 192333
LSRLWX

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON DC
733 PM EDT FRI APR 19 2013

..TIME... ...EVENT... ...CITY LOCATION... ...LAT.LON...
..DATE... ....MAG.... ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....
..REMARKS..

0712 PM TSTM WND GST 2 ENE ST. CHARLES 38.61N 76.89W
04/19/2013 M70 MPH CHARLES MD MESONET

MESONET OBSERVATION

&&
EVENT NUMBER LWX1300079
$
SMZ

Arnold/Severna Park area always seems to get a lot of bad weather. Not sure why.

My hunch is that the wind drives up the rivers (Severn and Magothy) with the decreased friction and creates a microscale backed wind field.  This increases the helicity in the lowest levels and you end up with brief spin-ups. I've often observed on my weather station at home that my winds are from the center of the river (120°) when the synoptic wind field is between 200° and 170°.

my guess is something may have touched down south of here. pretty solid couplet for one scan. quick hitter tho and quickly fell apart/ran outside the late box.

Let me see if I can find anything on the TDWR's for that.

In the mean time, here are my pictures for the day. Went about 30 miles W of college home out to the hilly farm country. Saw a shelf cloud and a rain-wrapped book end vortex mesocyclone (note the sharp convective left edge.)

post-741-0-82588600-1366423996_thumb.png

post-741-0-75120600-1366424001_thumb.png

My hunch is that the wind drives up the rivers (Severn and Magothy) with the decreased friction and creates a microscale backed wind field. This increases the helicity in the lowest levels and you end up with brief spin-ups. I've often observed on my weather station at home that my winds are from the center of the river (120°) when the synoptic wind field is between 200° and 170°.

Interesting, thanks!! It just seems over the years that this area often gets hit much harder than surrounding areas.

Let me see if I can find anything on the TDWR's for that.

In the mean time, here are my pictures for the day. Went about 30 miles W of college home out to the hilly farm country. Saw a shelf cloud and a rain-wrapped book end vortex mesocyclone (note the sharp convective left edge.)

attachicon.gifshelfcloud_eastberlinPA_2136.PNG

attachicon.gifmesocyclone_eastberlinPA_2136..PNG

cool shots

Wondering if there was a tornado in the Fredericksburg-Leland

area in Stafford county.  The reports coming in are suspicious

and the rotating bookend comma head was moving through at

the time.  I would imagine LWX will do a survey.  Could have

been a macroburst instead though, as the SVR called for

70+ mph winds.

Fredericksburg

Time: 2013-04-19 22:36 UTC
Event: 0 TORNADO
Source: nws storm survey
Remark: ef-1 tornado confirmed by nws storm survey. peak winds 90 mph. path length 0.75 mile. max path width 150 yards. apartment building unroofed. trees uprooted and topped. shopping plaza roof damaged.

Fredericksburg

Time: 2013-04-19 22:36 UTC

Event: 0 TORNADO

Source: nws storm survey

Remark: ef-1 tornado confirmed by nws storm survey. peak winds 90 mph. path length 0.75 mile. max path width 150 yards. apartment building unroofed. trees uprooted and topped. shopping plaza roof damaged.

Downloaded the Level 2 data for that time. The level 3 data from the TDWR's are delayed two days. There was no TDS in the correlation coefficient.

post-741-0-39007900-1366513900_thumb.png

Archived