joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Snow/sleet/frz rain Obs 1-15-13/1-16-13

Allsnow

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seems like this area had a period of snow overnight? Seems to be a trace on grassy surfaces but it's more visible on areas that have exposed dirt. Can anyone confirm this or I am just looking at sleet? Either way, we definitely had more frozen precip than I expected with this one.

it was probably sleet, most cars and grass had a sleet coating on them sometime during the overnight.

Almost 3 inches of crusty sleet and snow here.  Should have some staying power being so heavy and the colder pattern coming in.

Ramsey got 4.5?  I find that hard to believe.  

It's estimated. From talking to a fellow co-worker that lives in town he was saying that it was pretty much all snow here till about 6AM. I happen to be in the part of Ramsey with some elevation. For those that know the area, it's between Franklin TPK and Airmont Rd. Roughly 2 miles from the Rockland County line.

Ended up with 1.25" in Dobbs Ferry, although it may have compacted a bit before I measured. The sleet/freezing rain changed over to rain when I crossed the Westchester/Bronx border. Very depressing scene here in East New York at school with just rain and wet streets. Beautiful minor snow in the suburbs where I live, however. 

It's estimated. From talking to a fellow co-worker that lives in town he was saying that it was pretty much all snow here till about 6AM. I happen to be in the part of Ramsey with some elevation. For those that know the area, it's between Franklin TPK and Airmont Rd. Roughly 2 miles from the Rockland County line.

I think you might have meant Airmount Ave.. cause I used to live in Mahwah at the crossing of Airmount Rd and Franklin Tpk.. and that's Mahwah for sure. Anyways.. I'm at work right now in Mahwah on MacArthur Blvd.. and I came up using 202 from Franklin Lakes.. It's all snow up here. Very different from where I live (Lake Hiawatha)

Edit: Even within Mahwah weather is very different. It might be snow/rain mix at crossing on Franklin/Airmount.. and it would be all snow 2 miles away where I work on MacArthur Blvd because it's on a hill.

Understood, just was saying.  I think West Milford ended up with the same amount. 

Either way.  A nice little storm.  Ground covered once again.  

I think you might have meant Airmount Ave.. cause I used to live in Mahwah at the crossing of Airmount Rd and Franklin Tpk.. and that's Mahwah for sure. Anyways.. I'm at work right now in Mahwah on MacArthur Blvd.. and I came up using 202 from Franklin Lakes.. It's all snow up here. Very different from where I live (Lake Hiawatha)

Edit: Even within Mahwah weather is very different. It might be snow/rain mix at crossing on Franklin/Airmount.. and it would be all snow 2 miles away where I work on MacArthur Blvd because it's on a hill.

I'm right on Hiltop Rd if you know where that is. The Okonite Company. I come up 287 every morning to 17. Today 287 was stopped dead at the 208 split so I had to take the back roads. Ewing Ave to Wycoff Ave. The roads in Ramsey weren't good.

Understood, just was saying.  I think West Milford ended up with the same amount. 

Either way.  A nice little storm.  Ground covered once again.  

No worries. Don't forget they probably got a tad less precip in West Milford than in Ramsey with it being further west. It depends where you measure in West Milford as well. I've seen plenty of cases where it was just plain rain on Macopin Rd and up in Hewitt it was pouring snow. My buddy here that lives up there said he estimated about 5-6".

Archived