Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Your Top 10 Things you hate the most about weather

dmc76

1. 60 deg days in January

2. Frost after the friut plants have blossomed.

3. Winds picking up after 12 noon and calming near dusk. Ruins a nice day of boating.

4. Tornado warnings issued after the fact

5. Typicial winter temperatures with brown grass.

6. dry slotted

7. Snow busts

8. 75deg mornings at sunrise!! w/ humidity

9. Floods or droughts in the summer.

10. No snow in the winter.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

5. Junk convection/cloud cover that lingers and screws the instability instead of lowering LCL heights and then leaving.

6. Dewpoints mixing out during a severe setup.

7. Thermonuclear capping/warm mid level temps.

8. Warm fronts not moving/retreating/lifting fast enough.

9. Undercutting of sfc based convection.
10. Poor mid level lapse rates.

1. Collapsing supercells and mcs at the Illinois/Indiana border

2. Night time severe events

3. Cloudy, snowless winter days

4. Moderate/High Risk busts

5. Dryslots

6. Lack of wind during summer

7. High humidity and sun

8. Freezing rain

Many are just commonplace for Indiana weather. During our drought in 2011 every single storm would fall apart or completely dissipate after Vigo county. Sometimes it really does seem like we live in a bubble here.

In no particular order...

1. Dry slots
2. Dying MCS
3. Overcast days in spring/summer
4. Snowpack loss
5. "Mixing Issues"
6. Drought, any season
7. Plain rain events in summer
8. 33 and rain while Oakland County gets 6" of snow
9. Late spring/early fall frost/freezes
10. 89 degree days, with all the misery of a 90 degree day without anything to show for it

1. Collapsing supercells and mcs at the Illinois/Indiana border

2. Night time severe events

3. Cloudy, snowless winter days

4. Moderate/High Risk busts

5. Dryslots

6. Lack of wind during summer

7. High humidity and sun

8. Freezing rain

Many are just commonplace for Indiana weather. During our drought in 2011 every single storm would fall apart or completely dissipate after Vigo county. Sometimes it really does seem like we live in a bubble here.

Personally I like 2, especially if its a MCS that is training over the area and you have huge amounts of instability. Some of the best lightning shows I have ever seen have been during nocturnal MCSs.

Personally I like 2, especially if its a MCS that is training over the area and you have huge amounts of instability. Some of the best lightning shows I have ever seen have been during nocturnal MCSs.

This. I love warm, humid nights with storms firing. I've gone out into the country and just sat and watched as storms passed.

This. I love warm, humid nights with storms firing. I've gone out into the country and just sat and watched as storms passed.

Yeah I happened to luck out that I went to Central Michigan University, there really isn't anything around Mt. Pleasant, so I would do the same especially if it was a good MCS moving in.

Agreed! I love sitting on my deck, which faces west, and watching the lightning show at night. Living close to the lake, the lightning shows appear even more vibrant.

I don't like severe at night. Call it a control issue or something, but, Night time severe IMBY always makes me anxious. Love a good lightning show at night though. 

The only time I've taken shelter inside a house was 2/28/11. Was sitting at home with the family during a run of the mill storm late at night, and heard the fire department about 10 mi SW dispatched on a house destroyed by a tornado. No warnings, or watches in the CWA, not even any statements. Couple minutes later the winds picked up hard blowing stuff across the yard. We booked it for the closet. I can honestly say that was the most nervous I've ever been in a storm.

I think all storms and extreeme events are amazing to watch as the story unfolds in front of you. It is when human life and the potential for loss of life exists we want to see the worst mother nature can bring but but without the sorrow of life lost and forever changing events.

Agreed! I love sitting on my deck, which faces west, and watching the lightning show at night. Living close to the lake, the lightning shows appear even more vibrant.

I agree, a nighttime MCS is always a great show. I remember a really good one in 2007 or so, I believe, where it just trained over the area for a good couple of hours and produced an insane amount of lightning. Some of the most intense I've ever seen.

I think some areas out in the Battle Creek area, maybe a little closer to the border, got like 8" of rain out of the storm.

I don't like severe at night. Call it a control issue or something, but, Night time severe IMBY always makes me anxious. Love a good lightning show at night though. 

What, do you have the power to control storms, but only with the power of sunlight? :P

I agree, a nighttime MCS is always a great show. I remember a really good one in 2007 or so, I believe, where it just trained over the area for a good couple of hours and produced an insane amount of lightning. Some of the most intense I've ever seen.

I think some areas out in the Battle Creek area, maybe a little closer to the border, got like 8" of rain out of the storm.

Wow, that would be a bit scary at night time. I guess I have found something I really like about summer weather. Nature"s fireworks.

Wow, that would be a bit scary at night time. I guess I have found something I really like about summer weather. Nature"s fireworks.

6/22/2010 was a really good nighttime MCS for Ottawa and Kent counties.  Intense lightning and sirens going off woke me up around 1:00 AM.  Got a tornado warning for several velocity couplets that formed along the leading edge. 

I lived near Indianapolis from 1994 to 2000.  Here are some things I disliked about the weather.

1. Lack of winter events that are just plain snow.  In the 6 years I lived in the area, I think I saw only one or two events that were purely snow.  By far the vast majority of the time sleet, freezing rain, and rain occur for a large portion of the event and change any snow on the ground to ice.

2. General lack of snowfall.  As cold as it can get in Indiana, you would think there would be more snow to show for it.  But only a couple of weeks a year have an inch or more of snow cover.

3. What people consider a snowstorm.  I remember once with a frontal passage in February the prediction was for "snow showers with little or no accumulation".  I was in a building without windows, and suddenly everyone started talking about how the weather service really blew their predictions and saying things like "And they were saying no accumulation....".  I went outside and there was like 1/16 of an inch of snow on the ground and the snow had stopped.

4. "Light coating" of snow events.

5. How the roads are always full of salt despite the lack of snow.  Seems like the normal pattern of a winter storm system is rain followed by just enough snow (like 1/8 inch) for the roads to get salted and then a week or two with no precipitation followed by a repeat.

6, 80 degrees in October.  It seemed like as soon as the calendar changed to October the weather took that as a signal to have about a week with highs around 80.

7. Constant windy weather in March.

8. Droughts, which seemed to be pretty common, particularly in late summer.

9. Fringe events, so forecasts like this were common: "Tonight, cloudy.  Rain developing well after midnight.  Tomorrow, a 30% chance of rain early, then clearing".

I lived near Indianapolis from 1994 to 2000.  Here are some things I disliked about the weather.

1. Lack of winter events that are just plain snow.  In the 6 years I lived in the area, I think I saw only one or two events that were purely snow.  By far the vast majority of the time sleet, freezing rain, and rain occur for a large portion of the event and change any snow on the ground to ice.

2. General lack of snowfall.  As cold as it can get in Indiana, you would think there would be more snow to show for it.  But only a couple of weeks a year have an inch or more of snow cover.

3. What people consider a snowstorm.  I remember once with a frontal passage in February the prediction was for "snow showers with little or no accumulation".  I was in a building without windows, and suddenly everyone started talking about how the weather service really blew their predictions and saying things like "And they were saying no accumulation....".  I went outside and there was like 1/16 of an inch of snow on the ground and the snow had stopped.

5. How the roads are always full of salt despite the lack of snow.  Seems like the normal pattern of a winter storm system is rain followed by just enough snow (like 1/8 inch) for the roads to get salted and then a week or two with no precipitation followed by a repeat.

6, 80 degrees in October.  It seemed like as soon as the calendar changed to October the weather took that as a signal to have about a week with highs around 80.

9. Fringe events, so forecasts like this were common: "Tonight, cloudy.  Rain developing well after midnight.  Tomorrow, a 30% chance of rain early, then clearing".

Well, you live in a MUCH better area for snow now. :)

Just one lonely example, but January 1996 alone had 5 all snow events in the Indianapolis area. 25.2" of snow that month at IND. Yeah.

1. Stratocumulus.

2. Altostratus.

3. Cirrostratus.

4. Convective Debris.

5. Cap Busts

6. 89*F days.

7. Arctic/Siberian Cold Outbreaks.

8. Cold Rains.

9. Morning/Non-Severe/Dying MCS.

10. Detroit's Side Streets in the Winter.

Honorable Mention: Dry Slots. They don't bother me as much as long as the weather event I expected still took place.

Oh yeah, my list.

1) 100º+ temperatures

2) 90º+ temperatures

3) hot summers, or a combo of #1 and #2

4) high humidity (add to #3)

5) sleet

6) 33º and rain

7) droughts

8) 45º days in January

9) 80º days in October

10) just missing MCSs by the slimmest of margins  

Number 5 is irritating to hear about.... I know what you mean. That seems to happen more during weak winters, the road crew like all government likes to use up its budget.

Number 5 is irritating to hear about.... I know what you mean. That seems to happen more during weak winters, the road crew like all government likes to use up its budget.

Liability issues.

If idiots learned how to drive in a little bit of snow/ice and weren't so sue happy then they wouldn't have to salt during weak winters.

Maybe it was being caught off guard...but I would have killed for #5 yesterday. Roads were a disaster as road crews here did not salt until an inch of powder was already on the very cold pavement. Very hazardous on streets with high traffic volume.

But then as said, other times you will get like 0.1" of snow and you cant tell if its the dusting of snow or the salt on the road.

Nothing like driving your new car through a chemical bath of corrosive sodium crystals.

I'll take salt after seeing what happens with a .5"-1.0" event earlier this winter, I passed 7 accidents from Metro to Eastpointe leaving work at 8am on a Saturday of all days.

Archived