Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
TorchDown Deja Vu

Mr Torchey

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Torch has been decently muted so far, but yesterday we had a +6 departure and its only going to increase.  Today will probably be pretty high as the diurnal temp range has been low, as opposed to the 40 degree diurnal change the previous couple days.

Check out the last two days though... highs that should give a decent positive departure have been off-set by lows that are 40F colder than the highs.

I love days like 37/-3 and 42/2.

Also worth noting... Morrisville-Stowe Airport and Montpelier both put up departures in the negative 20s a week ago.  To what LL always mentions about departures, it is extremely rare these days to get departures that far below normal.

-17 and -22 for departures on the 2nd and 3rd is pretty impressive in this climate state... but does show that it can happen!

We are currently -3.9F on the month, so we'll see what happens after this "torch."

Torch has been decently muted so far, but yesterday we had a +6 departure and its only going to increase.  Today will probably be pretty high as the diurnal temp range has been low, as opposed to the 40 degree diurnal change the previous couple days.

Check out the last two days though... highs that should give a decent positive departure have been off-set by lows that are 40F colder than the highs.

I love days like 37/-3 and 42/2.

Also worth noting... Morrisville-Stowe Airport and Montpelier both put up departures in the negative 20s a week ago.  To what LL always mentions about departures, it is extremely rare these days to get departures that far below normal.

-17 and -22 for departures on the 2nd and 3rd is pretty impressive in this climate state... but does show that it can happen!

attachicon.gifMVL.jpg

We are currently -3.9F on the month, so we'll see what happens after this "torch."

You live in a different world man, and congrats, its just like last year all over again.

Well, we achieved +15 with lows around 30 and highs in the low to mid 40s, time will tell, climo is pretty cold right now.

well we didn't achieve +15's BC the days lows have not been made, and that's pretty obvious.

winds are still active so ideal radiating conditions have not been close to met yet, wether they do by 10 or 11pm is up for debate.

well we didn't achieve +15's BC the days lows have not been made.

ok.........I really dont care anymore to be honest, this weather ****ing blows ass.  Its going to be warm tomorrow, and a ****ing torch this weekend, next week is up in the air and the thought of dry and arctic cold is downright depressing.  If this is how its going to be fast forward to March 1st.  

Pickles you can be the torch bearer.  I am out.

lol i'm not gonna be the torch bearer ha ha. but i don't mind talking about the unmistakeable mild weather we have. But i'm just tryin to figure out what today's dailies will likely go down as....if we have say lows of 32-33 pvd-bos  and 30-29 orh-bdl.  I'd guess today will go down as like a +12 or so at the big 4 when the low's come in . maybe as low as +11 if radiating conditons improve in a cple hours. winds at bdl are down to 6mph

lol i'm not gonna be the torch bearer ha ha. but i don't mind talking about the unmistakeable mild weather we have. But i'm just tryin to figure out what today's dailies will likely go down as....if we have say lows of 32-33 pvd-bos  and 30-29 orh-bdl.

+13?? +11 somewhere in there I really don't know.  The only thing I am interested in is can we pull a +25-+30 on Sunday, but everything needs to break just right, clouds at night and sun during the day.

One thing that is nice, the days are getting noticeably longer.

Noticed that today too-twilight after 5pm now...

Things are heating up, and this torch is asserting itself, this weekend will be insanity.

today.

bos+15

bdl+15

pvd+14

orh+14

definitely some +20's this weekend, +25 for someone?  I'd say so.

Well, we achieved +15 with lows around 30 and highs in the low to mid 40s, time will tell, climo is pretty cold right now.

what a tremendous waste of some of our coldest climo and lowest sun angles....average temps and bone dry for 12-14 days now...ugh

No use arguing, as always we can add up the numbers Tuesday, but this torch has and will continue to erase the negative departures, they are all positive now for the month and should be obscene by Tuesday morning.  Looking at next week really do not see any below normal days until maybe late week?

Climo is chilly right now.

37 degrees this morning, looks like I will be above freezing until next tuesday am or so....So here is a look back on the almost (couple days short) first half of winter, I will use ORH simply because its the coldest out of the 4 sne major climo sites.  The numbers are fairly staggering, and after this weekend even more so, looks like guidance is finally keying on some real arctic air to at least settle into nne if not all of new england for a few days, and thankfully looks like snow maybe in our future.......just in time.

Dec 1 2012 to current ORH

-9 +6 +13 +12 +10 -2 +2 +10 -2 +2 +10 +8 +17 +10 0 +5 +6 +5 -1 +2 +11 +11 +7 +15 +3 +4 +4 +3 0 +4 +1 0 -3 -2 -1 -8 -13 +3 +7 +7 +4 +8 +10

Thats 10 double digit positive departure days to only one negative double digit departure day so far this winter.  

7 below normal days 4 of which were -3 or less, compared to 30 above normal days to date.

We will certainly add at least two more double digit departures to the list if not 3 outside chance at 4 before we cool down early next week, staggering numbers.  

These numbers for orh still blow me away add another +12 or 13 today and then sat sun and mon, I can't believe what a torch this winter has been, easily forgettable because there has been a touch more snow than last winter.

You live in a different world man, and congrats, its just like last year all over again.

Nahhh... not like last year, haha.

I think we'll put up some big departures (certainly a couple days of double digits, maybe a +20< spot?) this weekend with warm overnight mins and mild afternoons. 

Our one saving grace in times of mild patterns is that if conditions are good for radiational cooling, we'll drop like a rock here in the semi-elevation valley between two 3-4,000ft ridgelines.  That's why the past two days where the highs were like +15 we canceled them out by going low at night.  With 40F temp swings on back-to-back days, it definitely mutes the departures.

However, if conditions aren't good for radiational cooling, we're going to torch on the departures this weekend.

I'm just more impressed with the -22 and -17 departures a week ago... that seems incredibly rare these days.  And of course we'll quickly cancel it out a week later with some big departures in the opposite directions.

These numbers for orh still blow me away add another +12 or 13 today and then sat sun and mon, I can't believe what a torch this winter has been, easily forgettable because there has been a touch more snow than last winter.

I really try not to think about how warm we tend to average these days, haha.  Oh well, its still cold enough in the heart of winter...at this point I think most are numb to the positive departures.  It really doesn't strike a cord in me as much as it used to.  Yeah, its warm, that's the new norm.

For alot of areas (Long Island, NJ DC, BWI Philly), this is a repeat of last year...12/29 saved us locally otherwise I'd say the same thing about SW CT

It is exactly like last year for those places, same pattern with hurricane/early season snowstorm as well, which is very odd. The only difference has been November.

Archived