northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
12/29 - New Years Storm Threat Discussion

Dsnowx53

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Which I will be correct about, in retrospect...

I'm sorry dude but you are not an all-knowing person who can see into the future and if you are wrong and all it would take is an average winter overall for that to happen, you can be sure you will be reminded about it regularly.

Mods, maybe this all needs to be moved to banter by the way which is where it belongs.

I'm sorry dude but you are not an all-knowing person who can see into the future and if you are wrong and all it would take is an average winter overall for that to happen, you can be sure you will be reminded about it regularly.

Mods, maybe this all needs to be moved to banter by the way which is where it belongs.

avg winter will be "nothing to write home about".

You are right this does belong in the banter thread...so I will stop posting about it.

avg winter will be "nothing to write home about".

You are right this does belong in the banter thread...so I will stop posting about it.

Disagree. Average winters are rare of late. 2008-09 is what I'd call average. Sorry but 25-30 inches of snow and decent cold is not "nothing to write home about." Now I will stop posting about it as well as this clearly should be in the banter thread.

So a huge shift west this run. One more shift of this magnitude and we're looking at a significant snowstorm.

The northern stream was more involved this run, making the trough much sharper. It still has a progressive look overall, but considering how much it jumped from 00z and the fact that the GFS isn't THAT suppresses makes me think that we still have time.

So a huge shift west this run. One more shift of this magnitude and we're looking at a significant snowstorm.

The northern stream was more involved this run, making the trough much sharper. It still has a progressive look overall, but considering how much it jumped from 00z and the fact that the GFS isn't THAT suppresses makes me think that we still have time.

Models seem to indicate a piece of energy breaks off from that northern PAC low and beats down the ridge out west. If that feature is true (which the gfs and euro both show) I think this is going to miss. By not allowing the hgts out west to pump because the ridge gets beat down by the energy from the northern PAC I find it hard to believe there will be as much interaction from the northern stream to save this system from going OTS. Pattern remains too progressive to allow amplification. That ridge needs to pump because it could force the northern stream component to phase with the STJ and allow for a coastal system. As of now though I don't think that is likely based on what the guidance is showing out west.

nothing significant....low hangs in SW with confluence in canada but it looks to get squashed/shunted as it heads E.

The euro and the gfs vary significantly with the sw energy. The euro fails to eject it earlier like the gfs. If it ejects earlier it has a chance to conect with the northern stream component and present a threat for our area. If it hangs back it will remain cold and dry. There is a nice spike in the ridge out west, it would be very beneficial if the sw does eject, then I believe we have a legit threat.

The euro and the gfs vary significantly with the sw energy. The euro fails to eject it earlier like the gfs. If it ejects earlier it has a chance to conect with the northern stream component and present a threat for our area. If it hangs back it will remain cold and dry. There is a nice spike in the ridge out west, it would be very beneficial if the sw does eject, then I believe we have a legit threat.

Euro has problems out there in the SW holding energy back, exactly why I'm still watching this closely.

The culprit looks to be the models just holding enough energy back over the SW at 48 hrs for

the trough to stay positive tilt a little too long. This is about as close to missing a major event

that we get around here. Most folks near the coast would be happy just to get a light to

moderate event so we wouldn't finish with a shutout for December.

Archived