• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
12/29 - New Years Storm Threat Discussion

Dsnowx53

Just to keep thing organized and prevent threads from having overlapping storm discussion, I figured it would be a good idea to start a thread for all posts and discussion related to the 12/29 - New Years threat.

The airmass certainly looks better this time around and we are in an active pattern, so hopefully this produces.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

00z Euro was a Lakes Cutter special (H5 closes off quickly and trof goes neutral again too early to help the EC) 06z GFS has the energy, but it's weak and doesn't develop much on the EC. There will be a significant chance in either the Euro or the GFS in the next 24 Hr as this system is quickly entering the 144-156 hr range.

00z Euro was a Lakes Cutter special (H5 closes off quickly and trof goes neutral again too early to help the EC) 06z GFS has the energy, but it's weak and doesn't develop much on the EC. There will be a significant chance in either the Euro or the GFS in the next 24 Hr as this system is quickly entering the 144-156 hr range.

The Euro tends to be cutter fond the last 5 or so years since the upgrade if a cutter is even remotely possible in the 6-10 day range. I would honestly be more concerned of a miss to the East in this setup than I would be of a cutter.

The set up on some of the models is a bit muddled in the mid range with the confluent flow over the Northeast hanging on a little longer. That being said, the general broad set up remains very favorable -- especially given the trends for lesser confluence and faster movement of troughs out of the Northeast as we approach storms over the last several weeks. Regardless, we're left with some decent potential...a weak ridge spike out west and a nicely placed trough over the Central US on 12/29.

To me, the main feature to watch is the northern stream energy on the GFS at 150 hours. That shortwave is just soaring south/southeast through the Plains. We'll have to see if it can start interacting with the initial energy over the MS Valley on the next few runs.

It looks exactly like the 26th, i don't think it will be enough confluence to save us

It's still far enough out in time for me to not be too worried about this solution yet. The models have been jumping around more than ever with this active pattern...so many shortwaves/pieces of energy in the flow and now they're having to deal with some blocking too.

I would think the confluence would be stronger than the Euro is indicating...but I guess we'll see.

It's still far enough out in time for me to not be too worried about this solution yet. The models have been jumping around more than ever with this active pattern...so many shortwaves/pieces of energy in the flow and now they're having to deal with some blocking too.

I would think the confluence would be stronger than the Euro is indicating...but I guess we'll see.

John you starting to worry about this winter..the alarm bells just went off a few minutes ago..first time this year

John you starting to worry about this winter..the alarm bells just went off a few minutes ago..first time this year

I'm not worried yet. I still think we're going to have a good period through the first few weeks of January. But there definitely is going to be a relaxation of the pattern after that...and if we haven't gotten any snow by that point (highly unlikely, but possible with some bad luck) ...then I'll be worried. Because then we'll be waiting on the stratosphere to warm and change things up again in Feb.

You are not taking any storm to the east coast with trof after trof banging into the west coast every 3 days. The natural reaction is for the jet to buckle in response to the ridge. The neg pna neg nao not wrking. It will get cold in between systems. But with ths.set up gona b hard not to drive the first center up west. We nd the pac to slow down. Theres plenty of cold air waiting to b pulled but i see thngs from a pac point of view. Gotta slow that flow down it is lose storm after storm as we get closer.

I'm not worried yet. I still think we're going to have a good period through the first few weeks of January. But there definitely is going to be a relaxation of the pattern after that...and if we haven't gotten any snow by that point (highly unlikely, but possible with some bad luck) ...then I'll be worried. Because then we'll be waiting on the stratosphere to warm and change things up again in Feb.

reason is..it's finding ways not to snow..I mean really we should be getting something on Christmas eve,but either this is not right or that's not right..seems like this year things need to be perfect to even get cold weather in here..just an observation following NYC weather for over 45 years

EURO trending warmer in LR because its losing the NAO block and the northern energy is diving into the West....I can't take much more of this

The Euro has an arctic airmass sitting over New England at 200 hours...not sure what you're looking at. -20 850 temperatures...the PV is basically sitting north of Maine.

reason is..it's finding ways not to snow..I mean really we should be getting something on Christmas eve,but either this is not right or that's not right..seems like this year things need to be perfect to even get cold weather in here..just an observation following NYC weather for over 45 years

I agree...I've been thinking the same thing. But its important to remember that the pattern isn't ready yet. We're still making our way out of a really bad pattern. Coming off of last year makes it seem a whole lot worse. We'll get there eventually.

The Euro has an arctic airmass sitting over New England at 200 hours...not sure what you're looking at. -20 850 temperatures...the PV is basically sitting north of Maine.

Its had this before at Day 7 three days ago now its pushed back. The Euro has actially flown under the radar quite significantly with a cold bias the last few years.

Its had this before at Day 7 three days ago now its pushed back. The Euro has actially flown under the radar quite significantly with a cold bias the last few years.

It"s always been after the second big storm that it gets cold with a PNA spike. Not sure what you're talking about. Sounds like the Euro has held onto the cold New Year's idea that it had last run...GFS agrees.

It"s always been after the second big storm that it gets cold with a PNA spike. Not sure what you're talking about. Sounds like the Euro has held onto the cold New Year's idea that it had last run...GFS agrees.

I think what he means is that it has tendency to blast in arctic air in the 7-10 day range (i.e. -18C or < 850s) that never actually come to fruition.

I dont know why so many focus on the nao or that theres a pv in new england. You cut storms in this case because the pacific flow is too fast.it will mean the storm.cuts and the primary stays strong enough long enough that when it secondaries too late. Yes theres a block but too little for us with all due respect the atlantic is a child compared to the pacific. Theres plenty of cold air in canada and will swing in and out in a progressive way unless u spike the pna. Which u r not. Every 3 days systems r being driven into cali. The wave lenghts r short and any system takes aim at the lakes. U hav to trust me on ths unless u slow the pacific and elongate the wave lengths by spiking the pna gona b hard to drive a center to the se coast and then up. Merry xmas

Archived