Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
12/29 - New Years Storm Threat Discussion

Dsnowx53

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who says this pattern isn't better? We'll all see flakes in the air today, a couple days after Christmas, and then a few days after that. The pattern is surely much more active with the -SOI induced sub tropical jet activating and cold air finally in the picture as the NPAC reshuffles. This coming week may be fairly wintry for many folks when we look back on Dec 31.

Remember. Higher Ratios. It wouldn't matter at that position when it comes to a storm of that magnitude.

With a low bombing into the 970s to our east, we'd definitely be talking about blizzard conditions on the coast and a solid Nor'easter inland, anyway. Very nice thermal gradient with the rising PNA, and looks extremely chilly once this storm passes us. Would be nice to get a snow-->ice deal on 12/27, a big snowstorm on 12/30, and then some arctic cold. That would be quite a contrast with the mild/rainy conditions we've had all month.

And it's quite possible...one of the many reasons to love weather in the Northeast.

JMA was the first to show this storm yesterday on it's 12z run. Today's 12z run of the JMA just came out and it has held serve with a massive hit in our area. However, with the 24 hr intervals, it is hard to get into details with the 850 line placement. At 120 hrs. it has the low as a sub 1005mb over Kentucky and Tennessee, and at 144 hrs it has it in the same location it had it yesterday, exactly, over Cape Cod, as a sub 975mb low. At 120 hrs. it has the 850 line right over NYC and across North Jersey, and at 144 hrs it has the 850 line about 300 miles off shore, and it has 1.00-1.50 inches of precip throughout our area, with the precip max bulls eye of 1.75-2.00 near Albany.

post-1914-0-74392800-1356377886_thumb.gi

Classic three storm progression to colder. This is an really active pattern leaving open

the door to a significant snow threat here around the same time as 12/30/2000. It's very

impressive to get three major storms in such a quick 10 day succession.

The PNA had to come up sooner or later. ;)

The 12z Euro ensemble mean is further off shore, however you can clearly see the pull of the precip field back toward the coast in our area, indicating that the low is likely closer to the coast in our area, much as the operational model shows.

It's good to see a little more suppression in the mean at this range to allow for a correction closer

to the coast as we get near the potential event.

It's good to see a little more suppression in the mean at this range to allow for a correction closer

to the coast as we get near the potential event.

I agree bluwave its better to be on the SE side of guidance at this range and watch a west trend in the days to come. At the very least its a decent threat to track with seamingly more potential into the beginning of the new year. With plenty of cold building into Canada and the northern tier of the country and what should remain an active period, we'll likely have more threats to track beyond this storm.

test8.gif

I agree bluwave its better to be on the SE side of guidance at this range and watch a west trend in the days to come. At the very least its a decent threat to track with seamingly more potential into the beginning of the new year. With plenty of cold building into Canada and the northern tier of the country and what should remain an active period, we'll likely have more threats to track beyond this storm.

test8.gif

Hopefully, this storm finally delivers for all or part of our area. Nobody wants to see such a great -AO

pattern go to waste without at least at one good snow threat.

I guess the +PNA is going to be doing a lot of the work as the NAO and AO are both expected to go positive right before the new year.

It's interesting that the early November snow came at the last intersection of a rising PNA and AO.

At least this time, the models are more bullish on the PNA staying positive longer than that.

the last time we got three storms in a week was late February 2005...January 1978 had three in one week...all started as snow but the last one stayed snow for most of the storm...14" worth...

Weren't there also 3 storms in the span of a week in December 2008? From what I remember there was light-moderate snow on the 16-17th, heavy snow/mix on the 19th, and another mix event on the 20th or 21st.

Weak surface low just off OBX between 132-138. Light snow for everybody so far. Looks like another east/southeast solution...but the look is still good. Gotta like where we're at with this one at this range.

I would much rather take my chances between snow or no than the warm solutions that we have been

seeing lately. At least we finally have some legit potential to see if we can realize or not. This would be

a better monthly save than December 30,2000 considering how cold that month was here should

we pull this one off.

I would much rather take my chances between snow or no than the warm solutions that we have been

seeing lately. At least we finally have some legit potential to see if we can realize or not. This would be

a better monthly save than December 30,2000 considering how cold that month was here should

we pull this one off.

I think the rising PNA and falling EPO are the start of a very special period for us this winter. I'm hoping to see something like the stretch we had in 10-11 but that could be a stretch. It depends on how the NAO behaves after the +PNA weakens, but the next two weeks offer a January 2004 like pattern with multiple clippers possible and some very cold air, especially just to our northwest. 12z Euro and 18z GFS have several periods with -15C 850s in the metro area.

Archived