• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
12/29 - New Years Storm Threat Discussion

Dsnowx53

I dont know why so many focus on the nao or that theres a pv in new england. You cut storms in this case because the pacific flow is too fast.it will mean the storm.cuts and the primary stays strong enough long enough that when it secondaries too late. Yes theres a block but too little for us with all due respect the atlantic is a child compared to the pacific. Theres plenty of cold air in canada and will swing in and out in a progressive way unless u spike the pna. Which u r not. Every 3 days systems r being driven into cali. The wave lenghts r short and any system takes aim at the lakes. U hav to trust me on ths unless u slow the pacific and elongate the wave lengths by spiking the pna gona b hard to drive a center to the se coast and then up. Merry xmas

One of the problems is that Canada is NOT that cold.

post-475-0-93092100-1356291549_thumb.gif

The PV is mostly sitting over Northern Greenland and Siberia in this pattern (particularly eastern Siberia). We're cut off from the big-league cold so we aren't going to benefit from lows going to our west because we don't have the antecedent arctic air.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

JMA is a big time hit with this storm for our area, taking the low from Alabama at 144hrs to Cape Cod at 168 hrs as a 981mb low. It drops more than 1 inch of precip in our area with 850 temps well below freezing in our area as the storm takes a just off shore track. Apparently perfect for our area as far as I can tell. And best of all, the JMA currently has the highest accuracy ratings currently at 8 days, although this is more like 7 days out.

post-1914-0-25085800-1356293661_thumb.pn

i don't see how this gives us a snowstorm. the euro and its ens mean give us rain and the pattern supports it.... above normal heights to the east of the system and no confluence to our NE

I don't think we can say that for sure. Every model has something different in that regard right now. If the Euro is only slightly slower with the ULL moving out of the northeast, there is better confluence and the surface low redevelops sooner. The Euro is also much quicker to close off the shortwave over the MS Valley. We'll see.

Archived