amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
12/29 - New Years Storm Threat Discussion

Dsnowx53

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

0z GFS is basically where we want it. Low strengthens too late and goes out to sea, but it's plenty cold for NYC and we have 120 hours to go. Verbatim it's like a 3-6" event as has been said, maybe a little less. Has the signature of a major Nor'easter as we've seen on the GFS at this time frame not phasing systems properly.

Not sure why you think that as the trough never goes negative until its out in the atlantic swimming with the whales

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/NCOMAGWEB/appcontroller?prevPage=Model&MainPage=indexℑ=&page=Param&cycle=12%2F25%2F2012+00UTC&rname=SFC-LAYER+PARMS&pname=10m_wnd_precip&pdesc=&model=GFS&area=NAMER&cat=MODEL+GUIDANCE&fcast=114&areaDesc=North+America+-+US+Canada+and+northern+Mexico&prevArea=NAMER&currKey=model&returnToModel=&imageSize=M

It corrects itself eventually, but still there's a center of low pressure in the Ohio Valley this run...

0z GFS is basically where we want it. Low strengthens too late and goes out to sea, but it's plenty cold for NYC and we have 120 hours to go. Verbatim it's like a 3-6" event as has been said, maybe a little less. Has the signature of a major Nor'easter as we've seen on the GFS at this time frame not phasing systems properly.

Yup. The GFS is still in the zone where H5 changes significantly each run, however it's consistently off the coast

If the outerbanks to inside the BM is the Ohio valley, we live in the midwest.

You've got to be kidding me. First of all, I said EARLIER frames. It reforms off the coast of North Carolina later on. There is a sub 1014 surface low in Ohio. Look at the map:

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/NCOMAGWEB/appcontroller?prevPage=Model&MainPage=indexℑ=&page=Param&cycle=12%2F25%2F2012+00UTC&rname=SFC-LAYER+PARMS&pname=10m_wnd_precip&pdesc=&model=GFS&area=NAMER&cat=MODEL+GUIDANCE&fcast=114&areaDesc=North+America+-+US+Canada+and+northern+Mexico&prevArea=NAMER&currKey=model&returnToModel=&imageSize=M

Well east of the area by 132. No precip for the NYC metro.

Looks south of the Benchmark. Not too concerned yet, but I'd like to start seeing the models trend NW and actually hit the area soon.

At least another 1-2 days of it staying offshore as depicted by the models is fine by me. This one is starting to look legit and it will trend NW eventually, that's almost a guarantee.

Beyond this storm, Euro has -20C 850s over the Northeast at Day 10 when it ejects the energy from the southwest trough. Powerful system potentially developing in the nation's midsection with a potential for strong overrunning given the cold airmass and 50/50 low (confluence) in place. Almost reminds me of PDII but let's not get carried away. Blocking is trying to develop in the North Atlantic but highly east-based, unfortunately. Still a very favorable set-up and a fabulous antecedent airmass.

Archived