• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Christmas Special - Prelude to a high impact event?

Bob Chill

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And if you look at the same point in time from hr 30 12z and the last 3 runs, the trend @ 500 is definitely better. Not to be implied as "good for us" yet but definitely better. We can't just have a little wound up vort pass north and expect much. Now we are seing the vort to the north being modeled much weaker and the area to the south of us being stronger. Can't really complain.

Might not mean much but I like seeing the area of vorticity showing up on the 12z NAM around the TN/AL border. That's one way to get heavier rates. It's already showing @ hr 27. Kinda warm @ 850 though. If the 850 low forms further south on this run then it gets very interesting.

Hr 33 and 36 on NAM have 850 line further SW almost wedged....looking back it appears better than anything I saw prior...that line has always been north of us...maybe we get a flake or two out of this..

It's probably snow at 33 hours though it is winding down at that point...with sfc in the mid 30s....will be nice to look at if it happens....it is a quick mover....like a 3 hour event?

If I can walk the neighborhood tomorrow evening or night looking at Christmas light displays with a steady snow falling, I'd be more than happy.

If I can walk the neighborhood tomorrow evening or night looking at Christmas light displays with a steady snow falling, I'd be more than happy.

It will be later in Baltimore...but it mainly falls between noon and 4 according to GFS in DC....at KJYO at 3pm, 850 temp is -0.6 and sfc is 35...it is probably lt snow or rain/snow...the column is below freezing until you get to maybe 975mb....so maybe there will be some conversational flakes...I'm guessing it starts as rain....

It will be later in Baltimore...but it mainly falls between noon and 4 according to GFS in DC....at KJYO at 3pm, 850 temp is -0.6 and sfc is 35...it is probably lt snow or rain/snow...the column is below freezing until you get to maybe 975mb....so maybe there will be some conversational flakes...I'm guessing it starts as rain....

I wish that there was a better station near here to get soundings. Either way, I'll take whatever frozen I can get.

This actually is the event that gives us the better shot as seeing some flakes though the surface temps in the city get well into the 30s. I don't see much hope for the boxing day storm except for ice out in the hinterlands and even then it might not last long.

euro is colder than the GFS and starts a little later....I think it isn't unreasonable that we see conversational flakes with some deck/cartop dusting in the steadier snow

Decent area of .25 just n & w of 95. Looks like all snow but surface temps above freezing till you get pretty far West. Even then it looks like precip would be over.

If you take the run for what it is, someone gets a slushy inch. Sure would be fun to see a couple hours of snow falling from the sky wouldn't it?

18z NAM soundings for tomorrow are basically isothermal at or just below freezing from 850 to 975 for IAD and BWI at 21z tomorrow. DCA is (of course) just a fraction of a degree warmer. By 0z, temps have cooled above 900, but warmed below, to around 1-2C.

I'd say probably slushy snow ending as light rain/drizzle.

18z NAM soundings for tomorrow are basically isothermal at or just below freezing from 850 to 975 for IAD and BWI at 21z tomorrow. DCA is (of course) just a fraction of a degree warmer. By 0z, temps have cooled above 900, but warmed below, to around 1-2C.

IMHO, It's game over for anyone below the fall line / SE of 95.. if people in these areas (ie. AA/PG/DC) start as rain, its going to be all rain. If your NW of 95 and you start as snow, then you may have an hour (more NW) to see flakes. Fredrick, Carroll, York and Lancaster are best lined up to see 2+ hours of snow before changing over later in the evening.

That would be my guess after seeing the nam. I didn't look at the GFS. too much football to watch.

That would be my guess after seeing the nam. I didn't look at the GFS. too much football to watch.

Would you at least agree that it's more likely than not that we see snow fall for a time? At least West of 95? It looks that way to me but it's awful close. I had fun walking the dog in the flurry last week. Such a sad state of affairs. Lol

Archived