Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Chill Storm Discussion and Obs

WinterWxLuvr

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wes, don't we have to wait until that PAC storm is onshore to see what the models ingest in terms of data? Or is that just with short waves?

Of course it's always nicer to that the shortwave that will produce the storm come into the conus so it can be resolved a little better but I think the bigger issue is the problems the models are having over canada.

The euro ens mean is ugly and really supports the operational and it's getting into a time range when it shouldn't be that bad. The depth of the low suggests that most of the members are in the same general area.

post-70-0-52604600-1356209498_thumb.gif

that's 6 hrs later than the 18Z NAM at 84 hrs with slp but NAM looks to be in line with the Euro, but not as strong with only a 1004 slp (6 hrs earlier, as I said)

http://mag.ncep.noaa...el=&imageSize=M

If it makes anyone feel any better the 18z NAM has the same setup as the old GFS idea. The block up in Canada is still there and the 500 and surface low placement is identical to the 0z GFS run. Maybe its a initialization or grid size issue. Or its the 84 hr nam and we're just gonna get rain. I'm leaning the latter.

~Snet form a deivce that cannot speel.

If it makes anyone feel any better the 18z NAM has the same setup as the old GFS idea. The block up in Canada is still there and the 500 and surface low placement is identical to the 0z GFS run. Maybe its a initialization or grid size issue. Or its the 84 hr nam and we're just gonna get rain. I'm leaning the latter.

It is the NAM. Good try..

Anybody remember a week or so ago when Wes told us over and over that the pattern favored a track to the north and West?

Seriously, there is really no point in going through all of this agony over these storms. Just read the updates from Wes. He is pretty much never wrong 5-10 days out and within 4 days he is deadly.

Anybody remember a week or so ago when Wes told us over and over that the pattern favored a track to the north and West?

Even if it transfers there are so many problems associated with that type of event. Could easily see a trend back east still..

But, this whole model thing is almost predictable.. we can't forecasts as well without them but sometimes I wonder if we really need as many and as often. Many times you see a forecast idea from further out end up having to vacillate with the models only to end up back nearer the original idea. Perhaps it's just random.

We don't do well with tricky setups here. I know some say 1/4" followed by rain is a win but it's a pretty small win if so.

The NAM is isnt a global model right? Which would be more likely to accurate with features in southern Canada because by the 84 panel the NAM and GFS are miles apart at 500 level in that region.

I know exactly what you're saying Ian. For the most part, almost nobody looks passed 5 days. It's just weird with winter weather. There's a common interest with such a large groups of folks. Hurricanes too but still not as big as winter weenies.

I've been into it for as long as I can remember. Like many others as well. I even moved to the Rockies for 7 years because I was a very avid skier. I was probably into skiing so much because of the snow affliction.

For whatever really weird reason we all get attached to any and every snowy pattern and threat. I'm sure some shrink somewhere knows why. I sure don't.

Well, don't give me too much credit Wed I was ready for you to replace me and start doing the CWG discussions as all the models had swung east. Welcome to dc weather. The only saving grace about the current model forecast is that one met who was crowing is now probably getting a little more subdued.

Now the pattern is looking better in that there should be lots more cold air around going forward but .....we have to keep the pattern from being a dry one. Let's hope there is enough of a southern stream to keep things interesting.

I gave it back to the people last night. They gave it to Cuba. It's going to come full circle, just be patient.

lol, except for PSuHoffman the named storms have not done well. The Chill storm is about to rank up there with the Tracker bus storm in terms of weenie frustration infamy. Nowthat we are getting the PNA right it looks like we're losing the block for bit, not just the NAO block but the eastern canada one.

Can't believe Wes pulled plug after one run. He is probably right but maybe wait one more day?

You mean the boxer day storm? Maybe it comes back east a little but we're running out of time. Also, the solution fit my old ideas about the storm and I'm not writing an official CWG piece so I can be a little more daring than if I was making an official forecast. Having the euro and GFS now in such close agreement along with their ens means suggests the wiggle room is narrowing rapidly.

I have no thoughts about the Dec 29 or Jan 1 or 2 events if they are still one the models. I'm content for now to watch this threat wither away.

Archived