Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
December 20th-22nd Major Winter Storm Part II

andyhb

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep, and it wouldn't be shocking to see a northwest/warmer tick as we get closer given the negatively tilting wave.

Your probably not helping things...for those that are in that spot right now. :lol:

Regardless, some act like the NAM took this thing over MSN with this run. It was worse to the left a day and a half ago. Sure there's always fringe changes as we get closer, always happens...but the general areas for the best snows that we've all outlined are still a go. Not that one run of the NAM should change things anyway.

Your probably not helping things...for those that are in that spot right now. :lol:

Regardless, some act like the NAM took this thing over MSN with this run. It was worse to the left a day and a half ago. Sure there's always fringe changes as we get closer, always happens...but the general areas for the best snows that we've all outlined are still a go. Not that one run of the NAM should change things anyway.

Of course, but a small change like 20 miles can make all the difference if you're near a sharp gradient.

Low pressure centered over southern Utah, associated band of precipitation extending from the AZ/Mexico border to Utah. Still fairly weak and broad, but soon the right entrance of the jet streak will be in the lee of the Rockies and things will really get cooking. If that GFS forecast unfolds just wow. This is going to be an epic couple of days.

Already have a slushy 1.4" on the ground here, been having intermittent freezing drizzle and the roads and sidewalks are a nightmare.

Of course, but a small change like 20 miles can make all the difference if you're near a sharp gradient.

Well yeah. I'm just playing optimist/sooth sayer for those on the line. Much easier I suppose when its not MBY. Like I said, it's not fun sitting there.

I'll adopt CID. Extracted off the NAM is all good. 1.06" total liquid, maybe a brief start of some mix...but should be a good hit.

Basically the NAM lays down 2 separate bands of major accumulations. The first one lines up from Omaha to La Crosse towards Green Bay. Then as the storm begins to bomb early Thu a new deform takes place over far eastern Iowa and northern Illinois. That then matures into a potent deformation band with heavy snows. For northern Illinois the evolution of this secondary deformation zone will be key. The quicker it evolves the more snow potential there is on the southern end of it.

That's what the GFS was trying to do on the last run. So many questions still! haha

From the GRB AFD.

ONE NEGATIVE THAT TURNED UP THIS EVENING. MOISTURE HAS BEEN SLOW

TO RETURN OFF THE GULF. A COLD FRONT PUSHED ACROSS THE GULF

MONDAY...PUSHING THE DEEPER MOISTURE OFF TO THE SE. A SHALLOW

RETURN FLOW IS NOW STARTING WITH SFC DWPTS IN THE 50S F ACRS SE

TX...BUT 850 MB AND 925 MB MIXING RATIOS AND PWATS NOT VERY

IMPRESSIVE RIGHT NOW. THE START OF THE SNOWS STILL ABOUT 30 HOURS

AWAY...SO JUST SOMETHING TO WATCH.

Well yeah. I'm just playing optimist/sooth sayer for those on the line. Much easier I suppose when its not MBY. Like I said, it's not fun sitting there.

I'll adopt CID. Extracted off the NAM is all good. 1.06" total liquid, maybe a brief start of some mix...but should be a good hit.

Table scraps for us. Maybe we can get the Christmas storm to produce.

MT saukville elevation is only 8500' ...but i'm guessing all snow at that level :snowman:

Inch and a half precip for Madtown? Might as well close down the city now. I remember years back when they had all that snow. Could barely see to get through any of the intersections...and don't even think about getting 2 cars down some of those streets...

Mind explaining that a bit? Bit of a cluster**** of lines and colors when I don't know what I'm looking for lol

The pretty colors were supposed to tell you the story.

Some warming in the column under 675mb between 11-21z, but heavier precip rates should keep it as snow for the most part. Might have some mixy issues for a time. Decent amount of elevated CAPE and nice omega in the colum, including the snow growth zone...with TSSN potential.

Archived