• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
December 20th-22nd Major Winter Storm Part II

andyhb

Local TV met giving in and backing down. Just posted on FB that the QC will only get 1-3". Pretty much what I was thinking earlier tonight. Still a slim chance we could do better than that if the secondary deform can get organized quick enough.

Poor guy is getting raked over the coals by his "friends" now. What a bunch of douches.

I'm a bit disappointed in trends today (starting with last night's Euro), but this will still be a fun event to watch unfold to be sure. It's definitely been fun tracking this beast! :guitar:

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The pretty colors were supposed to tell you the story.

Some warming in the column under 675mb between 11-21z, but heavier precip rates should keep it as snow for the most part. Might have some mixy issues for a time. Decent amount of elevated CAPE and nice omega in the colum, including the snow growth zone...with TSSN potential.

Ha I meant more to ask what each line/color represented since I'm on my phone and can't read any labels or legends ... If there are any. Thanks

The pretty colors were supposed to tell you the story.

Some warming in the column under 675mb between 11-21z, but heavier precip rates should keep it as snow for the most part. Might have some mixy issues for a time. Decent amount of elevated CAPE and nice omega in the colum, including the snow growth zone...with TSSN potential.

For who? Chicago area?

Basically the NAM lays down 2 separate bands of major accumulations. The first one lines up from Omaha to La Crosse towards Green Bay. Then as the storm begins to bomb early Thu a new deform takes place over far eastern Iowa and northern Illinois. That then matures into a potent deformation band with heavy snows. For northern Illinois the evolution of this secondary deformation zone will be key. The quicker it evolves the more snow potential there is on the southern end of it.

In graphical form.

post-384-0-34074200-1355888591_thumb.gif

Ha I meant more to ask what each line/color represented since I'm on my phone and can't read any labels or legends ... If there are any. Thanks

lol, oh.

Red/blue is omega (bullseye toward left middle). Tigher packed pink/yellow is snow growth zone (center of image good example). More horizonal yellow/greenish lines are temps. Unfortunately there is no legend, so that's the best I can do.

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE QUAD CITIES IA IL

954 PM CST TUE DEC 18 2012

UPDATE

DPROG/DT OF 00Z NAM SHOWS MODEL TRENDING SLOWER...STRONGER AND

FURTHER SOUTHWEST WITH MAJOR STORM WED NGT-THU. THIS MAY HAVE

IMPACTS ON SLOWING A BIT THE CHANGE OVER TO SNOW ESPECIALLY FROM

QUAD CITIES S/E ON THU. IN ADDITION... PCPN MAY WELL CONTINUE

FOR MUCH OF THE DAY THU. STILL LOOKS LIKE HEAVIEST SNOW ACCUMS

(8-12 INCHES) WILL OCCUR W/NW OF QUAD CITIES... ESPECIALLY

NEAR/NORTH OF KCID-KDBQ AXIS. VERY CONCERNED ABOUT THE

WINDS... WITH LATEST NAM SHOWING A TIGHT MSLP GRADIENT OF ABOUT

26 MILLIBARS ACROSS THE STATE OF IA BY 18Z THU... WITH 925

MILLIBAR WINDS PROGGED AROUND 50 KTS. SHOULD SEE SFC WINDS

SUSTAINED AT 25-35 MPH WITH GUSTS TO AROUND 50+ MPH. 18Z GEFS

WIND MAGNITUDE ANOMALIES FROM 1000-850 MILLIBARS ARE A WHOPPING

3 TO 4 STANDARD DEVIATIONS ABOVE THE MEAN. BOTTOM LINE... IF

THESE WINDS WERE TO VERIFY WE WOULD BE LOOKING POTENTIALLY AT

A PARALYZING STORM.

At least it's snow and not ice.

Looking forward to watching obs out of Benton Harbor tomorrow night. Not sure how close the station is to the water but they have a chance to see really high winds as the low reaches its maximum depth and winds turn onshore.

Any eastern shore Lake MI wind obs will be very interesting to watch during this event. Especially in the areas that see lake effect snow. Will be interesting to see how well lake effect/lake enhanced bands will be able to organize with strong flow though.

From IWX on LES possibilities

.LAKE EFFECT PARAMETERS

ARE GOOD BUT NOTHING SPECTACULAR. 850MB DELTA T`S WILL BE AROUND 15C

WITH MAX CONVECTIVE DEPTHS AROUND 10 KFT...AND ONLY FROM ROUGHLY

00Z-09Z. BANDS WILL ALSO HAVE DIFFICULTY ORGANIZING WITH 850MB WINDS

AT 60+ KNOTS. SNOW RATIOS WILL ALSO BE A POTENTIAL LIMITING FACTOR

WITH MAX OMEGA LARGELY BELOW THE DGZ AND STRONG WINDS FRACTURING ANY

POSSIBLE DENDRITES. GIVEN THESE CONCERNS AND THE FACT THAT THE BEST

LOW-MIDLEVEL DEFORMATION/FGEN AND TROWAL AXIS WILL BE NORTH OF OUR

CWA...EXPECT HIGHEST SNOWFALL AMOUNTS TO REMAIN NORTH/WEST OF HERE.

EXPECT GENERALLY 2-5 INCHES IN THE NORTHWEST FROM 00Z-18Z AND AN

INCH OR LESS IN THE SOUTHEAST.

Still an annoying discrepancy between the NAM/GFS in that regard.

What's interesting is the NAM and GFS both show fairly similar gust potential on the instant-weather-map site. Both show similar 50-60mph surface gust potential.

I'm guessing there's a good chance that we'll be losing power in this area Thursday afternoon. Water will likely freeze a bit on area trees/powerlines as temps crash. That combined with 50-60mph gusts for 6+hrs is gonna reek havoc.

Archived