Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
December 20th-22nd Major Winter Storm Part II

andyhb

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is it realistic?

In this case, I believe it is. Seen this so often...rapid model adjustments as the upper low is beginning to eject the Rockies. Models still can't handle complex interactions with terrain...and how that feed backs to the synoptics. It can go both ways. Wait for GFS to confirm, but NAM is likely on to something.

We will see...

This is looking more and more, like an all rain event for MBY...... I am treating it like a spring severe storm, and not so much a snow storm. TV mets were talking wind gusts could near 60 for a brief period tomorrow, and that has me worried. We might see 1-2" IMBY, but I think at this point, that might be generous. Wind damage has me more concerned at this point. I am not even worried about snow. Not only that, with the falling temps, ice is going to be a concern as well..

We will see...

This is looking more and more, like an all rain event for MBY...... I am treating it like a spring severe storm, and not so much a snow storm. TV mets were talking wind gusts could near 60 for a brief period tomorrow, and that has me worried. We might see 1-2" IMBY, but I think at this point, that might be generous. Wind damage has me more concerned at this point. I am not even worried about snow. Not only that, with the falling temps, ice is going to be a concern as well..

It has never been all rain...an inch on the backside is pretty much the worst case floor at this point.

What a tough call if you're at the forecast desk at LOT, you know? If it would pan out as seen on the NAM of course...

I'd bump the northwest counties to winter storm warnings...even if the totals fall short it's going to fall in a short time with a lot of wind so the impacts will be there. I'd probably go with a WWA for remaining north of I80 counties for similar impact related reasons.

MKE snowfall forecast, 16.7" in Madison! More like a snowfall forecast for an upslope event in the Rockies than for a storm in Wisconsin :snowman:

SnowMap_MKX.png

Surface low now centered at the NM/CO/TX border, expected to reach the plains in the next 6 hours. Large area of precip developing across the plains, even have some echoes in northeast IA. Best snows across the front range at the moment, 19 °F and snowing in Denver.

Just have one more final exam to take this morning and then I'm free to track this storm, perfect timing.

I love the orientation of the upper levels. Typically when an upper PV pounches in from the W/SW, you get a very well defined dry airstream intrusion and large dryslot. In positive tilt configurations, typically moist DMC is shunted well away from the upper level low/surface low along the warm front...which kills moist advection into the deform band. In this nearly SSW flow and neutral tilt configuration, much of the DMC farther S will be feeding directly into the deform band.

post-999-0-84651600-1355927932_thumb.png

Green Bay office prepped me last night for the inevitable and to fuhgettabout about a little colder solution earlier in the storm. See what the rest do at 12z but I bet they come in not much different and hot. Backside still looks sexy for a few hr ride on the NAM.

AS MENTIONED EARLIER...NO CHANGES TO HEADLINES OR SNOW AMOUNTS

THIS EVENING. 21Z SREF AND 00Z NAM CAME IN WITHOUT ANY

SURPRISES...AND SIMILAR TO PREVIOUS RUNS.

FEELING IS THAT LOW-

LEVEL CYCLONE WL STILL TRACK A LITTLE FARTHER W THAN SHOWN BY THE

MODELS...WITH SFC CENTER PROBABLY TRACKING JUST SE OF MKE AND OUT

OVER LAKE MICHGIAN.

Archived