• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Upstate NY/North Country + adjacent ON, QC, VT: Heading into December

Alpha5

Band (especially near the lake) is only about 6 miles wide....inland more like 15 or so.  Consider yourself lucky at this point to see anything.  I think we are about to see this band become one gargantuan mega band if Geo Bay make a complete connection (not just seeding or blending on radar, but actually sharing the same vertical circulation structure)

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nothing here in l'pool, flurries at home from what i hear. Band looks nice, set to stay where it is with wobble. Surprised if Warning not dropped/reduced in Onon/Madison Ctys soon. Tough call being so close by.

If you read the AFD out of BUF, they are pretty convinced of the southward push, due to an observed boundary (subtle on radar) pushing SE'ward over the W. end of L. Ontario....Not one model (for today's movements) has kept it in Oswego Co. all day.

Picked up about 1/2" here today. The band has been sitting within 5 miles of me all day but failed to really get here (just to me south). At times for a couple hours I did have a few moderate burst but nothing more than that. Event total here is about 5.5". Was in Buffalo earlier and they barely have a dusting.

Yeah I got into it quite a bit earlier, drove into the town which is like 1/2 miles away and they got 3-4 inches out of that band that didn't move all day. It's all pure fluff, so doesn't take long to accumulate quickly. One 40 degree day and all of its gone, that's how fluffy it is. ^_^

Yeah I got into it quite a bit earlier, drove into the town which is like 1/2 miles away and they got 3-4 inches out of that band that didn't move all day. It's all pure fluff, so doesn't take long to accumulate quickly. One 40 degree day and all of its gone, that's how fluffy it is. ^_^

Which is supposed to happen on Tuesday according to the latest forecast for Buffalo:

.TUESDAY...MOSTLY CLOUDY WITH A 30 PERCENT CHANCE OF RAIN SHOWERS.HIGHS IN THE LOWER 40S. 

Which is supposed to happen on Tuesday according to the latest forecast for Buffalo:

.TUESDAY...MOSTLY CLOUDY WITH A 30 PERCENT CHANCE OF RAIN SHOWERS.

HIGHS IN THE LOWER 40S.

To be honest that will feel fantastic. Love the snow but this cold is brutal. My thermometer says 7 degrees and the windchill is hovering around -10 or so.

My take is that this thing has about had it. Band should move through and drop maybe 2 to 5 on most spots and then snowshowers thereafter. Band seems to be weakening over the lake towards Rochester. jm2c Hope I am wrong. This thing was peak late last night and this morning. I like the look of the pattern late next week and beyond. Not last year by any means. Great lake effect event(Sunday Night too!).

Just measured about 2 1/2 inches here this afternoon. It's let up quite a bit but the band lurks just to the north. Should get a couple more inches tonight as the band sinks south.

Edit: The band appears to be re-intensifying right now over southern Oswego County.

Honestly, most of the time I'd be calling for a clean sweep of the band in a situation like this where one observes the entire band fall off the lake....However, not only do a couple models shove this back over the lake after a 25 mile hiatus off the lake, but the SUNY SB MM5 from this morning actually reintensifies the band, while making a new connection....I'm 50/50 right now on which scenario to go with....we may not be done with this python yet....

Honestly, most of the time I'd be calling for a clean sweep of the band in a situation like this where one observes the entire band fall off the lake....However, not only do a couple models shove this back over the lake after a 25 mile hiatus off the lake, but the SUNY SB MM5 from this morning actually reintensifies the band, while making a new connection....I'm 50/50 right now on which scenario to go with....we may not be done with this python yet....

Hope you are right. You are not called the King for nothing!

Hope you are right. You are not called the King for nothing!

LOL!  I've only been tracking L. Ontario LES for 40 some years...when I chose the SN some 9 years ago, the King reference was in the amount of LES in Parish I received was "King" of all other posters (at the time)

Anywho......I'm encouraged by the subtle rebuilding of the banding framework going on over W. L. Ontario...interesting, as this is not a scenario that is often played out.  Usually once a band "gets off" the lake, it falls apart and the low level cold air takes over the lake surface and we are left with multiple weak banding structures that have much lower tops (ie tiny flake size)

Snowing at an inch an hour here. Maybe Liverpool could see the same kind of rates. Greens are going away fast right overhead. If this band can settle in and stay in the general area then maybe we could get some descent amounts. I see what you mean over the Lake. Band isn't moving south anymore.

Snowing at an inch an hour here. Maybe Liverpool could see the same kind of rates. Greens are going away fast right overhead. If this band can settle in and stay in the general area then maybe we could get some descent amounts. I see what you mean over the Lake. Band isn't moving south anymore.

Correct...all locations along the band have stopped their southward progress and it "appears" to be trying to reorient itself a bit more on a WNW line....as the upstream connection (and it's associated vertical wind circulation structure) is transposed onto the western end of the lake....meteorologically speaking, this is pretty unusual and fascinating.

Correct...all locations along the band have stopped their southward progress and it "appears" to be trying to reorient itself a bit more on a WNW line....as the upstream connection (and it's associated vertical wind circulation structure) is transposed onto the western end of the lake....meteorologically speaking, this is pretty unusual and fascinating.

What are the chances the band makes it far north as Hamburg tomorrow?

Archived