Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
December 9-11, 2012 (Winter?) Storm

weathergy

Did this happen even once last winter?

If it did it was extremely transient and made systems cut-off in the four corners quickly...obviously by nature they are all transient....but last year it was too damn rapid if it happened....

keepin' my eyes on the HP coming outta canada for tonights runs .... just trend checkin'

• Replies 953
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No different than Mr. bourgeois royal Al Gore himself trying to squash the fossil fuel industry so his business ventures into non-fossil fuel industries pay off.

The main difference is the climate science has moved more in Gore's favor during the last decade. In 1996, "climate change" was something people laughed at. By 2010, it had become much more serious and universally supported. I see JB types at my employer's all the time. They push out cold winter forecasts for their business and generally try to come off as 'skeptic', but get them into a quiet room and they are more open. JB is probably similiar. Lets face it as well, a warmer climate is still going to have cold, cold winters. Maybe the days of -10 in Ohio will be tougher to come by, but you don't need strong cold air for a snowy cold winter. People don't like cold air(we are the weenie freaks).

IMO the east coast factor is large as well. They flood, bad.

storm thread? Really?

I know a lot of you are not trying to troll, but a lot of the posts starting with DT and JB have turned this thread off topic. I highly recommend you guys start a "banter" thread of sorts, so that this thread can be only pertaining to the upcoming winter storm threat.

Didn't see this post until after I'd replied. You're right. JB talk should be kept out of storm threads. I think they actually started a JB thread in the NYC forum last Fall.

I know a lot of you are not trying to troll, but a lot of the posts starting with DT and JB have turned this thread off topic. I highly recommend you guys start a "banter" thread of sorts, so that this thread can be only pertaining to the upcoming winter storm threat.

I'm going to say this again. The off topic posts people are making don't belong in any other thread, so a banter thread is clearly a must. Keep this thread to storm discussion only.

It would help if you would delete the posts.

Sorry, I've been doing some work.

I created a JB, DT, and other banter thread. I moved a lot of those posts into that thread. Some of the posts, especially the ones with the composites weren't bad posts in themselves so I figured that it would be suitable to allow the participants to continue their discussion without polluting this thread, or another thread.

With the strong temperature gradient setting up and a strong jet impinging on the baroclinic zone I don't think there is anything to worry about as to whether or not there will be a system. I'm pretty confident that there will be something to track, just a matter of where this thing is gonna end up going.

As for the models, they'll be all over the place for a few more days. I wouldn't be looking for a whole lot of consistency from them... so don't jump off the cliff if it doesn't look good for a run.

With the strong temperature gradient setting up and a strong jet impinging on the baroclinic zone I don't think there is anything to worry about as to whether or not there will be a system. I'm pretty confident that there will be something to track, just a matter of where this thing is gonna end up going.

As for the models, they'll be all over the place for a few more days. I wouldn't be looking for a whole lot of consistency from them... so don't jump off the cliff if it doesn't look good for a run.

Well said as always. Bolded is one of the main keys here. Very favorable synoptic setup.

At least I called it right that the '**** the bed' runs of earlier in the day would go away this run. A couple funny things occur on this run but the main gist of it, is that a much stronger solution is back on board.

One thing I would note. I think this thing ends up digging deeper than the GFS shows currently, so I would expect to see further adjustments upward in strength.

Good call Stebs on the getting a good storm back on this run. No sense in getting into details but usually the H7 low passing over or just south of you is good. 850mb low track is a bit weird to me and with the sfc low track almost perfect this run for this location would of thought less of a WAA push earlier on.

LLJ orientation to the warm front might be hindering amount of cold sector precip but still a good snow for some and then it's off to the races once the trof goes crazy as the sfc low bombs out looking like some of the ensemble members as of late.

Archived