Newest Member
    northernriwx
December 9-11, 2012 (Winter?) Storm

weathergy

• Replies 953
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Widespread mid-sized amplified system?

Yeah, something that isn't insanely powerful, not a perfect bowling ball closed off 3 or 4 times at H5. But a system that pumps a lot of moisture on the cold side of the H7 and H8 fronts and has a huge wide front end band that mostly connects along the mid level to surface lows with a decent backside that get's stronger as the system deepens and closes off at H5.

I think in 1993 in mid to late February we had a couple systems move more West to East through the region laying down a lot of snow from South of I-70 to North of I-80. I might be exaggerating the effects of them. But I recall looking back and it being a lot of wide spread 3+ inches with relatively weak vort max.

This isn't a super organized vort lobe but it's pretty stout for such a weak system off the GFS as it amplify and head's east.

GFS_3_2012120500_F114_RELV_500_MB_S.png?t=1354685555

The outcome from the OP GFS is a decent 3-7 wide band in Iowa/MN and into southern Wisconsin. BUt it's pretty weak for a system that closes off at 5280DM for a bit over N. IL.

00zgfssnow150.gif?t=1354685715

I am not an expert, I don't want anyone to think I actually know what I am talking about. I am just trying to throw some ideas out there for us to go over. We have great Met's in this sub-forum, but the great met to "weenie" ratio is way low, so we have to go out on a limb and open up conversation about these details even if we are wrong over some things.

But the GFS does get this down a -300DM anomaly, that is very low and the out come is pretty weak for the places to my North.

00zgfs500mbHeightAnomalyNA132.gif?t=1354685843

Nice to see great prospects of a significant band of heavy snowfall for someone across the region. Haha, probably the worst timing, between a dynamic and a synoptic final, but when's the last time we've had a potential sub 990 mb deepening low moving through the region? In any case, great support tonight so far.

BTW, are the wunderground maps showcasing Euro precip anymore? Haven't checked the site for a long time, and was not able to see the last couple runs' precip/snowfall.

Nice to see great prospects of a significant band of heavy snowfall for someone across the region. Haha, probably the worst timing, between a dynamic and a synoptic final, but when's the last time we've had a potential sub 990 mb deepening low moving through the region? In any case, great support tonight so far.

BTW, are the wunderground maps showcasing Euro precip anymore? Haven't checked the site for a long time, and was not able to see the last couple runs' precip/snowfall.

March 2nd of this year I think.

Archived