northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
December 9-11, 2012 (Winter?) Storm

weathergy

• Replies 953
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There were plenty of storms last year that faded right around the same time frame...not saying this is a done deal and they're more or less unrelated but let's not act like this year has been any better.

Anyways, this thread really died with the 0z Euro...understandable, it was a terrible run. The ensembles also moved hard in that direction. So definitely some bad trends for just about the entire subforum. Hopefully we see some movement back towards a more dynamic setup today but anytime you see movement across the globals and their ensembles all in one direction...it becomes hard to discount. Don't be surprised to see the trends continue...less digging and a quicker passage across the northern tier of the country...pretty much the opposite of what I was feeling a day or two ago.

HPC talking about the unfortunate trends

TELECONNECTIONS RELATIVE TO THE UPSTREAM RIDGE HAVE

FAVORED DECENT SWWD ELONGATION OF FLOW WITHIN THE OVERALL MEAN

TROF... AND SOME PRIOR GUIDANCE PLUS THE 00Z UKMET SHOW THIS IDEA

WHICH WOULD LEAD TO SLOWER EJECTION. HOWEVER THE LATEST MAJORITY

CLUSTERING OF MDLS/ENSEMBLES SUGGESTS THAT THE UPSTREAM NRN PAC

SYSTEM WILL ROUND THE RIDGE SUFFICIENTLY QUICKLY TO PUSH ALONG THE

LEADING SYSTEM IN A FASTER MANNER. GIVEN THIS TREND OCCURRING

FAIRLY EARLY IN THE MEDR PERIOD SUCH A SCENARIO APPEARS SLIGHTLY

MORE LIKELY SO WILL LEAN IN THAT DIRECTION FOR THE DETERMINISTIC

FCST. WITH THIS SYSTEM THE 00Z ECMWF LEANS TO THE FAST SIDE WHILE

THE GFS IS SLOWER/DEEPER WITH AN AVG OF ENSEMBLE MEANS BETWEEN

THESE SOLNS. AT SOME FCST HRS THE GEFS MEAN IS SOMEWHAT SLOW AS

WELL THOUGH.

There were plenty of storms last year that faded right around the same time frame...not saying this is a done deal and they're more or less unrelated but let's not act like this year has been any better.

Anyways, this thread really died with the 0z Euro...understandable, it was a terrible run. The ensembles also moved hard in that direction. So definitely some bad trends for just about the entire subforum. Hopefully we see some movement back towards a more dynamic setup today but anytime you see movement across the globals and their ensembles all in one direction...it becomes hard to discount. Don't be surprised to see the trends continue...less digging and a quicker passage across the northern tier of the country...pretty much the opposite of what I was feeling a day or two ago.

Bolded below FWIW.

The Euro op has trended much weaker with the early week system for the Plains/Midwest. The GFS op has a strong system, but it's delayed and does not really start churning until it reached Indianapolis on Monday morning. The Euro ensemble actually looks closer to the GFS op than the Euro op. I still feel confident that there will a formidable storm next week, but there is high uncertainty as to where it ends up.

I was reading that this morning..he's keeping the faith in a storm for our region but even the ensembles seem to be hinting pretty hard that big storm potential is backing off some.

Well, we'll see. I'll personally give it two more days before heading to the lifeboats.

Mike Tice calling the plays?

Sorry OT.

I can't glean much looking at 24 hr intervals on the op Euro and its ensembles. In between hours I assume may have differences.

yeah the sketchy intervals and inconsistent timing issues make comparing Euro ensemble runs hard. Just looks to me like the great basin trough is trending less robust and the resulting baroclinic zone tamer but maybe not.

I'm saving all my Tim Beckman winter zingers for when it's February and it still hasn't snowed.

Is the NAM picking up the storm yet?

Normally I'd look myself, but I'm burned out from the (by and large) absolute boredom we've had for the past (at least) 12 months and the few non-threats we've had.

NAM was picking up on the first wave pretty good. Not in range yet for the second (in the Midwest at least).

Is the NAM picking up the storm yet?

Normally I'd look myself, but I'm burned out from the (by and large) absolute boredom we've had for the past (at least) 12 months and the few non-threats we've had.

Of course it has the system but it's on the fringe of its range and has been rather inconsistent (as expected) with handling of the h5/vort. It does appear to favor the dominant northern 850 low that we're seeing emerge across the models.

Early guess after looking at the Pacific is to be prepared for some more inconsistency from the 12z GFS....Pac ridge def a little less flat. Watching the early periods and trying to extrapolate changes is always fun...but I kind of suck at it.

EDIT: western trough should be at least a little more amplified this run...might help produce something a little more interesting for the region.

Early guess after looking at the Pacific is to be prepared for some more inconsistency from the 12z GFS....Pac ridge def a little less flat. Watching the early periods and trying to extrapolate changes is always fun...but I kind of suck at it.

Agreed....72hrs out and the 500mb map is pretty noticeably different already in the N. Plains

Agreed....72hrs out and the 500mb map is pretty noticeably different already in the N. Plains

Not to downplay the changes in the Pacific but it didn't take much to lead to some rather drastic downstream changes with the amplification of the western trough.

Legit baroclinic zone with this run....should be a good hit for IA/WI (this is correct + NW IL)

850 low still displaced well NW

Iowa crew to MKE crew make out nicely...extreme northern tier of IL does ok. Going to need that 850 much further southwest to avoid cold rain in Chicago.

I'd be a little fearful of mix, if I was in MKE...as it's modeled on the GFS. 700 low overtop them, 850 fairly close.

Archived