• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter '12/'13 Complaint Thread

dmc76

Glad to know I'll have company. smile.png Descending into insanity is always done better in pairs.

Realistically though I don't think we get that far without an inch of snow, that would be downright incredible especially considering the long range forecast showing a pattern shift finally. The only way it were to go wrong would be too much suppression, which is always a possibility though I am doubting that would be the case this time.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

HAHAh biggrin.png......I might just have to do this again this year :P haha....

Is that really yours? Those are cool. Actually last year you do have to admit when it got cold it snowed, it just didnt get cold too often and was always fleeting. That machine probably needs 28 or colder? Either way you won't need it this year ;-)

Is that really yours? Those are cool. Actually last year you do have to admit when it got cold it snowed, it just didnt get cold too often and was always fleeting. That machine probably needs 28 or colder? Either way you won't need it this year ;-)

LOL, OF COURSE IT'S MINE.. I issue my own warnings/watches (also for neighbors). Once in a while I cancel my class, don't go to work. LOL

When was the last winter storm warning issued for your area?

February 23rd, 2012 was the last warning I received, and it turned out to be a bust.

MIZ068>070-075-076-241115-

/O.CON.KDTX.WS.W.0001.000000T0000Z-120225T0000Z/

LIVINGSTON-OAKLAND-MACOMB-WASHTENAW-WAYNE-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...HOWELL...PONTIAC...WARREN...ANN ARBOR...

DETROIT

1012 PM EST THU FEB 23 2012

...WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 7 PM EST FRIDAY...

HAZARDOUS WEATHER...

* SNOW WILL SPREAD FROM SOUTH TO NORTH OVER THE REGION BETWEEN 10

PM AND MIDNIGHT...AND THEN INCREASE INTENSITY DURING THE

OVERNIGHT HOURS. A MIX OF RAIN AND SLEET WILL BE POSSIBLE AT

THE ONSET ALONG AND SOUTH OF I 94.

* THE PEAK OF THE EVENT WILL BE FROM 3 AM TO 9 AM...INCLUDING THE

MORNING COMMUTE.

* TOTAL SNOW ACCUMULATIONS WILL BE 5 TO 8 INCHES. AREAS SOUTH OF

M 14 WILL BE CLOSER TO 3 OR 4 INCHES. ISOLATED LOCATIONS NORTH

OF M 59 MAY EXCEED 8 INCHES...ESPECIALLY WITH ANY THUNDERSNOW

THAT DEVELOPS DURING THE EARLY MORNING.

* NORTH WINDS WILL GUST UP TO 30 MPH BY FRIDAY AFTERNOON

RESULTING IN BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW.

IMPACTS...

* UNTREATED ROADS WILL BE HAZARDOUS THROUGH FRIDAY MORNING.

* LIMITED VISIBILITY WILL MAKE TRAVEL CONDITIONS VERY SLOW

DURING THE FRIDAY MORNING COMMUTE.

* SOME BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW ON FRIDAY WILL CONTINUE TO

MAKE FOR DIFFICULT DRIVING CONDITIONS THROUGH THE DAY...

ESPECIALLY ON THE EAST-WEST ROADS.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

* A WINTER STORM WARNING MEANS SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF SNOW

EXPECTED. THIS WILL MAKE TRAVEL VERY HAZARDOUS.

* PREPARE...PLAN...AND STAY INFORMED. VISIT

HTTP://GO.USA.GOV/RR8

&&

$$

20120225_0300.png

What a major disappointment that was.

When was the last winter storm warning issued for your area?

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE INDIANAPOLIS IN

133 PM EST TUE FEB 1 2011

...POTENTIALLY CATASTROPHIC WINTER STORM TO CONTINUE TO IMPACT

CENTRAL INDIANA...

...ICE STORM WARNING IN EFFECT UNTIL 7 AM EST WEDNESDAY...

...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 7 AM TO 7 PM EST

WEDNESDAY...

for the last week or so my weather following is simply logging onto the euro site and checking out the 500 pattern on day 10. Until I start to see something interesting evolving in the longrange euro, I've decided to enjoy the benign weather. Nothing we can do. The extent and impressiveness of the 850 temps on that map describes the warmth, not the cold. I guess one could argue that when/if that cold air does dive south, one hell of a storm will ignite somewhere in the conus.

I'm very skeptical of some of these early winter forecasts calling for a harsh winter. I think it's more likely that last winter will be remembered as the ugly beginning to a stretch of mild winters, than it will be remembered as an anomaly among good winters. I hope I'm choking on crow in a month, (remember this IS the complaint thread).

post-622-0-36144400-1354029670_thumb.jpg

So we're complaining about last winter here too? lmaosmiley.gif

Why not? This board even saw its share of complaining the winter before that from some....whether it was Chicago posters lamenting no action after their historic blizzard, or Detroit posters lamenting that their 5th snowiest winter on record came without a 12"+ storm and had a boring (albeit snowcover) December after the Dec 12th storm...winter weenies are never happy :lol:

for the last week or so my weather following is simply logging onto the euro site and checking out the 500 pattern on day 10. Until I start to see something interesting evolving in the longrange euro, I've decided to enjoy the benign weather. Nothing we can do. The extent and impressiveness of the 850 temps on that map describes the warmth, not the cold. I guess one could argue that when/if that cold air does dive south, one hell of a storm will ignite somewhere in the conus.

I'm very skeptical of some of these early winter forecasts calling for a harsh winter. I think it's more likely that last winter will be remembered as the ugly beginning to a stretch of mild winters, than it will be remembered as an anomaly among good winters. I hope I'm choking on crow in a month, (remember this IS the complaint thread).

I dont hope your choking on crow in a month! I mean, you will be eating it, but chew slowly :)

I dont hope your choking on crow in a month! I mean, you will be eating it, but chew slowly smile.png

well thanks...I think

I also found these posts in the long range thread made about 2 weeks ago....

GFS says winter arrives in two weeks with a bit of fluff for a good portion of those east of the Mississippi River.

The GFS has been consistent on this day 10 start to winter... That's a perfect trough.

Looks like the GFS should have been advertising the the arrival of the torch, not winter.

I love this complaint thread....great idea!!! devilsmiley.gif

well thanks...I think

Looks like the GFS should have been advertising the the arrival of the torch, not winter.

Actually, we ARE in a trough with below normal temps though, and pretty much our entire region will be finishing November colder than normal. Its just no one got much snow (which is NEVER predictable in the longterm). CMH is at -2.3F on the month and their snowfall is just 0.1" below normal. We will be seeing mild air to start December, the question is how long will it last and will it be torch or just muted mild air? Right now a lot of mets are saying that the pattern (both cold and stormy) looks more favorable centered around Dec 10th (some say as late as early as Dec 5th, others as late as Dec 15th or later though).

But I actually like this quoting posts bit. I may have to do some of that when the other shoe drops biggrin.png

well thanks...I think

Remember the long range GFS at the end of October? Looked like a November 1950 redux. POS post truncation.

Archived