• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
November 27th - 28th Snow Potential

Ice Warrior commander

Most models seem to be hinting at lingering snows in eastern areas. At the very least it will feel wintry, hopefully we can get some accumulations. Euro will hopefully not stay flat and comes in a bit more juiced to keep future hope alive.

not trying to be DD here at all but we'll have to watch the BL temps as the day progresses. i know that the 850s are cold but the low levels - at least as modeled (and seems to be make sense given climo and marginal antecedent air mass) - warm pretty considerably over the course of the day on Tuesday and into Tuesday Night. By the time we're at 00z Wed freezing levels are nearing 2K feet at FMH...which is way too high.

i think precip could be snow for a while, but some of that lingering stuff might very well be liquid, especially if its not coming down gangbusters.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

not trying to be DD here at all but we'll have to watch the BL temps as the day progresses. i know that the 850s are cold but the low levels - at least as modeled (and seems to be make sense given climo and marginal antecedent air mass) - warm pretty considerably over the course of the day on Tuesday and into Tuesday Night. By the time we're at 00z Wed freezing levels are nearing 2K feet at FMH...which is way too high.

i think precip could be snow for a while, but some of that lingering stuff might very well be liquid, especially if its not coming down gangbusters.

Oh I know...I just figure the first battle to fight is QPF. We could still end up with 1/4" of rain here and that's probably the most likely outcome at this point.

Euro is coming north which is a good sign.

Euro is back to the north - pretty good jump from 0z. Paints the .1" across a lot of southern NE/CT/RI/SE MA. .25 tickles into NJ, over LI and the extreme south coast and parts of Cape Cod.

Euro has been all over the place.

We've got good agreement with Euro/namRgem/Srefs of a nice 1-3 inch swath of snow with a few towns tickling 4. For Nov 27 all anyone can ask for

Pretty good QPF bump north for the south coast. Would seem to favor Grinchy area and the SW RI hills.

Looks like heavy heartbreak here as I watch the random mooshflake mixed in with the rain. Hoping for a little bump in intensity as a last minute Doug Flutie tonight. May be able to get it done for us...but right now looks like rain for me.

We've got good agreement with Euro/namRgem/Srefs of a nice 1-3 inch swath of snow with a few towns tickling 4. For Nov 27 all anyone can ask for

Exactly. LOL I just read the Jan 21 2012 discussion and OBS thread from last year. What an epic super band for LL to Phil. The Debbie's in that thread were hilarious though. Looking forward to a covering of snow to close out our first realy wintry Nov in years.

how are temps? Would think this is mainly a grassy area/colder surfaces type event with light rates and temps above freezing....

Well temps are cold aloft, but you will need good VV to help offset the boundary layer temps.

However, I could see a few reasons that even parts of far SE MA could flip to snow. One being very light winds that eventually go NE. This will help limit the boundary torching. The light winds will allow for melting processes and evaporational cooling to help areas drop to near 32F, IF (big IF) we have the precip rates. 925 temps look like they drop to maybe near -2C at 00z. But again, this is all dependent if the far nrn deformation band can clip the south coast. I definitely would favor areas that have a little elevation just away from the coast.

I would be tickled pink with 0.5", but I am thinking I maybe get a T

I got a T today smile.png

Well you are pretty far north...so am I. The further north you are in this one, the less likely to get much, if any precip.

I'm expecting not much at all...maybe a coating to whiten the ground. Its possible maybe we get an inch if this comes in a touch stronger.

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE STATE COLLEGE PA

1243 PM EST MON NOV 26 2012

PAZ035-036-056>059-063>066-270600-

/O.NEW.KCTP.WW.Y.0017.121127T0500Z-121127T1800Z/

FULTON-FRANKLIN-PERRY-DAUPHIN-SCHUYLKILL-LEBANON-CUMBERLAND-ADAMS-

YORK-LANCASTER-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...MCCONNELLSBURG...CHAMBERSBURG...

NEWPORT...HARRISBURG...HERSHEY...POTTSVILLE...LEBANON...

CARLISLE...GETTYSBURG...YORK...LANCASTER

1243 PM EST MON NOV 26 2012

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT TO

1 PM EST TUESDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN STATE COLLEGE HAS ISSUED A WINTER

WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT

TONIGHT TO 1 PM EST TUESDAY.

* LOCATIONS...SOUTH CENTRAL MOUNTAINS AND LOWER SUSQUEHANNA RIVER

VALLEY.

* HAZARD TYPES...SNOW.

* ACCUMULATIONS...2 TO 4 INCHES...EXCEPT LOCALLY HIGHER AMOUNTS ON

RIDGETOPS.

* TIMING...LIGHT SNOW WILL DEVELOP OVER THE ADVISORY AREA AFTER

MIDNIGHT...AND CONTINUE THROUGH TUESDAY RUSH HOUR BEFORE

TAPERING OFF BY MID TO LATE MORNING.

* IMPACTS...SNOW AND SLUSH COVERED AND SLIPPERY ROADWAYS FROM THE

PRE DAWN HOURS THROUGH THE MORNING COMMUTE AND MID TO LATE

MORNING.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW MEANS THAT PERIODS OF SNOW WILL

CAUSE TRAVEL DIFFICULTIES. BE PREPARED FOR SNOW COVERED ROADS AND

LIMITED VISIBILITIES...AND USE CAUTION WHILE DRIVING. MOTORISTS

SHOULD BE ESPECIALLY CAUTIOUS ON BRIDGES AND OVERPASSES...WHERE

SLIPPERY SPOTS DEVELOP FIRST. STAY TUNED TO NOAA WEATHER RADIO OR

YOUR FAVORITE SOURCE OF WEATHER INFORMATION FOR THE LATEST

UPDATES.

PLEASE REPORT SNOW ACCUMULATIONS TO THE NWS STATE COLLEGE FACEBOOK

PAGE...OR BY USING TWITTER @NWSSTATECOLLEGE. ADDITIONAL DETAILS

CAN ALSO BE FOUND AT...WEATHER.GOV/STATECOLLEGE.

&&

$$

DEVOIR

Not much but better than nothing!

Well again this is for south of pike. For you an inch is more likely

No guidance supports anything like 4" in SNE. Its not impossible we see a bump north to get heavier QPF into SNE, but saying there is currently good model consensus for 1-3" with some spot 4" is incorrect.

Good input from the mets, thanks.

I'm pretty confident I see .2" or so of QPF I just don't know about temps. I'd lean heavily rain pending later guidance.

fwiw i think you'll / we'll get some snow out of it, i just don't think it will be all frozen. i wouldn't be surprised if FMH manages a coating or something.

fwiw i think you'll / we'll get some snow out of it, i just don't think it will be all frozen. i wouldn't be surprised if FMH manages a coating or something.

Beats a sharp stick in the eye and may be our only shot at snow between now and XMas I fear. I'm hoping for a coating, an inch or two I think is a possibility if we saw the models continue north another 20-30 miles.

Not to be that guy but what did the models have 24h leadtime on our first Nov. snow? Didn't it look worse than this?

No. That event ended up over performing by a lot...but models did have advisory snows across the elevated interior. It was also a coastal system that had a pretty well defined CCB already...the models just didn't do a greta job at handling it as it was going into occlusion.

This setup is putrid compared to that...but if we can amplify it just a touch, then there could be a chance for a 2-4 hour band of snow that comes down better than 2 SM SN-.

Archived