• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Help wanted: National Weather Service seeks financial chief to institute “employee reductions”

Cory

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

People in these workforce area's across the Science board whether they are affiliated some how or not but our paid for by the US Govt. Need to form some sort of group or union. Then bring these things to the public where millions of people would support the funding of Science threw govt.

Never forget the citizens of the United States in one way or another fund the United States. American's pay for the NWS not politicians.

Believe me a majority of American's are grateful for it and would support it.

They just don't number crunch.

Scientists are a crafty highly intelligent bunch. So when budget cuts come they improve with less and society knows no different.

it's nice that human innovation and technology advancement can supplement man power and money loss, but it's going to slow our Science down if it doesn't stop.

People in these workforce area's across the Science board whether they are affiliated some how or not but our paid for by the US Govt. Need to form some sort of group or union. Then bring these things to the public where millions of people would support the funding of Science threw govt.

Never forget the citizens of the United States in one way or another fund the United States. American's pay for the NWS not politicians.

Believe me a majority of American's are grateful for it and would support it.

They just don't number crunch.

Ugghhh. Please, please, please proofread your posts before sending them. This is unreadable.

Use commas. Only use apostrophes for possession and contraction. Don't capitalize words for no reason. And choose the right homophone.

Ugghhh. Please, please, please proofread your posts before sending them. This is unreadable.

Use commas. Only use apostrophes for possession and contraction. Don't capitalize words for no reason. And choose the right homophone.

I usually feel it's rude to correct other folks' grammar online, but I'm with you on this one. I read that post and had the same reaction: the technical abuses were so bad, I couldn't figure out what he was even saying. It goes beyond nitpicking. If the grammar is so bad that the reader can't even catch the gist, a scolding is in order.

Back on topic... It really bugs me the way the NWS-- which is so top-notch and brings such tremendous value-- is nickel-and-dimed for what in the end amounts to paltry savings in the grand scheme.

If we really want to get serious about the budget deficit, we can start with our astronomical, off-the-charts defense spending. Or maybe we can stop giving billions of dollars to war-crazed nations in the Middle East and South Asia who don't do as we ask anyway.

From the Op article:

UPDATE, Saturday, 11 a.m.: The National Weather Service denies it plans to reduce its workforce and has issued the following statement:

“The NWS Chief Financial Officer (CFO) vacancy announcement includes standard CFO job skills and duties, and uses the same template language used when the National Weather Service last hired for the position in 1998. This boilerplate language should not be interpreted as any kind of foreshadowing of the future of the NWS workforce. NWS employees prove their immense value to the nation time and time again without fail, as seen recently during Hurricane Sandy. This erroneous speculation is baseless and undermines the morale of the NWS highly valued and dedicated workforce.”

I would hate to say it as I know numerous gov workers post here.

I agree that you don't need 6+ NWS stations per state.

Maybe 4 at most. a NW, NE, SW & SE office.

I know the reasons to keep people etc.

But I do feel you can consolidate people into an office and cut the workforce by 5-10 % and get the same results.

Br,

darkstar

But I do feel you can consolidate people into an office and cut the workforce by 5-10 % and get the same results.

Br,

darkstar

Cool story.

Tell me how you know that would work.

Br,

darkstar

Agree with who or what?

Last time the NWS tried to institute personel cuts by eliminating Southern Region Headquarters there were serious repercussions. The proposed cuts were not popular with a certain Texas Senator. That displeasure was at least partly responsible for Joe Friday being forced to resign. I wouldn't want the CFO job as it will be a political hot potato. Congress doesn't want to fund needed infrastructure but they also don't want any cuts in their districts. Therefore, NOAA gets cut and the NWS ends up taking cuts out of hide. For example, delaying purchases to computing systems, delaying filling in behind people who leave. At least that seems to be the standard that I remember during my career. Being in power when cuts are made is a dangerous time for the CFO and other high level personnel within the NWS (at least that's my opinion). the Air Force and the Canadian Weather Service have both in the past made big cuts that I think hurt both organizations. I know from talking to a friend who has been very productive in his career that the austerity measures have already hurt morale in some cases.

Br,

darkstar

Don't agree. Not even a little bit. And, yes, I am a federal government executive. If a discussion regarding a service provider or public safety agency centers on consolidation and cost savings, then it is fundamentally flawed from the beginning. The only worthwhile discussion start point for these types of agencies is to analyze the value they provide and Determine how they currently meet the safety or service objectives of the administration and the citizens it serves. All discussion regarding staffing and budget should then trickle down from there with a keen eye on enabling technologies and optimized business processes in the near and long term.

Does NWS have popular support in both parties, like say, Midwestern agriculture? Is there a company like Archer-Daniels-Midland that donates heavily to both parties that makes money off weather?

The military is shrinking to its smallest percentage of GDP, ever, Federal spending as a percentage of GDP is at its biggest, but services that actually promote the general welfare and protect life will be cut. Its the way in Washington.

Br,

darkstar

You are wrong here in my opinion. NWS's job is provide hazard weather warnings to protect life and property. NWS NEEDs to work closely with local emergency management

and other LOCAL public safety agencies in their forecast areas. It is hard enough as it is with the current county warning area size to foster and build long term

relationships which are critical before major storms and disasters. Trust and confidence in NWS forecasts and warnings and understanding local customers

needs is critical to success. I shutter to think if they made NWS service areas any bigger. This is often the forgotten part of the NWS and is not discussed much and

it is so important to NWS's success. Could NWS have less offices doing routine forecasts? maybe. But the quality would suffer. But maybe as a nation we can't afford it?

I would say not...but I am biased here. But I know NWS needs to be close to as many communities as possible to be successful in the provision of decision support services

before and during major storms...like Sandy, Katria, high risk days, monster snowstorms etc. Also where do you get 6 offices per state? NY for example has 4 and PA has 3.

These are populous states too. Texas may have many more...but TX is huge!

Br,

darkstar

Sounds like you have all the answers.

I love people here who just think they know everything about the NWS, what they do, and how they operate. If your not an NWS met I would stay away from speculating on how operations work and should work. These are some of the most dedicated folks out there and they work there butts off in an already short staffed environment as well as in a time when decision support is becoming more popular which means working more closely with LOCAL officials and forming relationships that help save money, lives, and property. They also provide aviation services, which many of you non mets have no clue what is even entailed at an NWS office.

I love people here who just think they know everything about the NWS, what they do, and how they operate. If your not an NWS met I would stay away from speculating on how operations work and should work. These are some of the most dedicated folks out there and they work there butts off in an already short staffed environment as well as in a time when decision support is becoming more popular which means working more closely with LOCAL officials and forming relationships that help save money, lives, and property. They also provide aviation services, which many of you non mets have no clue what is even entailed at an NWS office.

amen brother!

Couldn't agree more. clap.gif

You are wrong here in my opinion. NWS's job is provide hazard weather warnings to protect life and property. NWS NEEDs to work closely with local emergency management and other LOCAL public safety agencies in their forecast areas. It is hard enough as it is with the current county warning area size to foster and build long term relationships which are critical before major storms and disasters. Trust and confidence in NWS forecasts and warnings and understanding local customers needs is critical to success. I shutter to think if they made NWS service areas any bigger. This is often the forgotten part of the NWS and is not discussed much and it is so important to NWS's success. Could NWS have less offices doing routine forecasts? maybe. But the quality would suffer. But maybe as a nation we can't afford it? I would say not...but I am biased here. But I know NWS needs to be close to as many communities as possible to be successful in the provision of decision support services before and during major storms...like Sandy, Katria, high risk days, monster snowstorms etc. Also where do you get 6 offices per state? NY for example has 4 and PA has 3. These are populous states too. Texas may have many more...but TX is huge!

The only state that I can think of other than Texas is Pennsylvania with 5: CLE, PBZ, CTP, BGM, PHI

Yeah, not to mention coop, hydro, marine, fire, case studies, local research, university collaboration, svr wx, winter wx, media support, hazard/event decision support, and community outreach.

But nope, the public forecast is all we do.

Archived