christians
    Newest Member
    christians
Approaching Thanksgiving and the Rest of November

moneypitmike

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I call it the JMA Effect. After every epic winter storm, people always say "The JMA nailed it!!!"...well of course it did, because it shows an epic storm all the time, so every time one actually happens, it "nails" it. Its just that it has about 25 busts in the meantime.

lol...myself and a NWS met were talking about this very principle today. The NWS refers to it as the Accuweather Effect, I think haha. Always hyping the big storms with massive destruction, and they just happened to get one with Sandy.

lol...myself and a NWS met were talking about this very principle today. The NWS refers to it as the Accuweather Effect, I think haha. Always hyping the big storms with massive destruction, and they just happened to get one with Sandy.

It does nothing but hurt the met community when things are hyped. You hear that all the time from the public...."oh they are just hyping it up..."

No, we are not hyping it up. In this day and age when the community is trying to get warnings across to people in a non hyped manner to save lives, it ain't helping when people like Bastardi hype things up so that people don't believe it when it truly happens.

It does nothing but hurt the met community when things are hyped. You hear that all the time from the public...."oh they are just hyping it up..."

No, we are not hyping it up. In this day and age when the community is trying to get warnings across to people in a non hyped manner to save lives, it ain't helping when people like Bastardi hype things up so that people don't believe it when it truly happens.

Yeah it sucks for everyone else who is actually trying to help the public with forecasts rather than drive hype that every short wave is the next superstorm.

It sucks when people say that Accuweather called it first and the NWS was too cautious or something because you know the folks at NWS aren't just trying to get hits on their website, so they will view big storms with a little skepticism...while Accuweather is on MSNBC or Fox News discussing how they beat the govt agency with a 7 day lead time on the storm or something like that. No one in their right mind should be forecasting historic storms so far in advance.

It's like the ball player who swings for the fences every at bat, leads the league in strikeouts, but every once in a while he'll make contact and the ball leaves the yard.

Yeah it sucks for everyone else who is actually trying to help the public with forecasts rather than drive hype that every short wave is the next superstorm.

It sucks when people say that Accuweather called it first and the NWS was too cautious or something because you know the folks at NWS aren't just trying to get hits on their website, so they will view big storms with a little skepticism...while Accuweather is on MSNBC or Fox News discussing how they beat the govt agency with a 7 day lead time on the storm or something like that. No one in their right mind should be forecasting historic storms so far in advance.

It's like the ball player who swings for the fences every at bat, leads the league in strikeouts, but every once in a while he'll make contact and the ball leaves the yard.

That's because the NWS job is to protect life and property, not cause chaos.

Not being a Met community member but a EM member I could not agree more. One thing I will say NHC did not help with the downgrade of Sandy to ET .thank god for local offices, TWC, local on airs and even the hypesters. If any situation in my memory for the NE called for hype this was it. I still want to know who advised Mayor Bloomberg. One thing I think should be introduced to the American Public is IKE surge potential.

Not being a Met community member but a EM member I could not agree more. One thing I will say NHC did not help with the downgrade of Sandy to ET .thank god for local offices, TWC, local on airs and even the hypesters. If any situation in my memory for the NE called for hype this was it. I still want to know who advised Mayor Bloomberg. One thing I think should be introduced to the American Public is IKE surge potential.

This is a problem with the general public. They hear that a storm is named or is tropical....all of the sudden the sky is falling. The general public does not understand that we have many non tropical storms that are worse than a CAT 1.

This is a problem with the general public. They hear that a storm is named or is tropical....all of the sudden the sky is falling. The general public does not understand that we have many non tropical storms that are worse than a CAT 1.

I do think some of the national folks (esp TWC) tried to emphazise this with Sandy, but many ignored that.

All EMs understand that, which makes the NHC decision even more baffling. Only people looking for textbook definitions will not agree the nonissuance of hurricane warnings lulled some folks. Heard it time and time again from media reports from interviews in worst hit areas. Does that make the GP stupid. No I just think from kindergarten on Met education emphasized ratings and Hurricane warnings.

Part of the reason mets are good with geography was because they had to know exactly where they were located, when the on air mets through up the snowfall maps.

So true! When my daughter was in 5th grade, at back to school night her social studies teacher asked if anyone could draw a US Mao without looking. Took me 10 seconds and was the hands down kost accurate.

So true! When my daughter was in 5th grade, at back to school night her social studies teacher asked if anyone could draw a US Mao without looking. Took me 10 seconds and was the hands down kost accurate.

LOL I had a map fetish when I was a kid. I wanted to know exactly where certain locations were when it came to snow totals.

I could not tell you what the hell Shakespeare was talking about but I could tell you exactly where International Falls was and where Coastal front were most likely to set up by county.

LOL I had an affinity for maps/geography too. In elementary school, I'd watch TWC on loop for hours poring over regional maps of the US. My parents were concerned. Well, now I'm in law school...

I could not tell you what the hell Shakespeare was talking about but I could tell you exactly where International Falls was and where coastal fronts were most likely to set up by county.

This.

I wish I had more geography...I loved it...but I had to take 3 years of history and then economics in HS instead. I'm still amazed when people from MA and NH can't identify cities like Albany, Buffalo, Burlington, and Portland on a map. On our first met test less then half the class could identify where the midwest was. Just incredible to me.

This.

I wish I had more geography...I loved it...but I had to take 3 years of history and then economics in HS instead. I'm still amazed when people from MA and NH can't identify cities like Albany, Buffalo, Burlington, and Portland on a map. On our first met test less then half the class could identify where the midwest was. Just incredible to me.

When I was in high school there were kids who didn't know the capital of CT, how many counties CT had, or what county we even lived in.

One of my best friends about 2 months ago thought West Virginia was near the SW coast...granted he was drunk but Jesus.

You can't be surprised by what public schools do. CT has a Constitution day. All public schools are supposed to teach the Constitution that day. Nevermind that there may be a unit in US History that spends a couple weeks on the Constitution that is actually worthwhile, that one day has been mandated by lawmakers afraid to vote against Constitution day. And since Geography is not part of the standardized tests that determine a public schools progress, nobody has a real investment in worrying about what is taught in Geography class. Don't get me started.

You can't be surprised by what public schools do. CT has a Constitution day. All public schools are supposed to teach the Constitution that day. Nevermind that there may be a unit in US History that spends a couple weeks on the Constitution that is actually worthwhile, that one day has been mandated by lawmakers afraid to vote against Constitution day. And since Geography is not part of the standardized tests that determine a public schools progress, nobody has a real investment in worrying about what is taught in Geography class. Don't get me started.

100% true and 100% ridiculous. I had 2 years of just US History in HS. TWO YEARS. Maybe just one half of one of those years could be used to teach people where NJ is?......axesmiley.png

Archived