e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Approaching Thanksgiving and the Rest of November

moneypitmike

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When you look at the previous list, how often would you have 4 December's in a row like that. Not very often...lol.

Yeah definitely not very common. The only other time on record BOS has had 4 consecutive double digit snowfall Decembers is 1901-1904, and the totals were way less impressive than the 2007-2010 streak.

It's actually been on fire in the last year. Nailing Snowtober, Morch 2012, Sandy and 11/7.

As long as we forget about all the busted heat waves that hit the M.A. and only fringed SNE in the summer and the multiple lines of severe wx that never materialized, he has been perfect all year.

That's why you're here to lay down the compensating caution flags. smile.png

Those are usually because I know how the cycle goes. Weenies get excited for a pattern change that always gets pushed back. But, when mutliple models agree something is in the cards, then that is usually a time to take it more seriously. Next step would be to get this inside 10 days.

Those are usually because I know how the cycle goes. Weenies get excited for a pattern change that always gets pushed back. But, when mutliple models agree something is in the cards, then that is usually a time to take it more seriously. Next step would be to get this inside 10 days.

Yeah and the Miller A forecasted on the 10+ day that never comes...

As long as we forget about all the busted heat waves that hit the M.A. and only fringed SNE in the summer and the multiple lines of severe wx that never materialized, he has been perfect all year.

Well, I didn't know about all that. But you have to give him some credit for taking a definitive stance and sticking to it, even if there is no meteorology behind it.

LOL, funny how that works. Nobody ever remembers the busts, just the two wild predictions that come true.

I call it the JMA Effect. After every epic winter storm, people always say "The JMA nailed it!!!"...well of course it did, because it shows an epic storm all the time, so every time one actually happens, it "nails" it. Its just that it has about 25 busts in the meantime.

GEFS is actually agreeing with it pretty closely too...so that is probably a good sign. That combined with the weeklies is probably some more cause for optimism heading into early December. Verbatim the ensembles say we could have fun at the end of November but often these shifts in pattern are rushed a bit.

The statement is certainly correct in principle as we note love and hate in the art the model(s) war against the weather ...

But, as I was saying ...to that other Met the other day, I don't think we've seen a "pattern change" per se. I don't think the pattern has really changed since Sandy for that matter - it's merely relaxed. We are waiting on a reload in my very best estimation, and when that is the case, whole regions can wake up and smell coffee with a jolt back in a good bit of rapidity.

The reason I say that is because the EPO has only labored to neutral, and probably stays there only for a couple of days and falls - that's probably why these ridge signals are showing up now in the area. Meanwhile, way across the Pac, the -WPO is raging ...ceaselessly with no end in site. That's continuously transmitting the AB NP phase downstream and has been the whole while. These teleconnectors have a transitive correlation with -NAO (when lag is applied), and since they haven't really gone away, it argues that the baseline characteristic of the flow really hasn't changed much. Albeit merely less amplified, perhaps giving the illusion of one.

In smaller words, it can flip around cold and stormy in a hurry - I don't see a big huge temporal wind up required in this.

Thanks for the input.

Yeah, I wanted to give this to you earlier but ...heh, at work I probably shouldn't be lingering on the web too much tongue.png

CPC has great tabular data going back decades: http://www.cpc.ncep....v/data/indices/

You should check it out and then edifice your self with papers that show how/why the correlation exists.

This URL provides a reasonably good primer: http://www.ugamp.ner...hot/ajh/qbo.htm

(Note: 4) Major winter stratospheric warmings preferentially occur during the easterly phase of the QBO, Holton and Tan (1980).) In short, the warming stratospheric altitudes of the internal domain of the PV limits the vertical mixing depths at high latitudes. Therefore, storm system's terminating WAA into mid and upper levels traps this air and you get mid and upper tropospheric blocks (ridges) that form. This causes the flow to become less zonal, and meridional in nature. The cold arrives, often increased cyclone frequencies along favored areas, as well.

My personal winter outlook features a warm burster in around the first of the year. The AO can be negative prior to this occurring, it just that once any SSW takes place, you can add a huge probability for -AO to take place. Also, note, the SSW has to be a downward welling propagator.

toronto blizzard is the clear WOTY winner, should not even be a question this year. I mean its almost like he has a programmed post for Scott at the same time every day, asking about if the EC ensembles and weeklies look better.

I thought trapperman had that locked down with nails in the coffin, tbh.

Archived