• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter Thread

powderfreak

5.9 f with about 3 new inches of snow as I left this morning. i should find my gloves if this winter thing is going to be happening. Trying to remember where everything is packed and shoved away is one of the downsides to redoing some of our floors.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think we had elements of three types of forcing to help maximize this event. You had the WAA ahead of the wave aloft that would have generated some light mood snows regardless. Then you had the WINDEX like enhancement along the Arctic boundary. Finally, you had the upslope component that lingered well after Arctic fropa.

I have to say the local WRFs, although a bit bullish on QPF, were definitely the closest to reality in the end. I think if I had taken our local WRF QPF verbatim two days ago, it would have given me around a foot of snow on the rock pile. Not bad for the far end of its forecast range.

Local WRF's, the RPM, and hi-res NAM had a solid 2-4" despite elevation changes. Not bad.

7-Faceshots at stowe. That's my report. Blower. almost 4k of skinning later, I'm at work and can't wipe the smile off my face. This thing was looking JUICY last night as it tapped some lake moisture. Performed stellar!

Stoked.

Stoked indeed – I measured 18” natural snow depth at the Liftline/National junction at ~2,800’ this morning. I’m not sure how much of that was specifically from this event, but Stowe’s snow report has 7-11” new, so somewhere in there. On top of all the previous snow, there’s more than enough for even steep natural terrain – turns down National were simply bottomless and glorious this morning. The resort is going to have to be on poach patrol during operating hours because people are going to be very tempted to ski alternative terrain. I looked up some of the Vermont ski area snow totals from this morning, the north to south list shows the snowfall trends clearly:

Jay Peak: 12”

Burke: 8”

Smuggler’s Notch: 12”

Stowe: 11”

Bolton Valley: 9”

Mad River Glen: 6”

Sugarbush: 6”

Pico: 1”

Killington: 1”

Okemo: T

Stratton: 0”

Mount Snow: 0”

A quick shot from this morning:

30NOV12A.jpg

Stoked indeed – I measured 18” natural snow depth at the Liftline/National junction at ~2,800’ this morning. I’m not sure how much of that was specifically from this event, but Stowe’s snow report has 7-11” new, so somewhere in there. On top of all the previous snow, there’s more than enough for even steep natural terrain – turns down National were simply bottomless and glorious this morning. The resort is going to have to be on poach patrol during operating hours because people are going to be very tempted to ski alternative terrain. I looked up some of the Vermont ski area snow totals from this morning, the north to south list shows the snowfall trends clearly:

Jay Peak: 12”

Burke: 8”

Smuggler’s Notch: 12”

Stowe: 11”

Bolton Valley: 9”

Mad River Glen: 6”

Sugarbush: 6”

Pico: 1”

Killington: 1”

Okemo: T

Stratton: 0”

Mount Snow: 0”

I knew I had 7.2" at the base this morning and groomers reported anywhere from 10-14" at the summit. Since I like to lean conservatively, I called it 7-11" but think that's correct as an upper bound (don't have my upper elevation snow plot set up yet off the Gondola). Probably could have said 12" but honestly I'd rather be low than high....it really bugs me when ski areas over-report, so I don't like to get too carried away.

13" past 48 hours and 21" in the last 7 days would make sense as to why J.Spin is finding 18" settled natural snow depth.

I've got some great photos from this morning, will post in a bit.

I knew I had 7.2" at the base this morning and groomers reported anywhere from 10-14" at the summit. Since I like to lean conservatively, I called it 7-11" but think that's correct as an upper bound (don't have my upper elevation snow plot set up yet off the Gondola). Probably could have said 12" but honestly I'd rather be low than high....it really bugs me when ski areas over-report, so I don't like to get too carried away.

13" past 48 hours and 21" in the last 7 days would make sense as to why J.Spin is finding 18" settled natural snow depth.

I've got some great photos from this morning, will post in a bit.

You don't say

:lol:

Keep the pics comin' - brown ground in my 'hood, but I'll be in the mountains tomorrow.

Man today's cold has been impressive.... so far since midnight, at Morrisville-Stowe Airport (MVL) the max has been 19F (that was at midnight, the daytime high is 17F) and the minimum was 1F this morning. We almost had our first sub-zero morning but alas couldn't quite make it.

Today's high/low:

19/1

Average:

38/21

The midnight high temp was already below our average low...and the afternoon high temp was 4F below the normal low. Pretty impressive cold.

Some damn cold temps this AM...

SLK -4

HIE -1

BML 0

Yeah we made it to +1F this morning at MVL.

I had 3F when I left my house at 5am (I honestly thought the car thermometer was wrong, then I looked up the MVL obs and they were identical), and judging by MVL, it dropped another couple degrees prior to sunrise.

Bunch of sub-zero stuff just NE of here. The cool thing is you can just about tell the areas that got sufficient new snow (say 3"+) prior to the clearing...the color contours of the coldest temps mirror the spots that got the best snow yesterday.

Archived