• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Media turning GFS/ECMWF Sandy forecasts into a competition

Cory

Haha...gotta give Cliff Mass credit for keeping the fire burning! Hey, he could run for Senator someday. I somehow doubt 99.99% of the public cares it took the GFS a few runs to latch onto the ECMWF soln 5 days out.

The next time the ECMWF fails to predict counter to the GFS, I'm holding a press conference.

The Euro did kinda make the GFS it's b**ch.

That being said, this event was so anomalous, it's not really a great measuring stick for how good a model is.

Umm yes it is! The more anomalous an event the more likely for some models to underperform while others measure up. GFS has a history of poor verification scores vs EC and even the UK on a daily basis.

Pure wishcasting from 240 hour Euro, Hurricane Sandy gets captured by the polar trough, and produced multi-day Halloween Storm Part Deux for the SNE subforum that people will make movies about.

Much better than yesterday's 12Z moderate tropical storm for Florida.

So much better.

I hope I'm not 5 posted for a month for this...

ETA
Just checked SNE subforum banter thread, and I'm not the only person in Weenie Wonderland

240 hour Euro was suggesting the phasing...

PerfectStormDeux.gif

U.S. forecast's late arrival stirs weather tempest

"A European forecast that closely predicted Hurricane Sandy's onslaught days ahead of U.S. and other models is raising complaints in the meteorological community."

http://www.usatoday....models/1668867/

There have been a couple of other stories on this from other outlets as well.

The European model is widely seen as the best at predicting hurricanes, Mass and others say, as demonstrated with Hurricane Isaac in late August.

...as well as just about every other major meterological event that's occurred in our region in the past few years. Anybody that's spent any time on here knows that the Euro is the rock on which all models eventually crash themselves on to (usually). I guess it could be interesting for this to go mainstream though, as i've read for years as mets (and everyday weather enthusiasts such as myself) have complained that OUR models just don't compare with the Euro when it comes to sniffing out a solution, nor the accuracy at which those solutions typically unfold.

Maybe this will lead to major upgrades to the current models? Although I think I rather prefer to see maybe more funding or grants and whatnot allotted for individuals and the private sector to maybe make an effort to build a better mousetrap (metaphorically)?

A lot of mets don't even understand statistical scores from what I can gather. There was a lot of GFS bashing over the last week on Twitter from tv mets etc. I see rando pubilc being angry that the Europeans have a better model in the last few days. Just what we need is more bad information swirling around. Euro superior--sure.. but the GFS is pretty damn good.

Kerry Emanuel writing about it makes it a big deal. His words give significant weight to ideas that everyone has been thinking about or quietly discussing for a long time. With everyone talking about the great forecast for Sandy and how it saved countless lives and millions if not billions of dollars, it is an opportune time to bring up the topic.

For day to day weather, the difference between the ECMWF and GFS doesn't really matter that much. Nobody's going to lose their life or have property damaged if the high tomorrow is 72 or 75. Both models can accurately predict if it is going to rain in 3 days--and of course there are counter-examples, the ECMWF is not always right. But for an event like Sandy with so much at stake, the fact that the ECMWF had the right track several days ahead of GFS is not good for the GFS. I doubt anything will change in the near future, but it is good to have this out in the open now.

A lot of mets don't even understand statistical scores from what I can gather. There was a lot of GFS bashing over the last week on Twitter from tv mets etc. I see rando pubilc being angry that the Europeans have a better model in the last few days. Just what we need is more bad information swirling around. Euro superior--sure.. but the GFS is pretty damn good.

That, and the "off-run" myth just refuses to die amongst hobbyists and meteorologists alike. Statistical scores be damned. I give up.

Haha...gotta give Cliff Mass credit for keeping the fire burning! Hey, he could run for Senator someday. I somehow doubt 99.99% of the public cares it took the GFS a few runs to latch onto the ECMWF soln 5 days out.

The next time the ECMWF fails to predict counter to the GFS, I'm holding a press conference.

The euro was first but the gfs also was pretty doggone early forecasting the storm giving plenty of lead time. lol at Mass. He's a smart guy who is like hyperbole and being critical of the NWS. He ought to save it for when the models really bust.

Each model has its strengths and its biases. Simplistic Euro vs. GFS comparisons on a single storm do not accurately convey the value-added. If Maas were committed to improvements in forecasting high-impact events, not what seems to be an unending crusade against NCEP and the U.S. models, he would do well to recall that it was the GFS that first indicated that the Boxing Day blizzard was going to bring a substantial snowfall to portions of the East Coast. His analysis would cover a representative sample of high-impact events.

Clearly, on this event, the Euro did better. However, its edge is not so decisive that one can ignore all the U.S. guidance. Doing so would lead, overall, to inferior forecasts. That decline in forecast quality would, in turn, increase risks to public safety, among other issues.

Funny how people are praising the Euro, but have we forgotten Debbie? Does nobody care about this because Debbie didn't have the impact? The euro is a good model, but it has flaws like every model. It's also wise to use ensembles guidance beyond 5 or 6 days out, not necessarily deterministic guidance. I hope Sandy doesn't cause people to just focus on the op runs.

some good points in this thread, the gfs was for lack of a better word owned by the euro in the storm as stated earlier, but every model isnt perfect and during the winter were gonna see the gfs sometimes verify better than the euro. there really isnt a huge disparity between the two in verification scores or the gfs just wouldnt be used or very heavily overhauled. in the end though if i were to put stock in a forecast i would use the euro but the gfs wouldnt be too far behind.

Funny how people are praising the Euro, but have we forgotten Debbie? Does nobody care about this because Debbie didn't have the impact? The euro is a good model, but it has flaws like every model. It's also wise to use ensembles guidance beyond 5 or 6 days out, not necessarily deterministic guidance. I hope Sandy doesn't cause people to just focus on the op runs.

I would definitely agree with the bolded and also argue that, in the case of Sandy, the ECMWF ensembles (which actually performed better in regard to the tropics than the operational did all year) as well as the operational latched on to the track much earlier because the pattern was much more amplified and the wavelengths more frequent than they were most of the hurricane season. Excluding its coup on Sandy, the ECMWF clearly lost the medium-range battle to the GFS in nearly every other case this hurricane season. Given the increasingly sophisticated upgrades to the MAVS and other areas of the background modeling, the GFS should continue to improve its medium-range forecasting in situations that the ECMWF might have conceivably reigned supreme just a few years ago.

No one is going to trust a 7 day forecast for any meaningful decision anyway. It just doesn't make sense to compare the strength of models to predict in the medium range unless we're actually going to put the medium range to work making meaningful decisions and in that case neither model is going to make the grade. The NHC forecast on Sandy 5 days out was fantastic and that is the bottom line.

The ECMWF has been a statistically superior model for over 15 years, hasn't it? I remember when the ECMWF gave more accurate output in the 1990s and the NMC (today's HPC) didn't even mention it's existence. Better late than never, I suppose.

I enjoy reading about the ECMWF superiority in the mainstream media. However, as is typical the journalism has been lacking. ECMWF is a intergovernmental organization who's only mission is the production of medium range/global (and now seasonal) numerical model output. They are not responsible for the diversity of products and services provided by the NWS and NCEP.

If 100% of the NCEP budget was theoretically dedicated to only medium range numerical output, I would think they could produce a superior model to the ECMWF. However, with a finite budget and a diverse array of products and responsibilities I don't think it is possible to seriously compete with ECMWF. Since NCEP and ECMWF have different goals I'm not sure a comparison is fair.

Archived