• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Election week coastal storm threat

Midlo Snow Maker

Cool shot, thanks. Question, so basically we need the vort and that thing diving down from the mid-west to phase and deepen south enough, correct?

I asked the same question yesterday evening and CoastalWx had a really good answer:

That's a tough question. I think for the DC area, you probably want to cheer on a stronger initial s/w. The reason is because it's possible the energy in the Midwest will remain separate enough to prevent phasing and bring the low further west. Now some of this energy is in Canada and it's possible that the energy may dive into the backside trough enough to carve it out further and pull the low further NW...but I think the easier thing to do atmospherically, is to have the initial srn s/w stronger.

The energy as progged today is coming around the backside stronger and cutting off more than yesterday. The result is that the backside s/w sort of gives the initial s/w the boot east.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You just have to cheer on nowcasting really.

Pretty much. It all comes down to the 850 low getting its act together as quickly as possible. We really need it to get cranking and having a nice shield develop on the nw side. Obviously some banding will be required to get anything to stick.

If I had to guess the deform band will be a little more robust than what the nam is showing but will it be enough? I would hedge on the probably not side of the equation.

This pretty much sums up how the 18z nam thinks it's going to go down tomorrow:

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/NCOMAGWEB/appcontroller?prevPage=Param&MainPage=indexℑ=&page=Param&cycle=11%2F06%2F2012+18UTC&rname=SFC-LAYER+PARMS&pname=sim_radar&pdesc=&model=NAM&area=NAMER&cat=MODEL+GUIDANCE&fcast=2+Day+Loop&areaDesc=North+America+-+US+Canada+and+northern+Mexico&prevArea=NAMER&currKey=model&returnToModel=&imageSize=M

Northern NJ seems to get the enhanced precip on the NW side.

Again, we really need to collectively wish that the 850 get fired up early and rotates in quicker than what the nam is showing.

http://mag.ncep.noaa...el=&imageSize=M

Again, we really need to collectively wish that the 850 get fired up early and rotates in quicker than what the nam is showing.

Comparing the first frame of that loop and the current radar, it looks as if the precip field depicted (SC/ GA border) is much further south than the current radar (NC). I am not sure if that means the model is projecting a flare up south of the current precip field or if it is just using data from hours earlier. I would assume that the first frame of the Simulated Radar would be almost identical to the current radar at the time of the model run.

http://mag.ncep.noaa...el=&imageSize=M

Wow, eastern PA get's absolutely pounded. snowing3.gif Gonna be interesting to watch that dry slot feature which moves into New Jersey, that could definitely be a big factor in QPF totals.

18Z GFS ENS were a bit west if it matter, maybe. .25" into DC, .5" near baltimore.

18zgfsensemblep24036.gif

At this time range don't post a coarse resolution ensemble mean as it is going to smear the precip on each member. Use the sref as it has higher resolution than the gefs but even then at this time range, I'd start using the high resolution models as my ensembles.

Archived