Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Sandy Obs

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am up at school currently in Ithaca, NY but my folks back in Linglestown are reporting an increasing frequency in the power flickering. And the neighbor's tree just fell in half. What do you estimate the winds to be?

These here gotta be 55-60. Sustained has picked up greatly, power out to tons now (but not us yet ...).

Can confirm Easterns posts about the wind in Shippensburg....at times will look at and the trees are barely moving. Every now and then a nice gust does kick up and it's short lived. I'm alright with that though considering I just talked with my parents who live out along the North Mountain near the Newville/Doubling Gap area. They have alot of open fields along the mountain with nothing to really slow down the wind and my dad said his flag pole is bent and the flag shredded, the wind is lifting his chevy malibu 2 or 3 inches off the ground at times and there is a very very old maple there that is about to go down. They just tied it up with chain to a telephone pole to attempt to keep it from falling into the farm house. Scary stuff.

These here gotta be 55-60. Sustained has picked up greatly, power out to tons now (but not us yet ...).

Agree on that number here in Manheim. Had a couple of real intense gusts within the past few minutes. Sucks it is dark now so if anything falls, will not see it until AM. Power has flickered several times but still on.

Forgot to mention, Weather World had us in a wind lull later this evening as the center goes pretty much overhead. Other forecasts had it a bit south. We shall see.

We just got the strongest wind of the day, 45-50.

Its been quite constant here (20-30 sustained), like it might not be blowing really hard right at the house at times but that roar in the distance has not went away for the last several hours. 45-50 has generally been where our gusts have been peaking but that one that came through and took the tree out was probably over 60. After that went thru neighbors were outside retarping the part of the roof that the roofers for whatever reason didn't finish Saturday. That's just here, I can assure theres a few spots around here more exposed that have to be just getting strafed by these winds.

well, just before 7pm I'm having sustained winds of over 30mph with gusts to over 50mph. The roar is almost deafening outside as it whips through the bare tree forest that is just behind my backyard. Still hoping to keep power...we'll see. Also noted the latest NWS updates drop the most intense sustained winds around midnight even though the low doesnt reach us until tomorrow morning. Guess that's due to rapid storm weakening??

Just had the loudest roar of all come through.....suspect close to 60mph gust.....unbelievable!!

Archived