Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Sandy Obs

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Home in Port Matilda now - when will they hit us?

I think we've already reached that point, it's something watching the base velocity just continue to increase over us. Velocties over our head our now up around 50kts. Some spikes up to 60 knots in northern Huntingdon showing. This is only in the first couple thousand feet above us. It has to be howling up on top of Skytop and Tussey.

Winds haven't been over 15mph here for a long time. Has to be some kind of mountain influence. Mag?

I'm not really sure what would be the issue there, It could be a mountain thing, or maybe your in a sheltered spot on campus. I'm not familiar with the layout down there. That's kinda weird though.

Keep in mind winds are supposed to increase well into the night. Those complaining about low wind speed need to learn some patience, or need to pay better attention to NWS forecast products. Every single one I have read (for CPA) has said increasing winds this afternoon, with the heaviest winds overnight.

Additionally, you'll never see maximum winds if there is any type of windblock around. I have several houses and large trees blocking wind IMBY. It's not uncommon to have 65 mph gusts at KLNS (less than a mile away), and only have 20 mph gusts IMBY.

How the hell do you guys not have these gusts? They're with regularity now, one about 2 minutes ago moved a fairly large potted plant of my neighbor's into the next yard down.

Significant wind blocks have kept me sheltered. Max gust IMBY has been 18 mph. However, KLNS's high gust today is 38 mph.

However, overall wind trend is increasing, as forecast, per PWS trend graphs.

Jmister could it just be a mixing problem?? I know it's there aloft but that doesn't mean much when it can't come down to the surface. I'd guess on conservative side that we see 40mph max gust at IPT.

Let's try to keep discussion in the discussion thread and obs in this thread.

Wind picking up here, just had a 21 mph gust. Strongest of the day. Light rain, pressure down to 975 mb.

Archived