Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Sandy Obs

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

0.15" of rain so far, temp down to 50 degrees, winds have died down to 3-5 mph or so.

Per radar (KDIX and KDOX show this most significantly), there must be some feature preventing heavier returns (30-40 dBz) from penetrating lancaster country. Precip seems to abruptly change direction from west to NW upon hitting the eastern border of the county.

Been off and on light-moderate rain most of the late evening/early morning., with a light breeze.

Things still pretty much on track, with CTP noting bumping up QPF somewhat as well as mentioning about a potential late day/evening changeover to snow starting in Somerset County and spreading across some of the Allegheny plateau with potential for >6" above 2200'. Could eventually be enough for CTP to expand a winter storm warning (or even blizzard warning, if they factor potential wind) into Somerset County with potentially an advisory for Cambria. That would be my educated guess on that matter. I also wouldn't rule out a late changeover for some of the immediatly adjacent central off the Alleghenies, especially on the ridges (Brush, Bald Eagle, Tussey, 7 Mountains, etc). If that happened there probably wouldn't be enough QPF left to have much of any appreciable accums off. But the overall snow impact will be dictated on the track and evolution of Sandys continued extratropical transition.

Amazing that the prospect of yet another late October snow for some currently resides a distant third on the list of major impacts with wind and potential flooding topping it. Flooding wise I expect area wide minor-moderate flooding.. with the more minor nature in the north. When Sandy starts getting close we'll have to monitor position of what will likely be a ribbon of excessive rains located near where the center tracks as it hammers directly into PA. Areas that end up under that could see more major flooding issues. In terms of the region as a whole, any major flooding that crops up will be of the more localized manner.. mainly on smaller and intermediate tributaries. I don't think we'll see the main stem of the Susquehanna misbehave too badly, although I wouldn't rule out minor flooding on that. Current river forecasts keep it well within action stage for the time being. You know how these things can go dealing with a moisture laden tropical system, keep an eye on things if your flood prone. Either way, there's still going to big issues in the poor drainage and urban flooding department.

Winds continue to be the main story for us, which is something I really hadn't been expecting several days ago. I thought models were going a little too crazy with the deepening of this system like most but here we are.. with the latest pressure 950 (thought i saw possibly 946 mb). There has been dropsondes and SMFR's from the hurricane hunters that have been picking up very high winds not too far off the deck. Saw in the main Sandy threat a recent drop had 106kts at 872mb. Just a huge strong wind field with this. Number wise for us Sus valley and south central could see 70-75mph max gusts at the height with rest of the central 60-70mph. Its going to be a long 24-36 hours comin up.

Up to 0.75" of rain, it's been falling at a moderate rate since roughly 0830.

Wind has been increasing, especially within the past 15 minutes. just recorded a 15 mph gust, averaging 5-10 mph. Larger trees are starting to sway. No doubt the wind is stronger than I am recording, my PWS is sheltered and short of erecting a 100' pole, there isn't much I can do about it.

Pressure down to 990 mb

We're just starting to see some gustier winds here as Sandy moves ever closer. Base velocities about 40kts overhead around 1500 feet. With the high resolution nexrad loop on GR2 you can literally see the the start of the very high winds aloft starting to punch into the Sus Valley.There seems to be a decided line of where more consistent high winds could be starting and it appears to be just between Harrisburg and Shippensburg Zak.

We're just starting to see some gustier winds here as Sandy moves ever closer. Base velocities about 40kts overhead around 1500 feet. With the high resolution nexrad loop on GR2 you can literally see the the start of the very high winds aloft starting to punch into the Sus Valley.There seems to be a decided line of where more consistent high winds could be starting and it appears to be just between Harrisburg and Shippensburg Zak.

Guess they will get here in about an hour.

Sandy at 940mb as of 2pm. Unbelieveable. It is also really picking up speed as well (28mph), so that'll likely just help it keep its punch as it crashes thru NJ into PA.

Moderate rain and winds are kicking pretty good now. Already about the equivalent of your typical winter frontal passage outside.

Sandy at 940mb as of 2pm. Unbelieveable. It is also really picking up speed as well (28mph), so that'll likely just help it keep its punch as it crashes thru NJ into PA.

Moderate rain and winds are kicking pretty good now. Already about the equivalent of your typical winter frontal passage outside.

Same, we had a gust just now to 35 mph.

Home in Port Matilda now - when will they hit us?

Archived