• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
OBS Thread for PHL area : Sandy / Post Trop Phase

Shark river hills marina flattened. Boats on front yards. Belmar beach front destroyed. Largest section of boardwalk left is 30 feet. About 20 square blocks still under water. Wall twp looks like A war Zone. Trees on everything. Asbury park beach front survived. All my family down here ok. The pics I took don't do it justice. And to think this scene is repeated for hundreds and hundreds of miles. Can't imagine anything is left on the barrier islands south of me.

• Replies 870
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry about that man. Luckily here in Richland Twp. we only lost power from 900 pm to 130 am. We just took our first drive around and there are several poles down blocking some roads, many red lights out, even on 309. Seems like most others in the area are still without power. Stay warm and venture out for gas soon because at the Giant we saw on 309 there was about a 50 car line.

schools here closed again tomorrow.

gonna need to find gas tomorrow for generator.

looks like it will be few more days before we get power, cable , phone, internet back

Picture of our task force going to Ventnor to do evacs. Ended up rescuing 29 people as a group. Just about the whole city is shot, had 4 feet of water in some places, houses with water spewing out of foundations, it's bad. I'll have more pics up later.

Are they FEMA ambulances? On Saturday I saw a group of them at a rest stop on 76 heading west. And at this point it goes without saying but be safe out there.

Glad that the winds were not too strong today...it was chilly with rain showers but at least I was able to cover up the place where the siding came off of my house until I can fix it this weekend. PECO estimates that the power will be back on at my house by 11 PM tomorrow...not bad compared to an earlier estimate of 6 to 7 days.

Anyone have official surge reports from coastal Nj locations and NYC

Here are a few.

... Maximum water levels from Post-tropical cyclone Sandy and

accompanying surge...

National ocean service gauges

... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ..maximum... ... .astronomical... .storm

location... ... ... ... ... .water level... ... tide level... ..Surge... ..Time

*sandy hook... ... ... ... .13.31 ft MLLW... 4.67 ft MLLW... .8.64 ft... 736 PM 10/29

Atlantic City... ... ... ... 8.90 ft MLLW... 4.08 ft MLLW... .4.82 ft... 824 PM 10/29

Cape May... ... ... ... ... ..8.91 ft MLLW... 5.40 ft MLLW... .3.51 ft... 924 am 10/29

Lewes... ... ... ... ... ... ..8.71 ft MLLW... 4.85 ft MLLW... .3.86 ft... 900 am 10/29

Reedy Point... ... ... ... ..9.10 ft MLLW... 4.04 ft MLLW... .5.06 ft... 154 am 10/30

Philadelphia... ... ... ... 10.62 ft MLLW... 5.26 ft MLLW... .5.36 ft... 406 am 10/30

Cambridge... ... ... ... ... .4.55 ft MLLW... 2.08 ft MLLW... .2.47 ft... 530 PM 10/29

Tolchester Beach... ... ... 4.79 ft MLLW... 1.35 ft MLLW... .3.44 ft... 724 am 10/30

MLLW = mean lower low water

Storm surge is defined as the abnormal rise of water generated by

a storm... over and above the predicted astronomical tide. The

maximum water level... or storm tide... is the sum of the

astronomical tide level and storm surge.

For the purposes of the tables above... the maximum water level

was the highest water level recorded at the designated gauge. The

astronomical tide level was the predicted tide level for the time

that the maximum water level was measured. The storm surge was

calculated by subtracting the astronomical tide level from the

maximum water level.

*The reading for Sandy Hook is the highest level recorded until the gauge

stopped reporting. The actual maximum water levels will be higher.

I must say that I'm very blessed here. Never lost power,

and no damage/flooding. Family all ok as well. At 11

PM, the center was directly overhead, and my ears

certainly felt it. Many folks not so lucky in the CWA

and elsewhere, prayers with them and their long

journey ahead.

My appreciation for Mt. Holly and their storm briefings,

as well as the subforum posters for providing critical

info and data as the anomalous event unfolded.

Also, credit to the rescue crews for evacuating so

many citizens. The shore death toll so far is

remarkably low thanks to the cooperative efforts of

everyone involved.

It looks like a tsunami hit the Jersey Coast...

My cuz, who was in belmar three blocks in, said it WAS like a tsunami..all of a sudden it kept coming, faster and faster...

it was a true "storm surge"...but I didn't know storm surges moved that fast...and rose that fast...thought it was more of a gradual increase.

I just lost power for around 10 minutes. We kept power except for a very brief outage last night that lasted maybe a minute but we lose power tonight? Really?

Probably an issue with them restoring service somewhere else, but I hear you. My wife and I were joking earlier that after keeping power throughout the worst of it, we would randomly lose it tonight...

SILive.com : Hurricane Sandy's death toll on Staten Island grows: Cops confirm 5 fatalities

STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. - Hurricane Sandy has so far claimed at least five lives across Staten Island, the NYPD confirmed.

At 12 p.m. Tuesday, officials making a wellness check discovered the bodies of John Filipowicz Sr., 51, and his son, John Filipowicz Jr., 20, in the basement of their 72 Fox Beach Ave. home in Oakwood Beach, according to NYPD spokesman Det. Joseph Cavitolo.

The storm had inflicted severe damage to the home's roof and structure and both father and son appeared to have been crushed by debris inside the basement. They were pronounced dead on the scene.

At 2:30 p.m., police discovered Ella Norris, 89, dead in her 728 Buel Ave. home in Ocean Breeze. While the cause of her death is pending, officials believe she may have drowned due to flooding.

Sandy had also caused the death of an off-duty police officer, Arthur Kasprzak, 28, assigned to the NYPD's 1st Precinct in Manhattan. Police believe that Kasprzak ushered his girlfriend, his infant child several adult relatives and friends to the attic of his 20 Doty Ave. home in South Beach. He then descended into the basement, where police believe he may have been electrocuted when live wires made contact with flood waters.

Also, at 1 a.m. Tuesday, police discovered the body of Angela Dresch, a 13-year-old eighth-grade student, after a catastrophic wave slammed into her family's home on Yetman Avenue in Tottenville, tearing the structure apart. Her father, George, has not been found, and her mother, Patricia, is in critical condition at Staten Island University Hospital, Prince's Bay.

Police had no information on a report Tuesday morning that firefighters found a person dead inside 164 Grimsby St., Midland Beach.

Hour 26 without power now, vast majority of feasterville still dark, was over at friends in falls twp earlier & the damage was incredible, many large oaks completely uprooted laying across homes & cars. Lower bucks definitely took a beating from sandy

My wife is staying with family in Croyden. They got power back around 8:30 or so. No power for 24 hours or so.

this just in from my friend on fire and rescue in Toms River area: water rescues STILL ongoing in Ocean County. Many more people trapped.

He says he's rescued a $(%* ton so far.

Also posted a bunch of Belmar Beach and Shark River Hills Marina photos in the NYC obs thread.

I'm reposting your pictures here, Jim (since there in the PHI CWA)... hope you don't mind:

post-39-0-21099900-1351661463_thumb.jpg

post-39-0-15535900-1351661467_thumb.jpg

post-39-0-05641100-1351661469_thumb.jpg

post-39-0-17798300-1351661473_thumb.jpg

post-39-0-81648700-1351661475_thumb.jpg

post-39-0-97084200-1351661480_thumb.jpg

post-39-0-91938600-1351661483_thumb.jpg

post-39-0-82312400-1351661486_thumb.jpg

post-39-0-86433900-1351661489_thumb.jpg

made to work, high speed internet :).

home front, still no power, cable, internet, land lines.

area looks like a war zone.

had a hard time finding open gas station.

many power lines still down on the roads and many back roads are barely passable.

many dark areas driving from qtown to lansdale area.

trying to figure out for our area which was worse, last year oct. snow or sandy.

sandy was more widespread around here thats for sure.

Archived