Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
OBS Thread for PHL area : Sandy / Post Trop Phase

• Replies 870
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hopefully, I haven't spoken too soon, but we've been very lucky here tonight. It feels like all hell is breaking loose around (based on everyone's posts), but we've been largely insulated from it somehow. I've gone out in the backyard 4 or 5 times now, and yeah it's windy, but it's not blow me back or blow trees down windy. I've heard a few branches breaking in the woods, but overall pretty meh. I'll take it, having power is a good thing...<knocks wood>

Any idea what's going on in Toms River? An engine task force from Camden County just got toned out to go to Toms River.

Courtesy of NYC forum/ NY times:

Dangerous Water Levels at Nuclear Plant

Rising water threatened the cooling system at the Oyster Creek nuclear plant, in Toms River, N.J., on Monday night. The plant declared an alert at 8:45 PM, which is the second-lowest level of the four-tier emergency scale established by the Nuclear Regulatory Commission.

The water level was more than six feet above normal. At seven feet, the plant would lose the ability to cool its spent fuel pool in the normal fashion, according to Neil Sheehan, a spokesman for the Nuclear Regulatory Commission.

The plant would probably have to switch to using fire hoses to pump in extra water to make up for evaporation, Mr. Sheehan said, because it could no longer pull water out of Barnegat Bay and circulate it through a heat exchanger, to cool the water in the pool.

If ordinary cooling ceased, the pool would take 25 hours to reach the boiling point, he said, giving the operators ample time to take corrective steps. The reactor itself has been shut since Oct. 22 for refueling, so it is relatively cool.

Alerts are declared a handful of times every year among the 104 power reactors around the country.

On a generator back up here @ work. Been steady since 6pm. Lotta wires calls... Had a close call on one of them. All is well.

Good to see your OK. I was on a wires call once and a FP officer drove his personal vehicle right under the transformer which then proceeded to explode on top of him. He was OK but he gave himself a good scare. Maybe they should give all firecops tac sticks? laugh.png

Anyways, the winds out in the Lancaster area are probably the strongest they have been so far right now.

Hopefully, I haven't spoken too soon, but we've been very lucky here tonight. It feels like all hell is breaking loose around (based on everyone's posts), but we've been largely insulated from it somehow. I've gone out in the backyard 4 or 5 times now, and yeah it's windy, but it's not blow me back or blow trees down windy. I've heard a few branches breaking in the woods, but overall pretty meh. I'll take it, having power is a good thing...<knocks wood>

Similar conditions here...me and mine are fine...but increasingly this is my take.

Across the Northeast and in NJ/NY/Conn in particular it is a tale of two storms...in the interior it is a storm of mass disruption and moderate destruction. Widespread power outages, some injuries and structural damage and the occasional fatality by car accident or tree fall. Side by side with these serious impacts are people like you and me...people who have followed along in anticipation and anxiety but who for the most part have been mostly inconvenienced.

The other storm...is an immediate coastal storm and a tale of repeated danger, rescue and unfortunately more frequent fatalities....from Atlantic City...Toms River...the Central Jersey Shore NYC LI and now Connecticut the tale is more grim...serious damage to transportation infrastructure...a disconnect between forecasters and evacuation decision makers...communication failures. Arrogance from the near miss of more serious consequences of Irene. Here, near geographically but psychologically removed from the interior...this has been in places a complete disaster. I gather this both from posters and first responders on this board, friends and family on facebook where I have been actively posting about this storm for days...and coworkers from the union I belong to, some of whom live along the central Jersey shore. This storm surge has taken many by surprise...I can only hope that most found some sort of shelter of last resort and that our magnificent first responders have been able to assist the rest. We will find out in the next few days....but I fear this may be too optimistic. Hoping I am wrong about this....either way a lot of lessons to be learned from this storm.

Jon in Jersey

Similar conditions here...me and mine are fine...but increasingly this is my take.

Across the Northeast and in NJ/NY/Conn in particular it is a tale of two storms...in the interior it is a storm of mass disruption and moderate destruction. Widespread power outages, some injuries and structural damage and the occasional fatality by car accident or tree fall. Side by side with these serious impacts are people like you and me...people who have followed along in anticipation and anxiety but who for the most part have been mostly inconvenienced.

The other storm...is an immediate coastal storm and a tale of repeated danger, rescue and unfortunately more frequent fatalities....from Atlantic City...Toms River...the Central Jersey Shore NYC LI and now Connecticut the tale is more grim...serious damage to transportation infrastructure...a disconnect between forecasters and evacuation decision makers...communication failures. Arrogance from the near miss of more serious consequences of Irene. Here, near geographically but psychologically removed from the interior...this has been in places a complete disaster. I gather this both from posters and first responders on this board, friends and family on facebook where I have been actively posting about this storm for days...and coworkers from the union I belong to, some of whom live along the central Jersey shore. This storm surge has taken many by surprise...I can only hope that most found some sort of shelter of last resort and that our magnificent first responders have been able to assist the rest. We will find out in the next few days....but I fear this may be too optimistic. Hoping I am wrong about this....either way a lot of lessons to be learned from this storm.

Jon in Jersey

Great post. I couldn't have said it better.

Anyone know where these reports are from?

223757_491766580856745_431287737_n.png

I've been watching obs like a hawk all afternoon and I swear I haven't seen anyone (PHL, PNE, TTN, that is) go over 55 kts.

Which ones are you unsure about?

PHL's gust to 68 was between obs in the remarks (gotta learn to read METAR ;) ). I don't know if Mt. Holly dialed in themselves or borrowed the report I mentioned here, but I dialed into TTN after the initial communication loss and got the 68 mph report. After that it lost power.

Somehow, I never lost power in Conshy. Wouldn't be surprised if peak gust here was 55+

I lost power for a minute during the transition to southeast winds but I'm still here. We took a right front eyewall over the city. I've never seen winds like we had last night besides in thunderstorms. I'm planning to take a walk this afternoon to see the scale of the damage around here.

Archived