Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
OBS Thread for PHL area : Sandy / Post Trop Phase

• Replies 870
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We were EXTREMELY lucky here in interior South Jersey (southern Gloucester County). Nobody around here that I know of lost power, while driving around, I haven't seen any trees down between here and Vineland (just a couple of small branches). All schools were back on Wednesday since there were no power issues. This seems to jive with Millville's peak gust of 44 MPH throughout the storm. Any meterological reason for this? I know we weren't on the north side of the circulation, but down south, Cape May gusted to 70 or so. Like I said, certainly not complaining as we were incredibly lucky, but was just wondering.........

Voyager: On the hill in eastern Berks co. (South Mountain, Reading Prong, ect.) I experienced a period that could be described as a lull just before the big winds came at 8:30ish for about 4 hours+. They weren't really that bad when they were from the north, all day. Then there was a lull where I was hoping to be out of the woods.....(but I knew better than to celebrate until the SE winds had their chance.) Once the SE winds hit at 8:30 or 9:00 or whatever they sounded like a train or a big jet taking off! I don't have any wind instruments but it was certainly the most I had experienced here in my whole life. I do know SE winds are usually the worst around here. I could see 81 mph on some of the highest points. ABE did get 70............I'm sure I was in there somewhere. (or at least in the 60's.) I'm at 900'.........almost 500' above the Lehigh Valley but there are many 1,000-1100' spots close by.....with Topton Mountain being 1250. I think some of those high spots were getting the 80+

EDIT: Typing from my parents computer as I still don't have power. Not sure how long it will be if you want a reply back if you have a question.

Left home in Glouceser county to work in central Jersey, first day back working since the storm...and I did..just not where I thought.

I work for the stagehands local that covers Newark and New Brunswick, much of central NJ and the shore..we do staging lights sound etc for theaters, the NJPAC and a tradeshow venue..I was told to report to the venue where we do trade show work for an exhibitor (who I cannot name right now) at a venue (that I cannot name right now) in the Raritan Center corporate and industrial park in Edison, off of the NJ Turnpike near the junction with 440 and I-287. I was surprised when I got this call as I know the park is in a marshy area near the Raritan river...and we know the storm surge that affected the Raritan basin.

Sure enough as I rounded the corner to the building I was supposed to work in I saw storage trailers askew and a clear debris line where the water had come up to. It was clear that at least 2.5 feet had flowed into the building...there was condensation from the surge on the windows. We walked in and immediately walked out as the smell was overwhelming...including a chemical smell. I know that nearby farther down the river is a former superfund site where dangerous chemicals were dumped into the 1970s. I looked at my steward and he looked at me and we shook our heads. We found the one representative of the exhibition company that we usually work for and started asking questions. Was there an approved flood/environmental remediation company on site in charge of the cleanup....what materials might be in the water, had the air quality inside been tested? What protective gear did they have for us to use to clean up? Had they really called us in to do what was essentially flood remediation from storm surge, something that none of us are trained to do? We were met with shrugs and a halfhearted mention that they had rubber gloves for us. We told them this was unacceptable, that we had no idea if the site was safe to work...and we ended up leaving.

From there I went to one of our New Brunswick theaters that only got back power yesterday and worked there instead. Left to go home and proceeded down RT 1 then Rt 130 south...passed by many large downed trees....utility crews everywhere...almost every tree in the Rutgers agricultural field next to rt 1 had uprooted. Seemed like every mile of road alternated between areas with and without power...and there was a long line at every gas station that had power....creating a traffic hazard at every one.

There was very little traffic...and while at work a common refrain was that if my coworkers couldn't find gas this evening they couldn't even get to work tomorrow....also, the theater always rents a Ryder truck to transport scenery between a shop in North Brunswick and the theater in New Brunswick...Ryder said every truck in the area had been rented by the Red Cross.

Quite a different scope of impact than here in Gloucester county and an interesting day.

Left home in Glouceser county to work in central Jersey, first day back working since the storm...and I did..just not where I thought.

I work for the stagehands local that covers Newark and New Brunswick, much of central NJ and the shore..we do staging lights sound etc for theaters, the NJPAC and a tradeshow venue..I was told to report to the venue where we do trade show work for an exhibitor (who I cannot name right now) at a venue (that I cannot name right now) in the Raritan Center corporate and industrial park in Edison, off of the NJ Turnpike near the junction with 440 and I-287. I was surprised when I got this call as I know the park is in a marshy area near the Raritan river...and we know the storm surge that affected the Raritan basin.

Sure enough as I rounded the corner to the building I was supposed to work in I saw storage trailers askew and a clear debris line where the water had come up to. It was clear that at least 2.5 feet had flowed into the building...there was condensation from the surge on the windows. We walked in and immediately walked out as the smell was overwhelming...including a chemical smell. I know that nearby farther down the river is a former superfund site where dangerous chemicals were dumped into the 1970s. I looked at my steward and he looked at me and we shook our heads. We found the one representative of the exhibition company that we usually work for and started asking questions. Was there an approved flood/environmental remediation company on site in charge of the cleanup....what materials might be in the water, had the air quality inside been tested? What protective gear did they have for us to use to clean up? Had they really called us in to do what was essentially flood remediation from storm surge, something that none of us are trained to do? We were met with shrugs and a halfhearted mention that they had rubber gloves for us. We told them this was unacceptable, that we had no idea if the site was safe to work...and we ended up leaving.

Forgot to add...the company when calling our business agent did not indicate anything had happened to the venue...just stating that they needed extra people for a show that was due to come in next week...not a word about the flooding and that we were showing up to do flood clean up.

This never got transmitted (because the wind cut off communications lines, and in fact they are still out), but this goes as my favorite METAR from Sandy:

METAR KTTN 300053Z AUTO 10042G59KT 3SM -RA BR OVC014 13/12 A2831 RMK AO2 PK WND 09059/0048 SLP582 P0001 T01330117 TSNO

This never got transmitted (because the wind cut off communications lines, and in fact they are still out), but this goes as my favorite METAR from Sandy:

METAR KTTN 300053Z AUTO 10042G59KT 3SM -RA BR OVC014 13/12 A2831 RMK AO2 PK WND 09059/0048 SLP582 P0001 T01330117 TSNO

Where can I get the ones for KVAY? I'd like to see the peak wind and lowest pressure.

Where can I get the ones for KVAY? I'd like to see the peak wind and lowest pressure.

http://cdo.ncdc.noaa...d/QCLCD?prior=N

You need to check the hourly (10B) and hourly remarks options separately to get an idea of what happened, the METAR I posted was "regenerated" from both options. Regardless, here it for VAY:

METAR KVAY 300054Z AUTO 07018G43KT 4SM BR OVC008 14/13 A2813 RMK AO2 PK WND 05052/2355 RAE53 SLP525 P0002 T01440133 TSNO

Peak gust 60 mph, minimum pressure 952.5 mb. I'll note that pressure might've gotten a smidge lower in between obs.

http://cdo.ncdc.noaa...d/QCLCD?prior=N

You need to check the hourly (10B) and hourly remarks options separately to get an idea of what happened, the METAR I posted was "regenerated" from both options. Regardless, here it for VAY:

METAR KVAY 300054Z AUTO 07018G43KT 4SM BR OVC008 14/13 A2813 RMK AO2 PK WND 05052/2355 RAE53 SLP525 P0002 T01440133 TSNO

Peak gust 60 mph, minimum pressure 952.5 mb. I'll note that pressure might've gotten a smidge lower in between obs.

Ray,

I think we got all of the peak winds. Thanks for your help if needed.

Voyager: On the hill in eastern Berks co. (South Mountain, Reading Prong, ect.) I experienced a period that could be described as a lull just before the big winds came at 8:30ish for about 4 hours+. They weren't really that bad when they were from the north, all day. Then there was a lull where I was hoping to be out of the woods.....(but I knew better than to celebrate until the SE winds had their chance.) Once the SE winds hit at 8:30 or 9:00 or whatever they sounded like a train or a big jet taking off! I don't have any wind instruments but it was certainly the most I had experienced here in my whole life. I do know SE winds are usually the worst around here. I could see 81 mph on some of the highest points. ABE did get 70............I'm sure I was in there somewhere. (or at least in the 60's.) I'm at 900'.........almost 500' above the Lehigh Valley but there are many 1,000-1100' spots close by.....with Topton Mountain being 1250. I think some of those high spots were getting the 80+

EDIT: Typing from my parents computer as I still don't have power. Not sure how long it will be if you want a reply back if you have a question.

Excuse me for butting in...

I am very close to where you are at, just across the valley towards Kempton. That "lull" was real. If you look at previous posts, alot of people described the same before teh winds cranked up ~9:00-1:30 AM Then the SE winds came in. One of the scariest moments was the hours where my windows were visibly flexing from the winds.

A few friends in Kutztown burrough, shielded by hills around them, did not experience any winds close tothe winds that higher locals did.

It is very possible that higher up you were the stronger gusts got.

Edit: I am still out of power as well

Finally got my power back late last night! Very greatful for that! The heat never felt so good!! I'm even back in work today. Let's hope everyone else without power gets it back real soon before it really gets cold around here. Tensions starting to escalate, especially at the gas pumps where lines are long as there are very few open and at supermarkets where most of them don't have power yet and are only selling non-perishable items. However our mayor advised us yesterday that JCP&L expects to have power restored to the Rt 9 corridor in my part of Monmouth County by tonight. As I type this, I'm hearing more and more people are starting to get their power back in Monmouth County and Ocean County. Great news. I guess all those crews coming from all over the country are starting to pay off. It was weird seeing utility crews from Missouri on my way into work this morning. Glad to have them as we need all the help we can get here in Central Jersey. Good luck to all.

JERSEYSNOWROB - Power is still out in Morganville...send some heat our way!!!

Yeah I'm in the Morganville section too right off of Rt 9 South between Union Hill and Rt 520. I'm thinking we are connected to the Rt 9 grid or something?? Despite the fact that I don't know you personally, we are all in this together so if you need a hot cup of coffee or just need to get your family warmed up, pls send me private message and I'll give you my address and you can stop by when I get home from work tonight.

Rob - Thanks for the kind offer, but I'm good for now, and based on what you said about rt 9, I think

my area (rt 79, north of tennent road) should be restored shortly. Thank God for Livoti's in Matawan,

as they have power, take credit cards, and have nearly all the food you could want. Now it's time

to pay attention to the potential Nor'Easter next week!!!

Yeah I'm in the Morganville section too right off of Rt 9 South between Union Hill and Rt 520. I'm thinking we are connected to the Rt 9 grid or something?? Despite the fact that I don't know you personally, we are all in this together so if you need a hot cup of coffee or just need to get your family warmed up, pls send me private message and I'll give you my address and you can stop by when I get home from work tonight.

Any idea to the areas near 537 and route 9 and south towards Jackson township as far as restoration goes?

Rob - Thanks for the kind offer, but I'm good for now, and based on what you said about rt 9, I think

my area (rt 79, north of tennent road) should be restored shortly. Thank God for Livoti's in Matawan,

as they have power, take credit cards, and have nearly all the food you could want. Now it's time

to pay attention to the potential Nor'Easter next week!!!

Ok no problem but I am here if need be. Yeah rumors spread fast when a store opens up and I also heard they were open. Great Italian market. (i think that's technically Aberdeen though isn't it? On the border maybe) In any event, yeah Wegmans had full power and was open in Manalapan and the Shoprite on union hill by us was open from dawn to dusk but only selling non-perishable items. But if Rt 9 has power today, then they may be back to full services shortly. Be careful out there though as there are still many trees and power lines down.

Archived